Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 04:23 PM

23 posts, read 49,654 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys,
I'm bringing myself and family over to NC (just waiting for Visa's!). I'm a nurse and have signed up to work at University North Carolina Hospital in Chapel Hill.
I've been looking at properties and counties around the area and all appear to be quite nice and affordable. We have 2 young daughters and 2 dogs and would like to live somewhere with some good outdoor space rather than a city or a built up area. We have found a couple of towns Efland, Cary and a couple more which seem to fit the bill however would appreciate any good advice on any areas within a 15 mile radius of chapel hill which is open, clean and safe for my girls.
Any comments would be great.
Thanks
Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 09:49 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,825,031 times
Cary is pretty built-up. Perhaps you would like Hillsborough, Pittsboro or Efland better?

Old 05-03-2008, 10:24 PM

Thanks for that, we really like the look of Efland and most properties seem to have a bit of land with them.

Old 05-04-2008, 01:44 PM

413 posts, read 1,255,388 times
How old are your girls? I ask b/c schools maybe a concern. OCS schools for the most part are good. As a matter of fact, the NC Teacher of the Year is from Gravelly Hills Middle School. But I will caution you to look at the elementary schools closely. If you settle in Efland, I believe you would be districted Efland Cheeks Elementary, which is one of 2 not up to snuff right now.

Old 05-04-2008, 03:44 PM

thank you,
my girls are, 4 and 18 mnths so by time we get over there approx 6yrs and 3 so we will be looking closely at elementary schools. Schooling is obviously a major factor in deciding on where to live, what areas do you think have a good rep for elementery education around chapel hill and nearby?

Old 05-04-2008, 04:57 PM

Well, ifi you are looking at Efland and have 2 years you should be ok. There is a lot of focus on Efland Cheeks and Central Elementary to bring them back in alignment with the others. I can tell you that the favorite elementary school in Hillsborough, hands down is Cameron Park, but Grady Brown is also very good (wonderful staff!) and you may be districted for GBS depending on where in Efland you pick. If you go with Chapel Hill, they are all pretty much the same. Many will tell you that CHCCS is the top school district in the state (based on numbers of course), but a study was done a couple of years ago btw the CHCCS and the OCS, and the finding showed that at the elementary age there was no difference, so you will be good in either district. If you want your kids to learn Chinese though, then you have to go with CHCCS elementary schools (have to check--not all offer it). That's about the biggest difference at the elementary level.
That said, don't just throw out the baby with the bath water b/c 1 elementary school in an area you really liked isn't up to snuff. As I said, a lot can change in one or 2 years. Just keep an eye on it as you look for property.

Old 05-04-2008, 05:38 PM

Thanks so much,
thats excellent advice and info.
I'm not really too concerned that my children learn a second language or that they are in the best of best schools. As long a I know that they are safe and in a reputable school is enough for me and my wife.
In terms of housing/district, is there anywhere that you would advise a new foreign family to avoid for whatever reason, e.g crime etc?
Thank you again.

Old 05-05-2008, 03:49 AM

1,801 posts, read 2,924,625 times
Default Pittsboro

Hi, i was lucky to visit NC last year as my daughter is currently teaching in the Pittsboro area, small town but would have everything you need , very clean , friendly place surrounded by great countryside they also have a really nice icecream parlour. Another great place was Carboro, they have organic food markets, i wish you luck ...i must say the people are very friendly and helpful and the weather was fantastic...being from the UK Im sure you will appreciate that.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:22 AM

Mattplace, the only area I would avoid (and I'll get flack for this) is Durham. There are pockets of Durham that are wonderful, and northern Durham is nice (still rural enough that you can get a decent amt of land without being stuck with a high price tag), and the school situation is ok at the elementary level. But there are problems with crime, more so than in other areas of the Triangle. I don't think the downtown if very kid friendly either. Brightleaf and Southpoint are nice, but it's not a "small town" downtown--they are malls, period (Brightleaf is cool though b/c it's a converted tobacco factory). Still...looking for kid friendly I'd go looking at Carrboro, Hillsborough, and yes, Pittsboro and Mebane. All are small down, easy to navigate downtown areas and definitely kid friendly. Carrboro is "crunchy" while Chapel Hill is more upscale with a college influence. Mebane is more "mid town America", Pittsboro and Hillsborough are rather eclectic (mix of old timers and artsy newcomers). The funny thing I find in H'boro is you can be having a coffee outside Cup-a-Joe's and having a croissant from the Patissiere next door and up drives a hunter with his fresh kill, needing to weigh the turkey (yes, literally--a turkey) on the outdoor scale next door (it's a hunting/fishing shop next door). I just haven't seen that in Carrboro, Chapel Hill or Mebane...maybe it happens in Pittsboro though. Ah, yes...the small town life in America.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:34 AM

159 posts, read 608,920 times
Quote:
the only area I would avoid (and I'll get flack for this) is Durham. There are pockets of Durham that are wonderful, and northern Durham is nice (still rural enough that you can get a decent amt of land without being stuck with a high price tag), and the school situation is ok at the elementary level. But there are problems with crime, more so than in other areas of the Triangle. I don't think the downtown if very kid friendly either. Brightleaf and Southpoint are nice, but it's not a "small town" downtown--they are malls, period (Brightleaf is cool though b/c it's a converted tobacco factory).
OK, I'll take the bait, ausmerika.

Durham is a city of over 200,000 people. Chapel Hill is a city of just over 50,000. Carrboro is a city of about 17,000. How can you compare Durham with the other two, especially when your main focus is small town feel? Of course Durham's downtown is not "small town"?! Durham has lovely areas, with lovely green trees, great schools, and no more crime than any other town in the U.S. Of course, those of us who know can say that until we're blue in the face and floating through the clouds and it will make no difference to those who do not like or appreciate Durham.

That being said, the OP is looking to work in Chapel Hill at the UNC hospitals. There are plenty of people who live in Durham and commute to UNC, but frankly, I don't recommend it. Traffic is horrific on 15-501 and 54 into Chapel Hill. Commutes would be long. I think the areas ausmerika has mentioned are great possibilities for the OP, especially given the desire for land and country. With care given to the school issue, I think the OP will find some great properties just waiting to be explored.

Last edited by Esperanza27713; 05-05-2008 at 08:36 AM.. Reason: to correct population statistic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary