Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2020, 06:04 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,620,809 times

Advertisements

My 1 week old Kia Soul got hit today at a traffic light today . It's mostly just paint & plastic damage on the bumper cover/quarter panel, and thankfully the other person stopped so it shouldn't impact my insurance. Any recent recommendations on a shop to do the repair? The car has a white pearl finish, so I'm looking for best possible paint job quality.

Figures that my first new car in 17 years doesn't make it to 200 miles without getting hit! I probably should have waited until 2021 to buy a new car.. 2020 has just been a hot mess!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2020, 06:10 PM

494 posts, read 816,419 times
Sorry to hear about your accident. I hope you weren't hurt. Precision Collision does great paint work. https://precisioncollision.net/

Old 12-06-2020, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbeckster View Post
Sorry to hear about your accident. I hope you weren't hurt. Precision Collision does great paint work. https://precisioncollision.net/
Thankfully, neither myself nor the other driver were hurt - just our cars. I was stopped at light waiting to make a right hand turn, light turned green, I started to go and then he scraped the left rear quarter panel on my car. Guess I didn't move fast enough!

Thank you for the recommendation!

Old 12-06-2020, 06:24 PM

6,654 posts, read 5,590,752 times
if you're going through insurance, see if your insurance company has any recommendations about body shops that they work with in the area. I know I've taken my car to Caliber Collision a few times since they were on my insurance company's list and it was a pretty painless process.

Old 12-06-2020, 07:27 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
We had our car repaired at the Caliber in Apex and were very happy. As you may know I work in this field...most of the insurance companies use most of the same shops as preferred vendors who will guarantee their work. Around here the Calibers on Maynard and Piney Plains, Triangle Collision in Morrisville and Kenny Hawkins in Raleigh (not far from PNC Arena) should be on most of the company's programs.

One week old, that really sucks. Who is the other guy insured with?

Old 12-06-2020, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
We had our car repaired at the Caliber in Apex and were very happy. As you may know I work in this field...most of the insurance companies use most of the same shops as preferred vendors who will guarantee their work. Around here the Calibers on Maynard and Piney Plains, Triangle Collision in Morrisville and Kenny Hawkins in Raleigh (not far from PNC Arena) should be on most of the company's programs.

One week old, that really sucks. Who is the other guy insured with?
I planned to talk to Caliber in Apex as I live near there. My main concern is getting a good match on the paint, otherwise it will really irritate me (for the next 10+ years that I plan to keep the car for). The part that is damaged is one big piece that wraps around the back of the car.

The guy is insured with "Safe Auto" which doesn't give me warm & fuzzy feelings. But, I guess my insurance will duke it out with them (NC Farm Bureau)?

And yeah, having less than 200 miles on it and getting hit sucks. Not my worst new car collision experience - in 1994 my brand new Ford Explorer got hit while I was giving the leasing lady a ride back to the car dealership after I just signed the paperwork. I had it for all of 15 minutes before it got crunched. Ugh.

Old 12-06-2020, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
I planned to talk to Caliber in Apex as I live near there. My main concern is getting a good match on the paint, otherwise it will really irritate me (for the next 10+ years that I plan to keep the car for). The part that is damaged is one big piece that wraps around the back of the car.

The guy is insured with "Safe Auto" which doesn't give me warm & fuzzy feelings. But, I guess my insurance will duke it out with them (NC Farm Bureau)?

And yeah, having less than 200 miles on it and getting hit sucks. Not my worst new car collision experience - in 1994 my brand new Ford Explorer got hit while I was giving the leasing lady a ride back to the car dealership after I just signed the paperwork. I had it for all of 15 minutes before it got crunched. Ugh.
Matching the paint shouldn't be a problem for a big shop like Caliber. Since your car is brand new they may just replace the bumper with an OEM one.

I would DEFINITELY go with Farm Bureau and let them deal with the other insurer. FB is excellent, hopefully they can work it out with the other company before your car is done being repaired and they can waive your deductible so you don't have to pay it when you pick the car up.

Good luck, glad no one was hurt.

(this didn't happen at Davis and High House did it?)

Old 12-06-2020, 08:03 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
I'll also go along with Caliber (though we use the one on Glendale) DH has an unfortunate history of parking lot fender benders, and Caliber has always done a great job - including doing a bit of work on unrelated dents at no additional charge. (Maybe a frequent flyer perk?)

We've referred neighbors - all of whom have been very happy. Especially the guy who ripped off a side view mirror when backing out of his garage: they helped him order a new one on eBay and find youtube videos to self install.

Old 12-06-2020, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Matching the paint shouldn't be a problem for a big shop like Caliber. Since your car is brand new they may just replace the bumper with an OEM one.

I would DEFINITELY go with Farm Bureau and let them deal with the other insurer. FB is excellent, hopefully they can work it out with the other company before your car is done being repaired and they can waive your deductible so you don't have to pay it when you pick the car up.

Good luck, glad no one was hurt.

(this didn't happen at Davis and High House did it?)
Yeah, I was thinking I'd push for an OEM bumper. My deductible is $1K, so I definitely want the other guy's company to pay.

This was at Aviation Parkway & Globe Road near Brier Creek. The police officer who took my report says there are tons of accidents there. She also mentioned that a lot of people just keep driving after they hit another car, which boggles my mind. So kudos to the young gentleman who hit me for doing the right thing!

I've personally witnessed three accidents at Davis & High House - and am always VERY careful when I go through there.

Thanks for the recommendations!

Old 12-07-2020, 05:16 AM

If you ever get hit and run you’ll be out that deductible. Invariably when I have a claim like that people are not thinking about how much they’ve saved over the years - they are very unhappy about having to pay it. Food for thought.

I live very close to DD/HH and still avoid at all costs. But I’m familiar with the one where you are and can see it happening there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary