Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 07:22 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,059,173 times

Advertisements

enlightenme, I'm so sorry to hear that you and your beloved dog went through this. Here's hoping he makes a quick, full recovery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 07:36 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
A friend of mine in Chapel Hill has a sister who just got diagnosed with Lyme. Apparently there is a stigma about an NC doc diagnosing it though and she couldn't get diagnosed by her docs here. She ended up going out of state to go to the doc so she could get diagnosed and treated properly. I'd like to give the NC docs the benefit of the doubt and think that they are just not as familiar with Lyme and that's why they couldn't properly diagnose it, but my friend is convinced that there is some sort of organized conspiracy among docs here that they won't diagnose it because they want to maintain that we don't have Lyme in NC or something.
I don't know about a cover-up, but Lyme disease is not an easy to diagnose. The NIH's National Institute of of Allergy and Infectious Diseases is still working on coming up with a sure-fire reliable test procedure. At the moment, it seems they do a ELISA (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay) test and if the results are positive, they do a Western Blot to confirm.

Lyme Disease, NIAID, NIH

Last edited by mm34b; 06-24-2008 at 08:01 PM..

Old 06-24-2008, 07:58 PM

41 posts, read 194,698 times
Dr. Pearce at Leesville Animal Hospital does a really good job. They've got a huge boarding facility as well, if that is something you would need down the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyns.Nest View Post
I took my pup to the vet yesterday and mentioned our move to NC in the near future. He very strongly suggested getting her on a monthly regimine of a de-worming pill. Specifically designed for heartworm but also acts against the more general worms dogs get. The second thing he mentioned is to vaccinate yearly for lyme disease. My vet can take care of both here before we move (from socal) or we can do it within a month af moving to Raleigh. I'm so glad he mentioned this as I would not have thought to ask...so my questions to you...

1. Is there anything else I should be aware of that is regional and possibly harmful to my dog?

...or kids for that matter

2. Can you please recommend a good, knowledgeable vet in the Leesville rd., N. Raleigh area.

Many thanks!

Old 06-25-2008, 05:50 AM

850 posts, read 3,625,969 times
Monthly heartworm here was the first thing our new vet recommended! I'm so sorry to hear of your dog's illness and hope he's better in no time.

Ticks this year are much worse than the previous 3 summers we've been here. My neighbor behind us had her 4 year old test positive for Lyme Disease a few weeks ago.

Its the first year we're "going toxic" and treating our property as we've pulled more ticks off of us this year than the past 3 put together. Maybe the drought is the root of the increase this year?

Lauren

Old 06-25-2008, 07:27 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
I don't know about a cover-up, but Lyme disease is not an easy to diagnose. The NIH's National Institute of of Allergy and Infectious Diseases is still working on coming up with a sure-fire reliable test procedure. At the moment, it seems they do a ELISA (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay) test and if the results are positive, they do a Western Blot to confirm.

Lyme Disease, NIAID, NIH
ELISAs and Westerns are not considered difficult assays as far as I'm concerned. An over-the-counter pee-on-a-stick pregnancy test is basically an ELISA - very straight-forward. A Western isn't that big of a deal either - we do them all the time here, though they take longer than an ELISA.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:11 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,504,967 times
Quote:
NC is low to no risk for Lyme disease.

American Lyme Disease Foundation
Maybe low, but not "no." My 6 year old child was diagnosed with Lyme Disease 2 days ago in Chapel Hill.

Contrary to the experience of someone else who posted in this thread, the dr. saw the rash and knew exactly which steps to take.

It was caught early and is being treated aggressively with antibiotics.

Please don't tell people there is "no" risk though. They may miss a case of Lyme Disease in themselves or their children. It is here.

Old 06-25-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
Maybe low, but not "no." My 6 year old child was diagnosed with Lyme Disease 2 days ago in Chapel Hill.

Contrary to the experience of someone else who posted in this thread, the dr. saw the rash and knew exactly which steps to take.

It was caught early and is being treated aggressively with antibiotics.

Please don't tell people there is "no" risk though. They may miss a case of Lyme Disease in themselves or their children. It is here.
We're both correct. Risk is based on frequency. Some counties have low risk, i.e. number of confirmed cases, while some counties have never had a confirmed case.

They confirmed a statewide total of 31 cases in 2006. The 2007 numbers are still being verified by the CDC.

Last edited by mm34b; 06-26-2008 at 02:47 PM..

Old 06-25-2008, 02:49 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,775,391 times
Then there must be tons of unreported cases. Since they usually put you on antibiotics before actually getting test results back, they might not count those as "full blown lyme disease" cases. I'm sure any nurse at the UNC hospitals could rattle off a list of at least 30 cases they saw last summer.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Then there must be tons of unreported cases. Since they usually put you on antibiotics before actually getting test results back, they might not count those as "full blown lyme disease" cases. I'm sure any nurse at the UNC hospitals could rattle off a list of at least 30 cases they saw last summer.
I have no idea why UNC hospitals health care providers would choose not to report their suspicions to the state, but it is a requirement here and many other states.

NC Reporting Form - http://www.epi.state.nc.us/epi/gcdc/manual/reportforms/lyme.pdf (broken link)

Old 06-25-2008, 07:13 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,504,967 times
Quote:
We're both correct. Risk is based on frequency. Some counties have low risk, i.e. number of confirmed cases, while some counties have never had a confirmed case.

As far as the state as a whole goes, the risk is less than 1/2 of 1% per 100,000 population, according to the CDC. They confirmed a statewide total of 31 cases in 2006. The 2007 numbers are still being verified by the CDC.
I would say we're not both right. You said there was little to NO risk. There is little risk perhaps, but NO risk is incorrect.

Many people don't know they have Lyme Disease for months, or sometimes years so although reported rates are certainly lower than the NE, it does not mean that the reported rates are the actual numbers. In fact, every Lyme Disease website I've been on starts out by saying that the numbers of Lyme Disease cases probably far exceed reported cases.

I understand NC does not have the same risk as CT. That said, it is not "no" risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary