Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 11:58 AM

15 posts, read 51,196 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the very clear explanation! The car tax was a surprise to me when we moved here two years ago but It doesnt bother me at all considering how much I am saving in AutoInsurance vs. New York crazy autoinsurance prices.

What is really amusing is the tax bill that I receive for my cat every year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 04:22 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
How much are renewal fees?

Old 05-20-2008, 04:59 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
How much are renewal fees?
I paid $28, but that's not necessarily what you'll pay. Depends on the vehicle and where you live.

NCDOT Division of Motor Vehicles: Plate Fees

Last edited by mm34b; 07-23-2008 at 03:16 PM..

Old 07-23-2008, 03:01 PM

119 posts, read 272,850 times
Good info to know. I live in Delaware and we don't have sales tax or car tax, but this is a cheap state all around.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:07 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,721,431 times
There's no car tax in MD, but I'm not looking forward to paying $180 to renew my registration next month and $128 for my wife's in the fall.

Old 07-24-2008, 05:00 AM

33 posts, read 173,239 times
Actually I have lived in DE almost 40 yrs and you do pay a luxery tax when you buy a car in Delaware ...one of those hidden taxes. But no we have no sales tax.... they get you with the school tax instead. Can't wait to move...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieNK View Post
Good info to know. I live in Delaware and we don't have sales tax or car tax, but this is a cheap state all around.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:32 PM

119 posts, read 354,786 times
Couple questions here. I am a recent college grad from Ohio and I came down to Holly Springs to stay with my family and see if I like the area. I have been here since May. I bought a new car in May and I got the tax bill in the mail a week ago. Unfortunately, I can't find the bill and I can't remember who I am supposed to pay it to. It was for like $200+. Can I just go to the local DMV and get another copy sent to me? Is that who I am paying the bill to? The car is registered in my parents address but I still have my Ohio drivers license because I'm not sure yet if I'm going to stay or go back. Will they hassle me about this at the DMV? Last question: If I decide to sell my car before the bill is due (mid September I think) and move back to Ohio am I still responsible for paying the tax? North Carolina is a nice place but after living in Ohio all my life and leaving all my friends behind and everything I know I feel out of place here.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:34 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
tax bills are paid to the tax auditor of the county your car is registered to.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:36 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
You might be able to view your property tax bill here:

https://services.wakegov.com/ptax/main/billing/

Old 08-27-2008, 07:53 PM

528 posts, read 1,462,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
The "Car Tax" question seems to come up quite frequently when people begin to look hard at the economics of moving to NC. I thought it might be helpful to post the FACTS about what the tax is and is not.

In NC, your car is subject to a "Personal Property Tax" because it is a titled instrument with a registration number. A Boat would fall into the same category if you have one of those, too.

The tax is paid annually, and is based on the value of your car that year multiplied by your local property tax rate.

Let's do some math. I live in Wake County, and I drive a vehicle valued at $25,000. $25,000 x my local tax rate (the AVERAGE in Wake being around $1.00 per 100 of valuation)= $250 Personal Property Tax due on my car that year.

I can use the tax figure as a deduction if I itemize.

Has anyone filed for bankruptcy yet? I think not.

If you buy a vehicle within the state of NC, you are not charged sales tax on the purchase, but rather a "Road Use Tax" that is currently 3% of the purchase price.

Let's say my friend and I buy the same car new for $25,000. He lives on Long Island.
His sales tax on the purchase- $25,000 x .0875 = $2,187.50. None of that is deductible.
My sales tax on the purchase- 25,000 x .03 = $750.00. I am $1,437.50 ahead. Now I pay my TAX DEDUCTIBLE personal property tax every year. The first year costs $250. Let's figure that the car depreciates 15% per year.
Year 2 tax-$212.50
Year 3 tax- $175
Year 4 tax- $137.50
Year 5 Tax-$100

Five years have passed, and I am still ahead $562.50 not counting the tax deduction or the opportunity cost of the money I didn't pay in sales tax when I bought the car.

Nobody likes to pay taxes, including me, but I find the reaction to the "Car Tax" to be pretty silly, especially when we are comparing our taxes to New York, New Jersey, Florida, or anywhere else where Real Estate and Sales Taxes are simply INSANE.
Great info and thanks Funky. Every state/commonwealth gets their money one way or another...sounds as if w/NC it may be a bit less and that's nice to know.

BTW, if you're from a state that still has the antiquated no fault laws on the books, you'll also save money moving to NC for not having to deal with that anymore. When we moved from VA to MI we paid close just under $100 extra per month on our car insurance based solely on the no fault law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary