Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 10:52 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,106,298 times

Advertisements

For the most part it should help alleviate the majority of the reassignments. Remember that reassignment based on diversity is a small percentage of WCPSS reassignments. Most are done to fill new schools and alleviate overcrowding. Plus, now the new YR school assignments will likely have a more "natural" pattern of diversity as the schools can now cast a wider net for it's base population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 11:22 AM

4,606 posts, read 7,689,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
Oops - I missed an earlier thread on this (I searched - honest I did!). In any case, here is the proper thread for any follow-ups:

Court rules against parental consent in school calendar battle
LOL. No worries, threads merged.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:26 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,448,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
The NC Court of Appeals has ruled in favor of Wake County in the battle with WakeCares over mandatory year-round schools. This overrules the decision last year to require parental consent before assigning children to year-round schools.

I am not surprised the NC Court of Appeals ruled against the parents in favor of the school system.

With the rapid growth in the area, and the need for schools, restructuring the school day and the academic calendar looked plausible. It should help considerably with the what-has-been an annual redistricting of Wake County's school-aged children. While a year round calendar is not popular with some Wake County parents, it makes good sense, educationally, and is the best use of expensive school buildings.

If the issue can be allowed to settle down now, perhaps the school system can put more effort into trying to arrange that children from families follow the same calendar, at least, and little ones are not redistricted year after year after year, which is far worse than a year round calendar.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:36 AM

22 posts, read 64,558 times
I have to agree.

YR decreases costs and complexity of a mixed system. There are bigger concerns for the majority of parents than YR.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:45 AM

492 posts, read 1,152,157 times
I'm so weary of this argument. Whats the big deal with year round assignment? I had 3 sons that completed k-8 on yr scheduling in Wake schools. I think a lot of parents make a much bigger deal out of this than necessary. I also think many people are confused by the title of "Year Round" and assume their children will have no breaks and will go to school 52wks of the year. Every track gets a break during the summer, I don't get the idea that "we can't take family vacations." Well, unless you vacation all 3 months, YR won't stop you from vacations. There will also be 3 other trackouts in the year to get a vacation squeezed in. The only people who have the right to complain are the ones who's children cannot either be on the same track or the same YR schedule (w/out having kids also on traditional) Growth in this county is out of control, what do people expect if not YR scheduling? We forget that kids adapt very well, and my sons actually loved YR. We were track 1, had a break for every season of the year. Shouldn't we all pay more attention to the CONTENT our students are being taught and the actual GRADES they achieve rather than when their school breaks will be? Imagine if we all showed this same passion for the curriculums that fail our kids every grade? Hmm.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:55 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,771,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalicoskiesNC View Post
The only people who have the right to complain are the ones who's children cannot either be on the same track or the same YR schedule (w/out having kids also on traditional)
Lots of parents are in that group that have a right to complain. None of the High Schools are YR, so a lot of families end up with their HSer in Traditional and their younger kids in YR, which creates havoc.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:29 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,733,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
Lots of parents are in that group that have a right to complain. None of the High Schools are YR, so a lot of families end up with their HSer in Traditional and their younger kids in YR, which creates havoc.
That wouldn't be fun. But I think I'd like having my kids in a YR schedule, of course only if all of them were on the same schedule. I don't get all the fuss about moving to a year-round schedule without other extenuating circumstances such as having other kids in traditional-calendar schools).

Old 05-06-2008, 12:39 PM

906 posts, read 2,381,852 times
I'm a fan of YR--applied for our two kids but we were denied even after appeals and offering to go to 4 different YR schools. As for MYR, I wouldn't mind making the sacrifice of having my kids on two different schedules (HS/MS) IF everybody else was required to make that same sacrifice.

What I cannot support is forcing only some families to deal with this and not everybody. If WCPSS wants to claim that all schools are good and that they should be able to send you where ever they want to for growth or diversity reasons then the schools should be consistent.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:42 PM

166 posts, read 381,298 times
Default Its official. They're omnipotent

I disagree that this will put an end to reassignments because the BOE can now plan for growth. Its been clearly shown that the growth issue is a red herring. Our school was right at capacity, with the numbers going down. Growth has stopped in our area. And yet, we are reassigned to YR. Our traditional opt out is in Raleigh. The kids near that Raleigh school's opt out is our original school. Now, they are more of the 'right' characterization than our kids. They will continue to reassign where the 'numbers' are not 'correct'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
I can see two dissatisfied groups remaining long after this ruling: 1) the parents who are opposed to year-round schools for the simple reason that it is not the way they were educated; and 2) the parents who have elementary aged children in a YR school and secondary aged children in a traditional (Sept thru May) program - assuming the secondary schools don't go YR also.

The biggest benefit of this ruling may be the demise of reassignments. Since WCPSS can now convert buildings to YR schedule to accomodate student growth in the neighborhoods immediately surrounding the school, there will be no need to forcibly re-assign students to balance building load.

Assuming the student reassignments cease, opposition to YR programs may significantly decline too.

Let's hope this ruling/change proves itself as the first step in a healing process, and not just the latest salvo in a continuing war.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:04 PM

997 posts, read 4,644,836 times
It's always been about numbers and balance and always will. Whether you are for or against year round this whole mess needs to stop but I have a feeling it never will. It's just getting so ridiculous. What's important is our children's education and it seems it's taking a back seat to the fight between the school board and parents. We've lived in alot of places due to my husband's job, and I have never seen a school system with so much controversy as this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary