Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 06:15 PM

650 posts, read 929,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Incorrect, a working drivers window is a required inspection item. All others can be broken.

The NC inspection page is ridiculous, everything on there except what is inspected, so I cannot cite the section, but trust me it's on there.

For the oxygen sensor guy, there is a waiver if you spend over $200 to fix the problem. Keep in mind there are other issues that go beyond simple the O2 sensor failing. Could be you're running rich and that is fouling the sensor (possible vacuum hose leak etc). Did you bench test the sensor to confirm if it's good or bad? Also as others have stated cars often have multiple O2 sensors. Fixing the issue should improve MPG.

I agree with the waiver. I did it for a GM car. You are supposed to have the car flunk, go spend (I thought it was $400.00 and return to have it fail again. Then you go to the DMV and get the waiver. The waiver lasts till the next renewal date.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 07:05 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,580,110 times
Quote:
Incorrect, a working drivers window is a required inspection item. All others can be broken.

The NC inspection page is ridiculous, everything on there except what is inspected, so I cannot cite the section, but trust me it's on there.

For the oxygen sensor guy, there is a waiver if you spend over $200 to fix the problem. Keep in mind there are other issues that go beyond simple the O2 sensor failing. Could be you're running rich and that is fouling the sensor (possible vacuum hose leak etc). Did you bench test the sensor to confirm if it's good or bad? Also as others have stated cars often have multiple O2 sensors. Fixing the issue should improve MPG.
Well, you are right although it doesn't state which window has to work. It just states if a sample is broken or missing the inspection cannot be performed. However, I have not met one inspector that is either aware of it or enforces it.

Check out the last paragraph on pg.22

https://connect.ncdot.gov/business/D...s%20Manual.pdf

(And no, I didn't trust you. LOL. I have to find out for myself.)

Old 05-08-2013, 08:56 PM

224 posts, read 432,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I'm totally against cars being passed that have illegal tint. I've seen more than a few FL cars around here sporting limo tint.

I think NC's tint laws are a bit tight, but they made the laws. Might as well enforce'm.
Well, if it was illegal, you will be happy to know the car was totaled. We were happy because it held its value so well that we got back what we paid for it (used)

Old 05-09-2013, 06:07 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,166,163 times
Local window tinting companies will gladly install darker then the legal limit tint, but they make you waive the warranty or guarantee. There are even some who specialize in darker tint. And I've even heard of some people who remove it every year for inspection. But there are places that will inspect your car, and not even bother to check the tint. Roll down the windows before you get there! Every day, I see a LOT of cars with darker than legal tint. It's not a law that is enforced very strictly in this state. And it's ONLY the front windows that must be below 35% on trucks and SUVs. Many of those come from the factory with dark tint already installed everywhere except the front doors.

*My car finally passed inspection. Legally. Was getting faulty info about which sensor was going bad! Swapped out the bad sensor, done.

Last edited by TheBigKahunaNC; 05-09-2013 at 06:09 AM.. Reason: WAP

Old 05-09-2013, 08:06 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Well, you are right although it doesn't state which window has to work. It just states if a sample is broken or missing the inspection cannot be performed. However, I have not met one inspector that is either aware of it or enforces it.

Check out the last paragraph on pg.22

https://connect.ncdot.gov/business/D...s%20Manual.pdf

(And no, I didn't trust you. LOL. I have to find out for myself.)
That's only for tint. We're talking the window mechanism here. All window regulators can be broken except the drivers window, it must be able to be opened/closed.

At one point we had a VW, notorious for window regulators going bad, this is all too familiar for me...

Old 05-09-2013, 10:01 AM

289 posts, read 399,740 times
A few years back my thingy also failed. It cost me a lot more in alimony.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:42 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,580,110 times
Quote:
That's only for tint. We're talking the window mechanism here. All window regulators can be broken except the drivers window, it must be able to be opened/closed.

At one point we had a VW, notorious for window regulators going bad, this is all too familiar for me...
I couldn't find anything about the requirement of a functioning window. I had a Wrangler at one point and I didn't even have doors for it. It would pass no problem every year I owned it. Kinda hard to verify a functioning window when the entire door is missing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary