U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 01:17 AM

1 posts, read 11,927 times
Default No seeums

I am battling an infestation in my home of noseemusl. I have fogged/bombed my housed 3 times with foggers (even those that list gnats), but no results. I even used garden spray on the lawn and plants including the house it self. I fill my pool with clorine too and I still cannot get rid of them. I gasp for air when I walk in after a fog job and before 2 minutes are up I am being bitten. These things fly, their bites are very painful. You cannot see them unless they land on your pc screen or on something white and they must stay there for a moment, but I have found they move faster than the human eye can.

These nasty things also nip at my cat. I read on the internet to use oils, menthol, pungent ordor things. Stuff use for sore musles, or vick for colds it helps, but they still nip at you but so far the nip is not a painful bite.

I also read on the Net that these things have killed chickens and other birds in Illinois. There are many names for these devils but it all the same bug.

I have contacted Terminix to find the nest and KILL these devils. I also put medicated Gold Bond ponder on my cat to help her. But, the bottom line is we are both miserable and cannot hardly wait for the lengthen of life on these things to expire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 04:26 AM

42 posts, read 111,069 times
Default Just hearing about the NoSeeUms is freaking me out!

Alright, folks... as I've posted before, we're making our 4th trip to NC next month (June '08). I am a very faithful reader of this Forum (for 3 years now), and though reading about snakes (King Cobras, no less!) and some of the other wildlife raised my eyebrows, the one post I can't seem to get past is this one about your lovely NoSeeUms. Hubby and I just know we would flip out if we had issues like this in our home. Are there particular areas of The Triangle that are more prone to these lovely creatures than others are? We are considering Clayton (due to a job offer) or Cary (should we decide we don't mind the commute). I'm guessing Cary has less of a problem than Clayton, being that Clayton is still very rural? Adapting to the humidity is one thing... getting clobbered by NoSeeUms is quite another! THANKS!

Old 07-19-2008, 01:33 PM

1 posts, read 11,821 times
Default Other Considerations For Those Bites

Ahhhh .. attack of the dreaded No-See-Ums!

From my own experience, replace the screens in your windows. Normal screening will not deter biting midges (no-see-ums). Caulking around the window frames will help, too. Then, spray the area with citronella every couple weeks. Also, I found a program that generates a high-pitched frequency that actually deters mosquitoes. The program is freeware (!) and developed by 'BKT Corporation.' You can find it on C/net, listed under 'anti-mosquito software.' I have similar software on my mobile phone, too

Posted by folks on another forum (dermatology), here are some solutions for the dilemma:

1. Effective repellent (no DEET): 2 cups witch hazel, one tablespoon citronella, one tablespoon white vinegar. Combine in a pump spray bottle. You can increase the potency by adding 900mg cleocin HCL (just dump in the capsule powder). Courtesy Diane Thaler

2. Effective repellent (no DEET): Pennyroyal oil applied to shoes, patches of clothing and hats. (Just don't consume it.) If the smell is overpowering, add a few drops of citronella, lemon oil, lime oil, lavendar oil or peppermint oil. Courtesy of Daniel Siegel, M.D. MS

3. Vitamin B (Thiamine) orally. Usually we give 300 mg OD for adults, 150 mg for children OD and 75 mg for babies OD. It works by altering the scent of the individual to make them less attractive to mosquitoes. Courtesy Jonathan Yu, MD3.

4. Atopic children and adults may have exaggerated responses to mosquito bites. An excellent prophylaxis is Zyrtec (doesn't prevent the bites, but they don't have such severe reactions). For infants, try hydroxazine syrup. Courtesy Mark Naylor, M.D.

Plants that repel no-see-ums, mosquitoes and such: Insect repelling plants are citrosa, marigolds, rosemary, basil, mints, tansy, sage, rue and a ton of others. Courtesy of 'The Dirt Doctor' forum.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:14 AM

1 posts, read 9,871 times
Hey folks, I dont' have a repellent solution, but Preparation H is the best ever for bites. Takes the sting and itch and swelling out. I've stopped using bug spray cuz I can just apply this stuff when I get bit. I only resort to bug spray when there are so many I can't function.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:01 PM

476 posts, read 857,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingding View Post
Hey folks, I dont' have a repellent solution, but Preparation H is the best ever for bites. Takes the sting and itch and swelling out.
I don't EVEN want to know how you figured that out!

Old 06-26-2010, 05:41 AM

628 posts, read 794,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
If it's mosquitoes that are biting you, try tying a bounce dryer sheet to the belt loop of your jeans. Yhea, I know it looks crazy but it works! I don't get bitten but my daughter can be standing right beside me and the mosquitoes love her! The bounce works.

Vicki
Well I tried your solution early this morning while watering my plants in the front & back. I must say if this was a joke you got me . My neighbors (if any up so early) probably thought I had toilet paper stuck to my pants but I gave it a try. I sit here on my computer with whelps covering my legs and arms, Benadryl and Hydrocortisone covering my body. Might work for you but NOT for me.
Funny thing there was a time when a mosquito wouldn't touch me. The difference between now and then ? I drank (booze) like a fish back then and don't touch the stuff today. I wonder .....

Old 06-30-2010, 06:05 AM

2,595 posts, read 3,650,344 times
One Word: DEET.

That's what works for me. Yes, it's a chemical. Yes, there is some controversy about it.

However, for me it's the thing that works.

My summer scent is DEET. 30% concentration or more.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:33 AM

268 posts, read 362,288 times
If you are talking about ankle height bites, they are likely biting midges or gnats that tend
to stay in the grass. Chiggers are a possibility as well as the clover mite, what we always
called redbugs in LA. They look like a TINY red spider or tick-like critter.
Ask a local pest
management firm to treat for clover mites and you will get taken care of. don't mess with
off the shelf remedies. By the time you pay for all that you will be in for the same money
a pro would charge you. And they will use glue monitors to determine what you have and
treat for it with a chemical that works and is safe.

Once the bites get above the knee, you are looking at mosquitoes, midges and biting flies.
A LITTLE tougher to treat for, but doable. The 'skin so soft' and dryer sheet remedies will
help with the gnats and mosquitoes.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:44 PM

229 posts, read 237,993 times
Trick is to eat them before they eat you!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary