Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 01:30 PM

83 posts, read 335,598 times

Advertisements

Okay..I have posted before and yes, I still have not sold my house in Apex! I believe we have had 56 showings in the almost 4 month timeframe, and yet not one single offer. Our house is very clean and shows well(I have the countless feedback to show it), has been reduced in price once by 8K and will soon be another 7K (all in all 15K), which will take it down to approx. 235 for almost 2100 sq feet. We are at the top end in terms of square footage so the smaller homes are selling, even at a much higher price per sq. foot.

I know the market is nowhere near what it was just last summer and the only thing that I can possibly think of is the price. It would be one thing if it shows terrible, is cluttered, etc. However, our agent even had 2 other agents that they know come view the property and they had 0 suggestions.

Do any of you all have any comments or suggestions about how to get an offer? I greatly appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 02:10 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,692,353 times
What are the people from the showings telling you? You need to find out from them what kept them from moving forward. Of course none of those people may have been ready to buy. There are a lot of people out there "just looking".

Old 05-04-2008, 02:16 PM

281 posts, read 1,107,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexguy View Post
Okay..I have posted before and yes, I still have not sold my house in Apex! I believe we have had 56 showings in the almost 4 month timeframe, and yet not one single offer. Our house is very clean and shows well(I have the countless feedback to show it), has been reduced in price once by 8K and will soon be another 7K (all in all 15K), which will take it down to approx. 235 for almost 2100 sq feet. We are at the top end in terms of square footage so the smaller homes are selling, even at a much higher price per sq. foot.

I know the market is nowhere near what it was just last summer and the only thing that I can possibly think of is the price. It would be one thing if it shows terrible, is cluttered, etc. However, our agent even had 2 other agents that they know come view the property and they had 0 suggestions.

Do any of you all have any comments or suggestions about how to get an offer? I greatly appreciate it!
Price is definitely the number one thing that will get more buyers in....but again without seeing it I have no real answers, but I will say that some of my listings are showing a lot, but offers are stagnant and some of my listings hardly show....just hang in there and reduce if you can. Buyers know they have the upper hand now.

For the record the smaller the house the price per sq. ft. usually goes up a bit ....more sq. ft. price goes down a bit.. hard to explain, but it's kind of like the law of diminishing returns.....That is why you can't just look at tax records and price a house just on sq. ft. You have to compare apples to apples. Compare the price you are asking to other homes the same size that have sold in the last 3-4 months....that is where your price should be.

Old 05-04-2008, 03:10 PM

347 posts, read 933,835 times
just throwing this out there.

New construction out in Fuquay you can get 3000 sq feet for 230. I would say that it is a bit overpriced.

Old 05-04-2008, 03:26 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,692,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plf86 View Post
just throwing this out there.

New construction out in Fuquay you can get 3000 sq feet for 230. I would say that it is a bit overpriced.
You can't really compare that way. If you did, go to Wendell where you can get 3000sf for under $200k.

Old 05-04-2008, 03:30 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,693,412 times
Have you had second showings? That to me would be a good indication that you're getting close. Also, is your realtor using Central Showings and if so do you have access to the online feedback? They are using a survey now and if the buyer's agent fills it out you should understand why you're not getting an offer. I can't see how you could be too far off price wise if you're getting so much activity. Hang in there. I can relate because we went through this for two months but went under contract three weeks ago. As far as the comparison of FV to Apex, apples to oranges.

Old 05-04-2008, 03:47 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,331,278 times
Look at why people buy:
They like it (it shows well and is in a good neighborhood)
It's a good value (price vs competitors' pricing)
It's easy to buy (think "No Payments for a Year" or "No Interest for a Year" car and furniture come-ons)

Are you offering incentives? Are you offering seller concessions to help pay the buyers' closing costs? I tell my clients that they need to make it "easy" for someone to buy their property. Once "easy" is taken care of it comes down to price, price, price.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:28 PM

347 posts, read 933,835 times
I am just saying this because That is the price range we we looking in. We are probably 20 miles away from his house and got ~900 more square feet.

It is a tough time to sell in this area since there is a boat load of new construction to contend with on top of Resales.

I just searched a Real estate site and pulled 112 listings for SFH in Cary, Apex and Holly spirings 220 to 240.

Old 05-04-2008, 05:00 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,084,943 times
Speaking of "no payments for a year"....someone I know just sold their house here in MA---it had been on the market for over 8 months. They were going to reduce the price about $20K but decided to offer "interest only" payments for a year for the buyer. That comes out to about $15K, depending on final interest, price, down payment, etc.

After advertising this, they got 3 offers and a bidding war on their house. IN THIS TERRIBLE MARKET!

Old 05-04-2008, 05:06 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,676,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plf86 View Post
I am just saying this because That is the price range we we looking in. We are probably 20 miles away from his house and got ~900 more square feet.

It is a tough time to sell in this area since there is a boat load of new construction to contend with on top of Resales.

I just searched a Real estate site and pulled 112 listings for SFH in Cary, Apex and Holly spirings 220 to 240.
Not everyone is willing to drive an extra 20 miles for an extra 900 sq ft. That's the wonders of the market. I drive 4 miles to work and if I could shorten my commute, I probably would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary