Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2008, 06:09 PM

7 posts, read 32,813 times

Advertisements

I just want to know will the triangle area will add a skyscraper in the near future? It would be good in my opinion? What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 06:15 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseya08 View Post
I just want to know will the triangle area will add a skyscraper in the near future? It would be good in my opinion? What do you think?
You mean like these?

RBC Plaza Spire and Update - RaleighSkyline.com - Photography and Multimedia of Raleigh, North Carolina

The Soleil Center - RaleighSkyline.com - Raleigh, North Carolina (http://www.raleighskyline.com/soleilcenter/ - broken link)

Old 05-08-2008, 06:34 PM

82 posts, read 272,093 times
I don't think thats what the OP meant. I personally would hardly qualify a 32 floor building as a skyscraper. I think the OP was referring to a building over 50 floors!!

Old 05-08-2008, 06:41 PM

7 posts, read 32,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabagole View Post
I don't think thats what the OP meant. I personally would hardly qualify a 32 floor building as a skyscraper. I think the OP was referring to a building over 50 floors!!

Thats what i think too.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:34 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabagole View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseya08 View Post
Thats what i think too.
Y'all need to come to meetup and pass the hat to raise the CD tower!

"If you build it..."

Old 05-08-2008, 07:54 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
I've spent my fair share of time in NYC. While I enjoy the view from the Empire State Building as much as the next guy I have never really understood the fascination or the logic behind the notion that they are "good" for an area. I guess you could argue it is a sign of prosperity, but in the end it is essentially just a very tall office building with countless people working in cubicles.

The most interesting and exciting things happen at street level both here in Raleigh and Manhattan. Most of the fancy skyscrapers are empty all weekend in the major cities save a few condo buildings with fancy penthouse suites.

Sure they look cool, but it doesn't really mean too much in my opinion.

With the high cost of steel and cement these days, I imagine it would take a really good reason to build vertical to that extent here anytime soon.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:36 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,159,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
You mean like these?

RBC Plaza Spire and Update - RaleighSkyline.com - Photography and Multimedia of Raleigh, North Carolina

The Soleil Center - RaleighSkyline.com - Raleigh, North Carolina (http://www.raleighskyline.com/soleilcenter/ - broken link)
ha! that's old news by now. the building's almost done! (im just kidding and only saying that because i obsessively check their crane-cam)

but seriously, check out Raleigh Metropolitan Area for new plans. North Raleigh Guy is right, of course, that the RBC Plaza and Soleil Center are both going up, and will be huge by Raleigh standards, but in the next 5 (not to mention the next 20) years, Raleigh will be growing like few small/medium-sized cities in the country...

Old 05-09-2008, 05:28 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,343,126 times
Will Raleigh build a skyscraper? That would on top of the many they already have. I looked up the 'true' definition of skyscraper as I thought it was a great question. But to my low level thinking the definition states simply, " a very tall building " now that surely helped me narrow down my answer. Now we are back in the realm of the subjective, that's just perfect! Just when I thought I soared to new heights on an answer to this question I found out that I was really at ground level.

But here goes anyway. In the definitive sense Raleigh already has many 'skyscrapers' and some new ones nearly down and some awaiting the first shovel to flip the dirt of a foundation over. Even with this growth toward the sky it surely will not be a U.A.E. Dubai any time soon. I recently read that 1/2 of all the large cranes in the world were in Dubai building skyscrapers. The other reason I feel Raleigh will not enter that skyward race anytime soon is purely economics which to can be subjective, just look at the economic reports we see each day......

Because we are witnessing 'Spra-Raleigh' there is no need to build upward, outward in a 360 degree direction is better for the local/state economy. It takes a few hundred workers to build vertical but takes thousands to build horizontal. Land is also available to sprawl than to climb. NYC was referenced in the thread and that is a perfect example of why climb exceeds sprawl. They sprawled there and then fell into the Harbor, the sea, or a river and decided vertically sprawl is a dryer thing to do! So there were land limitations that help growth NYC vertically! I don't think we will see that coming to a downtown Raleigh anytime soon! But this is only my measured opinion.

Old 05-09-2008, 05:51 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,644,670 times
Honestly, I don't think Raleigh needs a building ~50 stories just yet. The downtown skyline still needs more buildings about the size of the RBC Plaza before it can stick anything taller in there, IMHO. This is purely an opinion of aesthetics, though. I'm sure cities have thrown "skycrapers" up with few existing tall buildings, but I just don't think it will look like the city is growing properly, possibly lending a "trying too hard" appearance.

I think taller buildings will come to downtown Raleigh in time, but in the next five years the skyline needs to do some more "growing up" first. Raleigh's renaissance has really only just begun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary