U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 08:27 PM

147 posts, read 471,380 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if any of you would share with me how much it has cost you to get a tooth filled? I had two teeth filled on Monday and the total cost was a little over $400.00. Ouch! It was covered by insurance, which is good, but still -- it just seems like a lot of money to me for two fillings. OTOH, I've been out of the country for a while and I am new here so maybe this is the going rate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2008, 08:40 PM

1,354 posts, read 3,956,992 times
I want to say mine was about 275/filling in LA - it also depends on whether you get alloy or ceramic material

Old 05-14-2008, 08:45 PM

847 posts, read 2,389,703 times
I had three surfaces filled... between two teeth and the top of a tooth... and it was $800, ouch!

Old 05-14-2008, 08:53 PM

7,440 posts, read 14,550,293 times
I think around $200.00 per tooth is fairly average.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:04 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,809,264 times
I worked in dental office management for years and it does depend on how many surfaces. Some fillings are small and some alot larger. Also some dentists are a little more expensive than others, but overall most are close in what they charge.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:55 AM

483 posts, read 832,485 times
I paid $315 for one filling recently. My dentist uses composite, not amalgam, though, which is great except I found out after the fact that my insurance won't cover composite.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:58 AM

Composite... that's the term I was looking for. My filling was composite, too. The only other option was ceramic. They don't do amalgam...maybe that is a trend with the mercury issues?

Old 05-15-2008, 08:59 AM

4,597 posts, read 7,493,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by welovedurham View Post
I had three surfaces filled... between two teeth and the top of a tooth... and it was $800, ouch!
Wow, but that is 'ouch!' Right up there with what crowns cost, and not too far off from the root canal I had to have. I was dismayed that I paid $1050 for a crown, and then when I had to have a root canal, on yet another molar, the endontist's total bill -- for two trips to complete the root canal -- was only $1050. No comparison to me, in the amount of work the two did. She , the endodontist, SO earned that $1050.

Unless you are ingratiated somehow to that dentist, I might shop around just a little. That does seem a bit expensive for what you had done. Just my opinion.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:04 AM

That was the second opinion.

Both dentists quoted me that, but, yes, I am shopping around in the future.

To their defense, it was waaaay in the back and involved 2 molars. My one root canal took less time.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:08 AM

4,597 posts, read 7,493,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by welovedurham View Post
Composite... that's the term I was looking for. My filling was composite, too. The only other option was ceramic. They don't do amalgam...maybe that is a trend with the mercury issues?
Most dentists these days are recommending that we have the old metal fillings in our mouths replaced. Given that fillings don't last forever, and will need to be replaced at some point, unless you are risking the loss of the tooth or something, I might wait on replacing them all at once.

Every time I have to go to the dentist, I get so mad at my parents who thought dentists were for emergencies only. What a difference my daughter's outlook will be.

I haven't had any problems since I started seeing my wonderful dentist on a regular basis, and he got my mouth 'into shape' for me, but even as a more health-conscious dental patient, I am still having to deal with the ramifications of my parents' choice. I have large fillings in my back molars, which may present additional problems as I get older. Large fillings make for weak teeth. I have already had to have three crowned, and one needed a root canal just recently. SO NOT fun!

Still, I love my dentist -- I drive all the way back down to Wilmington just to see him. He advocates not fixing things until they need fixing. A dentist I saw here, who I suspect is more into cosmetics than a family practice, wanted to crown every molar I have. My old dentist also says to hang onto your own teeth, that you will never have anything any better, or even as good as, in your mouth.

Last edited by RDSLOTS; 05-15-2008 at 09:09 AM.. Reason: help! the H on my keyboard is sticking! now what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary