Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 05:27 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,449,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NChomesomeday View Post
I think the YR concept where in CA where my sister taught (Monterey) was vastly different. I'm not even sure why they went YR---the plan doesn't seem as though it would relieve overcrowding. The sessions were each about 9 weeks long with 3 week breaks in between and a 6 week break in the summer. All the schools in the district were on the same calendar and all the kids went the same times.
Sounds like this YR plan had less to do with overcrowding, and more to do with what makes better sense, educationally.

As both a teacher, and a parent, I would have really liked the YR school calendar. It would have helped with teacher, and student, burnout, and would have afforded opportunities to take children places that just become too crowded, too hot, too expensive during the summer months. Makes a big difference trekking outdoors around the Mall in DC during the Fall and Spring.

During the three weeks interim, many schools (and systems) offer either enrichment programs or interventions for students struggling with a concept, and teachers who choose to work those three weeks, can. Another benefit to teachers and students alike is that teachers may choose to substitute-teach for their colleagues who need a day for a DR's appointment, or a week to recover from minor surgery.

Most YR plans I have seen, afford families more time together at holiday time -- after the first of the year -- which is really nice, whether the family travels or not, and there is roughly a 6 weeks break over the summer, for many around the Fourth of July.

Granted, it takes a concerted effort for some families to make the YR schedule(s) work, especially in families with children at different grade levels, but with schools focusing less on the whole issue of YR, more time can now be devoted to addressing some of the other concerns, like trying to honor requests for families to be on the same YR schedules. I think sometimes parents suffer from a single-mindedness, assuming they are the only ones for whom something may be difficult, and may be 'overlooking the forest for the trees.'

As a now retired HS teacher, I don't see how a HS schedule could be adapted to year round. Perhaps it would work with 9, 10, 11 but Graduation for SRs would still need to be prior to the summer, wouldn't it, given many will head to colleges in August? Maybe someone can share how a YR HS might work. I'd be curious, as it certainly appeals to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 06:34 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
Sounds like this YR plan had less to do with overcrowding, and more to do with what makes better sense, educationally.

As both a teacher, and a parent, I would have really liked the YR school calendar. It would have helped with teacher, and student, burnout, and would have afforded opportunities to take children places that just become too crowded, too hot, too expensive during the summer months. Makes a big difference trekking outdoors around the Mall in DC during the Fall and Spring.

During the three weeks interim, many schools (and systems) offer either enrichment programs or interventions for students struggling with a concept, and teachers who choose to work those three weeks, can. Another benefit to teachers and students alike is that teachers may choose to substitute-teach for their colleagues who need a day for a DR's appointment, or a week to recover from minor surgery.

Most YR plans I have seen, afford families more time together at holiday time -- after the first of the year -- which is really nice, whether the family travels or not, and there is roughly a 6 weeks break over the summer, for many around the Fourth of July.

Granted, it takes a concerted effort for some families to make the YR schedule(s) work, especially in families with children at different grade levels, but with schools focusing less on the whole issue of YR, more time can now be devoted to addressing some of the other concerns, like trying to honor requests for families to be on the same YR schedules. I think sometimes parents suffer from a single-mindedness, assuming they are the only ones for whom something may be difficult, and may be 'overlooking the forest for the trees.'

As a now retired HS teacher, I don't see how a HS schedule could be adapted to year round. Perhaps it would work with 9, 10, 11 but Graduation for SRs would still need to be prior to the summer, wouldn't it, given many will head to colleges in August? Maybe someone can share how a YR HS might work. I'd be curious, as it certainly appeals to me.

I agree! I tried to give you rep points but I "must spread it around".

Old 05-07-2008, 07:07 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,343,126 times
Default NC: Court rules against Parental consent in school calendar battle

This one is a tough one for those going through it or have to face the year round versus traditional school calendar. Certainly does not seen to be any winners in this one. Its always tough when the parents don't have the final say in their child's development but in this case there is truly no other alternative IMO. Schools cannot be built fast enough to accommodate the Wake County growth. Unfortunately its the students and parents that have to accommodate the rapid growth situation.

Court rules against parental consent in school calendar battle :: WRAL.com

It certainly should be a priority for all those moving here that only know the traditional school calender to make sure they understand what a year round schedule is. It is one thing if your children are just starting school and go to a year round school but it is something else if you move here with Middle School age children. As the Middle school children of year round schools move to high school they will go back to a traditional calendar, so if you have one in Middle school and one in High school their schedules will be different. It will make it more challenging to plan family vacations for sure.

I am not pro year round nor against year round, it is just a practical way to manage the growth IMO. All I would suggest is you research the public school options as part of your overall research into your move here. It will be one less item to adjust to when you and your family make the move.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:23 AM

906 posts, read 2,382,037 times
MAtoNC--I think in Las Vegas they automatically convert a school to year round when it hits a certain capacity percentage. And they have 'neighborhood' schools, right? So they can't manipulate the population of the school as easily as they can here. Here in Wake County, many of the most overcrowded schools were never even considered for conversion.

RDSLOTS--Some of the schools were converted due to overcrowding, but at least 1, Leesville Elementary, was converted in order to raise their F&R%. Leesville is very close to Brier Creek ES, a year round school that I think is not close to full and is about a mile or two away from a brand new YR school opening this summer (Sycamore Creek). I was at a Community Engagement Meeting last fall where the head of Growth Management was asked about this. A Leesville parent asked why they were converted when there were these other YR schools so close by. She said that they could have dealt with the overcrowding for this current year before Sycamore Creek opened and then they would have been fine. The GM guy said, "Even if Leesville stayed traditional with its current population we would still have to reassign about 200 kids out of Leesville and which ones would you have us pick?" When asked why they'd have to move 200 kids out of Leesville, the answer was to bring in low income kids to raise the F&R.

I do agree with you that with a concerted effort, most families could make YR work. My problem is with the fact that only some families are required to make that effort/sacrifice.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:33 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,088,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post

I agree--I think it was an educational thing, not an overcrowding thing. My sister liked the schedule a lot, too.

As far as graduation--the seniors go until the 6 week summer break and then they're done. The course load was set up that way. It's not unlike those colleges that have co-op programs. Kids go through the summer between freshman/sophomore/junior years and then finish up normally senior year.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:18 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,986,002 times
Quote:
I agree--I think it was an educational thing, not an overcrowding thing. My sister liked the schedule a lot, too.

As far as graduation--the seniors go until the 6 week summer break and then they're done. The course load was set up that way. It's not unlike those colleges that have co-op programs. Kids go through the summer between freshman/sophomore/junior years and then finish up normally senior year.
That's what I was thinking. Even if they did it the way WCPSS does it, you graduate from your current grade at the end of June (unless you're track 1, then you graduate at the beginning of June). Regardless, high school graduation could be held the last week of June.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:55 AM

551 posts, read 2,287,734 times
How does YR work for sports, music, and other activities? Do the kids have to continue going to practices and games, for example, even when they are tracked out?

Old 05-07-2008, 11:36 AM

186 posts, read 659,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicky View Post
How does YR work for sports, music, and other activities? Do the kids have to continue going to practices and games, for example, even when they are tracked out?
Yes, students need to go to practices and games regardless of their track. Of course getting onto a team is next to impossible. Depending on the sport, there are only about fifteen to thirty spots for 500 kids.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:33 PM

656 posts, read 1,991,633 times
Quote:
If that were truly the way WCPSS did reassignments then I think you'd be correct. But as I have come to realize, these reassignments are some (in my opinion) misguided social experiment to achieve perfect diversity.
You are right on!!! Totally agree with your statement and your opinion!!

Old 05-07-2008, 01:52 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,103,706 times
This certainly confirms that we're making the right choice for us and our child by listing our house in Wake County next week and buying a place in Durham County! I'm so ready to bid good riddance to my long-time home of Wake County. There's plenty I'll miss, but that certainly does not include the mess that WCPSS is in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary