U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 05:50 PM

35 posts, read 177,807 times
Default Turtle in my backyard - help needed

Hi everyone,

Can anybody help me to identify this turtle?

I found turtle in my backyard, was hiding behind my grill - no idea how long it was there. As I'm not turtle expert, can you help me, please? Picture attached.

- Any idea what kind of turtle is it? I'm not aware about my neighbors having turtle as a pet.

- Is this kind of turtle common in the North Carolina backyard? (perhaps silly question). If it helps, there is a lake about 0.5 miles away

- What do I do with this turtle? I'd like to prevent him/her from the sun damage, or any cat/dog....

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Turtle in my backyard - help needed-img_6721.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 05:57 PM

4,349 posts, read 4,213,412 times
It is an American snapping turtle, as a kid I was always told if they bite you they will not let go till it thunders. I would pick it up by the sides of its shell and put it in a box, than find some area away from the highway and close to lots of water to turn it lose. Make sure your hands are far enough back to keep it from biting you.
Last of all don’t tell my wife you have it. She will name it put in a pond and we will be over our limit of pets in Cary.

Old 05-09-2008, 05:58 PM

4,609 posts, read 4,986,754 times
It looks like a young snapping turtle.
With the recent rains the turtles will have a tendency to wander more. And also you will see many trying to cross the road but get stuck in the middle.
I have rescued 7 this year so far.

We have loads of turtles especially with our pond. And yes, NC is known for turtles. They are not uncommon.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:13 PM

7 posts, read 19,458 times
My recommendation would be to fire up the grill and barbecue it for supper.

Joj!

Old 05-09-2008, 06:56 PM

7 posts, read 19,458 times
In all seriousness. The one thing that you do not want to do, under any circumstances, is you do not want to move him from his current surroundings. He will return to where he came from, but if you move him, he will be separated from his family and inevitably die. Do not, for example, remove him and take him to a nearby lake - he will lose his surroundings and will not be able to survive.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:44 PM

7,172 posts, read 13,494,770 times
I agree, it's a snapper and I'd just let him be.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:47 PM

5,658 posts, read 17,311,347 times
Snapping Turtle - North Carolina (http://www.herpsofnc.org/herps_of_NC/turtles/cheser.html - broken link)

Old 05-09-2008, 08:23 PM

2,688 posts, read 4,426,085 times
As the other posters have stated it sure looks like a snapper and I ain't talking lawn mowers either. I would let it be too. they can be down right mean if you mess with it.

He looks like he's from the other side gang, they are always looking for the 'greener' side! Looks like this one found it in your yard complete with grill! Good luck and I'm sure it will move on for greener fields or greener pond water!

P.S. I would name it so that when and if it returns you can be on first name basis with the wondering turtle!

Old 05-09-2008, 08:44 PM

35 posts, read 177,807 times
Default Thank you

Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for your advice and help.

Just would like to update you on the lovely turtle. I took him to the nearby pond and hopefully he's happier there than in our yard. Definitely better than ending up in the middle of the street or being stressed by dog/cat

Thank you once again for teaching me about the American snapping turtle and turtles in the NC. I really appreciate this forum.

Last edited by rose12345; 05-09-2008 at 08:55 PM.. Reason: spelling mistakes

Old 05-09-2008, 09:01 PM

5,658 posts, read 17,311,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rose12345 View Post
Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for your advice and help.

Just would like to update you on the lovely turtle. I took him to the nearby pond and hopefully his happier there than in our yard. Definitely better than ending up in the middle of the street or being stressed by dog/cat

Thank you once again for teaching me about the American snapping turtle and turtles in the NC. I really appreciate this form.

Cheers,
If yours is as feisty as the ones I've come across, a dog or cat would have gotten the short end of the stick. Snapping turtles have tremendous jaw pressure. From what I've heard, about 1,000 PSI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary