Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 11:43 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,088,319 times

Advertisements

Now that was a shocker. The public schools are not tax-exempt? What about churches, etc.? Around here, even private schools are tax exempt!

Also around here, we have vans with collapsable "school bus" signs and lights that transport special needs kids to school. But every school bus is yellow, no matter where it is going--school, sports, field trips, etc. It was fascinating to read that the state has such a complicated mandate regarding the use of busses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 11:46 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,088,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
Parking the subject of the color of the buses in the parking ramp, level 2 for a moment I just tried to figure out in rough terms how much more money per day WCPSS is paying for fuel and the number is well 'BIG'. No surprise there given the price of fuel going up daily but just for gee whiz numbers.. WCPSS system per their transportation website operates 833 buses everyday. (and you think your 2.5 SUV's guzzle gas like the water pipe that flows from Falls Lake to the Raleigh water system, think again.) As they say, "If da mat iz corect". I see the following amount of increase:

@$3.50/Ga cost / day = $14.5k for bus fleet fuel.
@$4.00/Ga Cost / day = $16.6k
@$4.50/Ga cost / day = $18.7k
@$5.00/Ga Cost / day = $20.8k

now multiple that by 180 school days and @4.00/Ga it will cost $2.9M / year just to bus the kids to and from school. @5.00/Ga that cost jumps to $3.7M / year. This holds true for every private and governmental business and agency! Yowsers!

Assumption that went into the numbers: 833 buses, 80 miles/bus/day and each bus uses about 5 gallons per day @ 16mpg.

My weekly gas bill does not seem to bad now! Except when I think I am paying for the one above too! Oh where or where did the neighborhood school go? Oh where or where have they gone......you got the song now!
Gives a whole new "hue" to WCPSS mantra of "no neighborhood schools" and their quest for diversity, doesn't it? Dollars be darned--F&R lunch will reign!

Old 05-13-2008, 11:59 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,697,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
Parking the subject of the color of the buses in the parking ramp, level 2 for a moment I just tried to figure out in rough terms how much more money per day WCPSS is paying for fuel and the number is well 'BIG'. No surprise there given the price of fuel going up daily but just for gee whiz numbers.. WCPSS system per their transportation website operates 833 buses everyday. (and you think your 2.5 SUV's guzzle gas like the water pipe that flows from Falls Lake to the Raleigh water system, think again.) As they say, "If da mat iz corect". I see the following amount of increase:

@$3.50/Ga cost / day = $14.5k for bus fleet fuel.
@$4.00/Ga Cost / day = $16.6k
@$4.50/Ga cost / day = $18.7k
@$5.00/Ga Cost / day = $20.8k

now multiple that by 180 school days and @4.00/Ga it will cost $2.9M / year just to bus the kids to and from school. @5.00/Ga that cost jumps to $3.7M / year. This holds true for every private and governmental business and agency! Yowsers!

Assumption that went into the numbers: 833 buses, 80 miles/bus/day and each bus uses about 5 gallons per day @ 16mpg.

My weekly gas bill does not seem to bad now! Except when I think I am paying for the one above too! Oh where or where did the neighborhood school go? Oh where or where have they gone......you got the song now!
Your number is too low. The buses run on diesel and get 6.6 miles / gallon. The county gets a deal on diesel because they buy in bulk and don't have to pay sales tax. The fleet runs 17 million miles per year. The total fuel cost was around $5 million, but will obviously be higher this year. Per pupil, that's pretty tiny though (less than $40 / year) and a very small portion of total per pupil spending.

newsobserver.com | Wake schools tap reserve fund for bus fuel

Old 05-13-2008, 12:41 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,343,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sls76 View Post
Your number is too low. The buses run on diesel and get 6.6 miles / gallon. The county gets a deal on diesel because they buy in bulk and don't have to pay sales tax. The fleet runs 17 million miles per year. The total fuel cost was around $5 million, but will obviously be higher this year. Per pupil, that's pretty tiny though (less than $40 / year) and a very small portion of total per pupil spending.

newsobserver.com | Wake schools tap reserve fund for bus fuel
sls76 thanks for the article. I missed that one. Dang I thought I was being conservative in my estimate. Holy filler up! 17 million miles a year. That is going from the earth to the moon a little over 71 times! I thought I drove far to and from work!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary