Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 02:29 PM

518 posts, read 2,008,060 times

Advertisements

Wondering what has happened (if anything?) regarding any sort of light rail system here? Know more areas are at least discussing it lately?????? Don't know any history????????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 02:38 PM

3,380 posts, read 7,734,758 times
Recommend you use the search tool. This has been beaten worse than a dead horse on this board. Short answer, despite not meeting federal guidelines to get federal money (because of low ridership forecast), the area keeps trying to make this happen. There is a proposal on deck to raise taxes and eventually build rail.

Old 05-02-2008, 02:45 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,624,924 times
It is also being discussed here, since at least 2004, actually. There is way too much for me to explain here right now digging into the history of it, but here are a few places to read up on what's going on and what has already happened.

3-07LatestTransitNeeds

The most recent report can be found at Regional Transit Infrastructure Blueprint.

Urban Planet also has a very extensive thread with a lot of intelligent discussion on this topic. I cannot post a link per the TOS, but google and you shall find. If the search term I mentioned gets cut, DM me and I'll let you know.

Old 05-02-2008, 05:01 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,553,270 times
Quote:
Short answer, despite not meeting federal guidelines to get federal money (because of low ridership forecast), the area keeps trying to make this happen.
Yup, for some reason the city council can't just understand that it won't work and that it'll be another waste of tax payer dollars just like the wasted money they spent on opening up Fayetteville St. that goes nowhere and a civic center that they were told from the "study" they had done that it, too, would be a waste of money.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:47 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,097,983 times
The sprawl at both ends makes rail hard to implement.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:23 PM

190 posts, read 274,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
The sprawl at both ends makes rail hard to implement.
That's absolutely correct. Think Sprawleigh is now the most sprawled (unless we haven't passed Phoenix yet but we are gaining on them quickly). Light rail (or any mass transit FTM) won't fly here unless gas prices hit about $10 gal imho.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:12 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,323,337 times
I'd even take some heavy rail at this point.
Maybe some elevated rail AKA monorail
but that kind of went out with Mondale.

Old 05-03-2008, 05:08 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,097,983 times
The Long Island Railroad is a good example of heavy rail passenger service.

Serves most of the island but not much local transit. That's left to the bus network.

If the density were here, much better public transit would make sense. Sprawl kills it.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:53 AM

22 posts, read 64,415 times
Well, I'm going to disagree with everyone - and here's why...

If you build a light rail people and businesses will move into the area and utilize it. Don't believe me? Go to Charlotte and look at the new construction along the rail line. The problem with the initial proposal is it required a pre-established ridership (density), which simply doesn't exist here with current zoning practices.

Yes, I understand Charlotte's downtown is different than Raleigh, but still.

No, it will never happen though. Too many squeaky wheels have moved 15-25 miles outside of the city center and think that nothing should be built if it doesn't help them directly. Well, I have news for you... you simply can't go from having no system at all, to serving the entire county all at once.

Honestly, if you want a decent transit system, you need to move out of Raleigh.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:05 PM

3,380 posts, read 7,734,758 times
You could massively expand the bus system for a fraction of the cost of rail that would only serve a small group and be inflexible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary