Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 10:05 AM

12 posts, read 57,990 times

Advertisements

Hello all!
My husband recently received a job offer in the Raleigh area. I am quite excited as we are in Baltimore right now and only too anxious to move on! I'm wondering what the best areas in and around Raleigh are. We are looking for a modest home in the mid 100's, but in a nice, safe area where we can begin a family. We are a young couple so close to a popular area, but family-oriented as well as we would like to begin a family in the next year or so. I was told that I would love Apex. It seems quite quaint after doing just a little research. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 10:09 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,583,651 times
Well Apex is a fairly quaint and charming town that is very family friendly, but you really won't find many single family homes in the mid $100k range in most of that town. Maybe if you went a little further out to Fuquay-Varina, or could settle for a townhome or condo.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:16 AM

52 posts, read 132,432 times
I echo previous post. Some Townhome/condo are available in Apex, Cary, Morrisville area in that range.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:22 AM

43,261 posts, read 77,033,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberlyannclark View Post
Hello all!
My husband recently received a job offer in the Raleigh area. I am quite excited as we are in Baltimore right now and only too anxious to move on! I'm wondering what the best areas in and around Raleigh are. We are looking for a modest home in the mid 100's, but in a nice, safe area where we can begin a family. We are a young couple so close to a popular area, but family-oriented as well as we would like to begin a family in the next year or so. I was told that I would love Apex. It seems quite quaint after doing just a little research. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

You are at the lower end of price for single family homes, but there are opportunities in Apex, Holly Springs, and Fuquay Varina.
Apex is definitely a fine small town, as are the others.

Your choice of town may be influenced by the exact location of your husbands work, and the commute he will desire.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:37 AM

12 posts, read 57,990 times
Any suggestions on what to avoid? ...another thread suggests avoiding southern Raleigh?

Old 05-05-2008, 11:44 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,583,651 times
I lived in southern Raleigh, off Tryon Road just past Lake Wheeler...you can find more single family homes in your pricerange in that area; but that is where we left for Apex and would strongly suggest Apex over that area of Raleigh.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:56 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,767,204 times
My first home in Cary was right around $100K when I bought it in the early 90s. Last I checked prices in that neighborhood, they were up to around $160K. 2 BR, 1200 sq ft, .2 acre lot, on a slab. Close to the Cary Y. Great for a starter home. Heck, in retrospect selling it was a mistake, should have kept for a rental.

It was more than sufficient for 2 adults and a small child.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:32 AM

5 posts, read 19,134 times
There are several homes in the Apex, Cary, Holly Springs area that will fall into your price range. Find a good real estate agent / agency, there are several good and safe neighborhoods in the Triangle, the most important factor will be your proximity to work. With gas prices rising it makes sense to live closer to work, you can put the extra gas money into your home budget.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:23 PM

2 posts, read 3,541 times
I lived in a neighborhood in NE Raleigh for several years - Hedingham. It's a large neighborhood with tons of young families. It's got two full-sized pools, and a gym with a full basketball court, aerobics/dance floor, and weight room. I do think you'd do well to try to match your home area with your husband's office area. For instance, if he's in north Raleigh, he'll burn up a ton of high dollar gas and waste a lot of time driving back and forth from Fuquay, Clayton, or even Apex (depending on the exact locations. Good luck searching. BTW, I highly recommend fmrealty.com to look at houses. It's simple to search based on prices, zip codes, and any other key factors, and the pictures are generally better displayed there than any other site.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:48 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,088,107 times
You can find lovely homes in the mid 100's in beautiful Brentwood, a subdivision in North/Northeast Raleigh. They are homes built in the 1960's, but they are well built, have good-sized yards, streetlights, and sidewalks. We have a nice park and active neighborhood association, too. I guess I can't provide the link on this forum, but search for those two terms -- beautiful and brentwood -- on Google, and you'll find it. There are 3 slide shows. If you have any questions, let me know. I am NOT a realtor, by the way. I just live here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary