U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2021, 07:57 AM

8,952 posts, read 13,735,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
US-1 southbound off-ramp to US Hwy 64 Westbound, in Cary
  • It's a two-lane right-on-red that breaks your neck to look left
  • The two lanes spread to three, with the right land suddenly becoming a turn lane
  • Accident reports typically show drivers from outside the county
  • Rear-enders on the exit ramp
  • Lane-changers on 64
  • Folks on test drives with new car from nearby auto dealers
Source: https://townofcary.policetocitizen.com/DailyBulletin

Perhaps other locals will have their observations!
There are dotted lines on the road for a reason. They didn’t have paint left over they were trying to waste somewhere.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2021, 08:46 AM

8,884 posts, read 7,071,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
There are dotted lines on the road for a reason. They didn’t have paint left over they were trying to waste somewhere.
People have the hardest time with multi-lane turns here. I've never seen anything like it. 50% or more of the time someone drifts into my lane, completely oblivious.

Old 02-09-2021, 09:44 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,664,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
People have the hardest time with multi-lane turns here. I've never seen anything like it. 50% or more of the time someone drifts into my lane, completely oblivious.
People are so absorbed/distracted in their world and/or don't have enough common sense to NOTICE that there is another car right beside you who is also making a turn and you will need to make sure both of you have room to turn. Unbelievable.

Old 02-09-2021, 09:54 AM

41,286 posts, read 71,624,834 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
People are so absorbed/distracted in their world and/or don't have enough common sense to NOTICE that there is another car right beside you who is also making a turn and you will need to make sure both of you have room to turn. Unbelievable.
Too many intersections are so poorly marked to guide people through turns.

I LIKE the markings at Cary Parkway/High House Road. Of course they are newer.
It gets a bit more difficult when the left turn is in an intersection where the roadway slopes away and the markings are worn off.

There are some fairly low volume intersections where cars hit hard. Sometimes it is just optical confusion.
James Jackson Ave. at NW Maynard Road seems to have more than its share of collisions.

Old 02-09-2021, 10:02 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,970,768 times
I've actually seen 2 accidents occur from people trying to turn into R.E.I from Buck Jones road headed towards Walnut street. You have to cross two lanes of traffic to do so and visibility is really bad.

Old 02-09-2021, 10:46 AM

29,527 posts, read 21,981,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
US-1 southbound off-ramp to US Hwy 64 Westbound, in Cary
  • It's a two-lane right-on-red that breaks your neck to look left
  • The two lanes spread to three, with the right land suddenly becoming a turn lane
  • Accident reports typically show drivers from outside the county
  • Rear-enders on the exit ramp
  • Lane-changers on 64
  • Folks on test drives with new car from nearby auto dealers
Source: https://townofcary.policetocitizen.com/DailyBulletin

Perhaps other locals will have their observations!
Thanks to Covid, I'm out there delivering now. I have been there multiple times. "Breaking my neck to look left" was not the problem. If I don't feel it's safe to go, I don't go. I don't care if someone is laying on their horn behind me (it's happened), their impatience means nothing to me.

As I've only been here a year, yes, the first couple of times I was on it, I found myself in the all of a sudden turn lane, but I've been able to get over, regardless. Because I don't travel this route every day, I can still be taken for a surprise because you don't expect the lane to turn into a damn turn lane that fast.

I can and cannot believe that this area has a lot of accidents. If you drive like a sane person, you should still be able to get out of it without an issue. If you drive like a moron, then, sure, you will probably cause an accident.

I typically drive the speed limit in town, and 5-10 over the limit on freeways/highways, but I see a mixture of "I'm in a big, fat, hurry and will ride your bumper the entire way" types and "I live in the suburbs, and when I venture out, I drive 15 under the speed limit" types competing on the road.

Nothing p*$$es me off more than those who ride everyone's back end. I don't like slow drivers, either, but they are just slow, they aren't swinging in and out of lanes, running red lights, riding people's bumper at 35 or 80mph, they don't care, they need to let you know that they are very important and you need to move!

If these people would calm the >> down, we'd have a lot less accidents. And if the slow people would at least drive the fricken speed limit, we'd have a lot less accidents - because this helps in creating those who drive like lunatics trying to get somewhere. Walnut St. in Cary is 45mph on most of it. Same with Jones Franklin Rd. It's fricken 45. Same with the roads going towards Apex. 45! But people drive either 55 or 30. It's maddening. There's a fricken speed limit sign like every 10 feet, HOW do people miss these?

I invested in a dash cam that shows both front and back, as well as in cabin, because of how some people drive here. If some jackhole plows into the back of my car because they thought riding my fender was going to make me risk a speeding ticket, I will present the evidence, and I will sue the ever loving ..... out of them.

There's still some courtesy on the roads around here - more than in other states - so I still get surprised by it, but the level of incivility on the roads makes me realize that some people have no clue that if they would relax, everything would go a lot smoother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Too many intersections are so poorly marked to guide people through turns....
As a new comer, THIS! ^^^^!!!

I'm much more used to these things now because I've driven about 23,000 miles (no, I'm not exaggerating), around here since I moved here last March. But, as I said, I do still get taken for surprise on some of these roads. And just when I get used to it, they decide to change things up by ripping it all up and creating a whole new way of doing things while they do construction on it.

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 02-09-2021 at 11:01 AM..

Old 02-09-2021, 11:12 AM

25 posts, read 18,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Aren't they re-working this intersection?
There have been several proposals to upgrade US64 between US1 and Davis. This one is part of the superstreet proposal, and it splits out the problematic turn lane earlier in the exit ramp so it doesn't go through the lights at the intersection. I've no idea if DOT is still considering this, but it's on their website.

https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/us-64...k-us-1-map.pdf

Old 02-09-2021, 11:46 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,297,766 times
Quote:

I feel the often-used, poorly-designed WAZE app gives prompts for some very short-notice lane drifts/changes,when compared to a Garmin GPS used by Honda's infotainment, for example.

More comments on WAZE at end of this article:

https://www.engadget.com/waze-on-updates-234347176.html

And, again:

Case # 21001017

Occurred 02/08/2021 13:27

9 US 1 EXIT RAMP SB

CARY
Quote:
Vehicle 2 was stopped for traffic. Vehicle 1 failed to reduce speed. The front right of vehicle 1 collided with the rear left of vehicle 2.

and, minutes later:

Case # 21001018 Occurred 02/08/2021 14:10

US64 US1
Quote:

Unit 1 struck Unit 2 as it was pulling on scene to tow another vehicle. Unit 2 was out of the lane of travel when Unit 1 tried to pass it. I witnessed the wreck.

Source: https://townofcary.policetocitizen.c...atalog#results

Old 02-09-2021, 03:30 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,297,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post

So much paint in Cary wasted on sharrows...

Has a poorly-painted sharrow ever caused an accident?

Old 02-10-2021, 07:37 AM

3,340 posts, read 2,387,359 times
I can't get over how, when there are two right turn lanes, how many drivers turn from the right side right turn lane into the left lane. I have almost been side swiped many times by those types of drivers.

I'm at the other end of the world (not really), near Rolesville. Coming home we often are coming out of Rolesville and need to go north on 401 to 96. The last place to do that is less than a mile from the 96/401 intersection, but you have to go south and then do a U-turn at a light to go north. There are two right turn lanes -no left turn allowed, though I've seen some people cross over into the oncoming turn lane for some reason- and then most people making the right turn want to get into the left lane to go to the light and make a U-turn. Logic tells you to get into the left side right turn lane and turn into the left lane. But no, almost half get into the right side left turn lane and then try to turn into the left lane. The U-turn is almost as difficult for them. There are two lanes for the U-turn. There are signs that say "stay in your lane". I get into the right lane and U-turn into the right lane. The cars next to me invariably turn into my lane from the left side turn lane. I have almost been sideswiped more times than I can count, fortunately I am expecting it and paying close attention to the other drivers. My husband and I actually make bets on which lane the vehicles are going to turn into.

Hopefully that wasn't too confusing. LOL

I keep getting logged out, so I can't post a photo.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/40...!4d-78.4632501
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary