Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 05:25 AM

3,296 posts, read 8,533,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabagole View Post
I gotta intervene here about the sports team stuff. If you think someone putting Mets/Yankees stuff all over there cars is trying to demonstrate that they are from NY you are sadly mistaken. I know the locals here may not understand it because this is by far not a baseball town. NY is a huge baseball town and some of us take our baseball very seriously and my no means are we trying to offend the locals or brag that we are from NY. We may have left our home state but no way we are leaving our home teams!!!
I agree, because I am a huge Mets fan (I know they suck right now), but I grew up in Virginia. I'm definetely not trying to advertise I'm from NY and better than everyone else. I'm just a HUGE Mets fan and will always be no matter where I live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 05:45 AM

78 posts, read 198,749 times
This thread is FUNNY, but I need advice as I would hate to offend anyone(lol). Ok, I was born in New Mexico and I have lived in Hawaii, California, Florida, Arkansas, Indiana, Illinois, Ohio, Texas, Virginia, and Colorado. In case you are wondering I am a military brat and I also served. I also spent time in the M.E., Germany, Italy, Scotland, and Sweden. What am I suppose to do? I mean I love to watch the 'Heels' play, but what about my beloved White Sox. Oh and I can't forget about The Blackhawks, or the Raiders and Fighting Irish. Then again how can one avoid taking sides during college football season. There are some great games with some fantastic rivalries. I ask these questions because I would be classified as a dam yank(currently live in Chicago), but I have redneck roots combined with a European and Middle Eastern influence.

On the other hand, I can identify with this somewhat. Living in the area that I do, I have daily contact with immigrants of all flavors. I have no issues with legal and proper immigration, that is what built this country and made it the greatest place on Earth. However, when someone says "in my country" it drives me up a wall. You are living in America, this is your country and if the former country you lived in is so great, then by all means go back. That being said, I also have a problem when people say they are going back home and they are referring to another state. Home is where you are currently living. Right now Chicago is my home, the second I cross the NC line and move into my house, NC becomes my home. I have no problems with someone taking pride in their heritage, or a certain region or state, but use some common sense. How can another state be your "home" if you are living somewhere else(college students excluded)?

Old 05-16-2008, 07:52 AM

577 posts, read 1,898,019 times
Wow you know im shocked after all the posts on here this is the first time this has been brought up. From a local veiw let me say I never paid much attention to I love New york T shirts and its mostly Pre teen girls anyway. But I will mention the cars with the old Plate on the front, this does make a statement whether you admit it or not that you are wanting people to know you are from that place for some reason. Most people I have met try to hide that they are from the NE and really want to blend in and be accepted here. In the high transplant areas where it is a mixing pot of people it seems to be the transplants themselves that have issue with the new bubble of insurgents. I will say I have seen more ways to write Jersey Girl on plates then I could have ever imagined possiable, It is a normal human response to react to what some consider a threat to their QL, with large incursions of outsiders into there lives, just remeber the main benefit is to the transplant moving from the bad home town into a place that had low traffic, crime lots of old green trees and land,that now is being ground up into a big housing development.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:54 AM

306 posts, read 1,304,414 times
Getting offended by 'I love NY' tees?! If the OP was complaining about 'I Hate NC' t-shirts then I would understand. I have not seen any of those...

Some people like to express where they are from, or where they have been, through their clothing/car stickers etc. I was given a Union Jack plate for the front of my car but it adorns a closet because it just felt too 'obvious' for me. I still enjoy seeing the flags on the front of other cars because it is a reminder that I live in a place with people from all over the world. This is a positive attribute in my opinion.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:29 AM

36 posts, read 131,485 times
I have a hat the says 'Connecticut', sweatshirts from all over the country, a t-shirt from London which would indicate that I probably have been to, and liked, these places. When I worked in CT, someone had a big NC State banner outside his office. Didn't bother me. I wasn't like "Why doesn't have have a Uconn banner instead. Who cares? Live and let live. Get over it.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:57 AM

100 posts, read 529,198 times
Quote:
I gotta intervene here about the sports team stuff. If you think someone putting Mets/Yankees stuff all over there cars is trying to demonstrate that they are from NY you are sadly mistaken. I know the locals here may not understand it because this is by far not a baseball town. NY is a huge baseball town and some of us take our baseball very seriously and my no means are we trying to offend the locals or brag that we are from NY. We may have left our home state but no way we are leaving our home teams!!!
100% right. Love your screen name BTW.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:08 AM

12 posts, read 33,541 times
Quote:
Yes, I agree 100%. This is my second baseball season in NC, last summer I missed hometown baseball big time. This time around, I have come to realize I just miss the "buzz" of New York Baseball there is just nothing like it.
That being said, I heart image Moderator cut: copyright issues North Carolina!

Last edited by autumngal; 05-16-2008 at 04:50 PM.. Reason: links only to images please as per the TOS

Old 05-16-2008, 12:49 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,944,769 times
I'm going to start wearing t-shirts that read "I [heart] constantly relocating"

*heads to Boston forum for this year's relocation advice*

Old 05-16-2008, 01:31 PM

29 posts, read 118,081 times
So, what else are we supposed to do with all those tourists tee shirts we buy? I used to travel a lot for work and bought myself, hubby and the kids tees from wherever I was... NY, Boston, Texas, Florida, Hawaii... We all have "I heard NY" tees that I purchased for the fun of it. And sometimes they get worn. So those people you're griping about might be me and my husband and our three kids. All native Carolinians, just out for the day, in our fun tees....

Old 05-27-2008, 03:33 PM

14 posts, read 37,941 times
It really is pathetic that so many native North Carolinians resent and despise the transplanted northerners, especially New Yorkers. Can you imagine if NYers had the same attitude up there?? That's what America is about - a mixing pot - and you don't see that any more clear than in NY. With that being said, I am a little embarrassed by some of the NYers I have seen down here with their hat on sideways, pants down around their kneecaps, tattoos and leather....blatantly screaming New Yawk! But, the majority of us are here to raise a family, add to the economy and improved school systems, and just live a nice life. Who the heck cares where I'm from? get over yourself and maybe broaden your horizons and meet a NYer. You might be surprised at the level of intelligence, culture and humility you find!

Oh, and GO GIANTS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary