Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2021, 10:58 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Anecdotally I've heard that JoCo school system is a little easier to navigate simply because its smaller and some folks like that.

I also think that long term outcomes are a lot less influenced by the relative quality of the school (within certain parameters) than some parents think. Often times so-called excellent schools are excellent because of the demographics they serve as opposed to the relative skill of the people working there.

Anecdotally, if the school isn't saturated with underperforming students to the point that it saps the school's resources, it will likely be fine.

I'd not hesitate to send a student to Broughton over a HS that's more highly rated. That broughton has more kids from less auspicious backgrounds doesn't mean that bright kids can't access the IB programs they have. The Ratings don't mean that Broughton is worse than Apex HS.
Generally agree with all of this JONOV which is why I put in the stuff I called out inside the parens.

A "bad school" can be more than adequate if the unit (Admin, teacher, student, parent) is engaged just as a "good school" can suck if part of/all of the unit isn't engaged.

I went to a very sought after/highly regarded Private International school. It was at one point the number 2 international school on the planet (can't vouch for what it is now). There are alums to the school I went to who currently run huge steel companies, a couple of politicians (US and Australian), a few who got into sports professionally, a couple who made it in pop culture (Keeping up with the Kardashians)...on the other end of spectrum there are a couple of people who ended up on the FBI's most wanted list and a good friend who thought school was a joke and the outcomes of his life fit that. Me? I took school only serious enough that it didn't cramp my social life. If I could put in the work for a B and still do my thing on the weekend, sweet. I took all IB and AP classes, but didn't sit for the exams because I didn't care THAT much.

Long story short, great or bad school is an attempt to apply quantitative attributes to something that is very much a qualitative endeavor for all involved. Its like the hyper focus on SATs. If higher SAT score means the person is smarter/better test taker/better student....well my best score (and the one I sent with my college applications) I achieved hammered drunk...so......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2021, 11:12 AM

56 posts, read 108,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
wake County is still adjusting. We've been here 11 years. There will be reassignments again in the next few years. Honestly it takes a while to figure out the inner workings of the district. My sister is a teacher here and I spent a year as a TA so I have seen the inner workings. Some of it is baffling.

Williams is leaving Alston Ridge (and the education field). Did you know that when you interviewed?

No- didn't know this. Where's he heading??

Old 06-07-2021, 08:15 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasK919 View Post
No- didn't know this. Where's he heading??
Leaving the education field entirely it says on the ARMS website.

Old 06-14-2021, 09:21 AM

I'd like to thank everyone for all the feedback; I didn't imagine I'd have this many people providing me with their perspectives. Now, if I can only as for another BIG favor...it would be with regard to rentals in the area while I'm down there that first year on my own.

Everything that I look at in the $500-$700 range appears to be a ROOM to rent with shared common space. As a 40 year old Assistant Principal I'm not too sure that I'm looking to have roommates at this stage of my life/career. The last thing I want is to be sharing space with some college kids!

From what I'm seeing, it looks like I can rent monthly at an ExtendedStay type place for about $1200/mo. It's a little more than I wanted to shell out, but it might be my only option given the circumstances. The silver lining is that I wouldn't have to worry about Internet, TV, and utility costs because that's part of the price.

Does anyone have any recommendations for places I can check out for monthly rentals that won't break the bank? Bonus points for places that have a pool.

Thanks again all....I feel like 8/1 is going to be here before I know it!

Doug

Old 06-14-2021, 09:26 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
I'd like to thank everyone for all the feedback; I didn't imagine I'd have this many people providing me with their perspectives. Now, if I can only as for another BIG favor...it would be with regard to rentals in the area while I'm down there that first year on my own.

Everything that I look at in the $500-$700 range appears to be a ROOM to rent with shared common space. As a 40 year old Assistant Principal I'm not too sure that I'm looking to have roommates at this stage of my life/career. The last thing I want is to be sharing space with some college kids!

From what I'm seeing, it looks like I can rent monthly at an ExtendedStay type place for about $1200/mo. It's a little more than I wanted to shell out, but it might be my only option given the circumstances. The silver lining is that I wouldn't have to worry about Internet, TV, and utility costs because that's part of the price.

Does anyone have any recommendations for places I can check out for monthly rentals that won't break the bank? Bonus points for places that have a pool.

Thanks again all....I feel like 8/1 is going to be here before I know it!

Doug
Yep. <$700 is going to be a room, or at minimum, a room-mate situation.
Maybe you can get a private rental in a garage loft, etc, but that can be hard to find and probably not cheap either.

And, having said that, I pulled up rentals on Craigslist, <$800, within 15 miles of Zip Code 27601, and there are some that you might consider. Caveat Emptor on Craigslist, of course.

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/searc...date=all+dates

Old 06-14-2021, 04:05 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
I would be VERY hesitant to choose 95% of extended stay places. Especially any that only charge $1200. Most places I've ever seen for a professional have been $2K+. Of course, w/Covid for 12 months, even the good ES's may need guests.

Old 06-14-2021, 05:14 PM

@BoBromhal why would you be reluctant? Are these places run down or loaded with hookers and drug addicts? Seemed like the typical 1 bed apartment for rent was in the same range give or take. I've seen some of the swanky corporate housing options...a lot of those places were nice, but in the $2k+ range a month which is way out of my price range.

Don't forget I'm still managing my mortgage in NJ...I need CHEAP (but safe). I can tough it out for 10 months :-)

Old 06-14-2021, 06:42 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
I bet you can rent a studio apartment for $1000. You can find some of those in Chapel Hill and Durham. I'm sure Raleigh is similar. Just gotta hunt. Not gonna find one for $800 though.

Old 06-15-2021, 05:23 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
@BoBromhal why would you be reluctant? Are these places run down or loaded with hookers and drug addicts? Seemed like the typical 1 bed apartment for rent was in the same range give or take. I've seen some of the swanky corporate housing options...a lot of those places were nice, but in the $2k+ range a month which is way out of my price range.

Don't forget I'm still managing my mortgage in NJ...I need CHEAP (but safe). I can tough it out for 10 months :-)
I agree with Bo.
If you decide to go with a <$700 extended stay, check out the history, police calls, and locale carefully.

Old 06-15-2021, 05:32 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Extended Stays are notorious for housing less than desirables. There is one in Cary that is in a good area and gets decent reviews. It’s right off I40 but woukd still be a decent commute. Rents have kept pace with housing prices here but if you don’t need new or a ton of amenities you shoukd be able to get your own apartment. Not for under $1000 I don’t think. Maybe look farther out past Garner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary