U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2021, 06:39 AM

3,494 posts, read 5,865,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving_Frm_MN View Post
By Southern way I also meant friendly people and hospitality. Is that still existent in Triangle area or all out of state folks changed it already ? We have a lot of MN nice around us and that only goes so far specially in cold winter time.
I feel like I'm living in a generically North East suburban neighborhood here. Almost all my neighbors are from NJ, NY. PA. Got a few from MI and MN and CA. Or India. Lots of Indians. Not a bit of a Southern feel, although the 3 of us are doing our best.

Also, FYI, your desire for a .33 acre lot is going to be difficult here unless you're willing to buy an older home in an established neighborhood.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2021, 06:57 AM

3,732 posts, read 2,676,816 times
Guess it is all about your own attitude. Spent over 60 years in NJ and found plenty of friendly people up there. Same as down here. People are the same all over if you give them a chance. No snow no Winter to speak of down here if that's important have at it.

Old 09-30-2021, 10:04 AM

6,762 posts, read 8,370,184 times
Quote:
By Southern way I also meant friendly people and hospitality. Is that still existent in Triangle area or all out of state folks changed it already ? We have a lot of MN nice around us and that only goes so far specially in cold winter time.
Yes there are plenty of friendly people here. And you as a new person needs to reflect that in how you come across. Not saying "back home we did....". "it's better back home..." Instead try to learn how people live life here. I'm not saying you can't like MN, but if you come to NC I would think it's because you do like the culture here.

As others have said, you can spend your life in the same shopping malls and stores as MN. Or you can get out and find local places instead.

Old 09-30-2021, 10:50 AM

272 posts, read 205,699 times
Quote:
Friendly people and warm hospitality can be found all over the country and the world. I even found friendly and inviting people in Manhattan

I see that skaternum echoed my sentiment. I'm not trying to say that you can't/won't find friendly warm people in the Triangle. Of course, you will. If you move here, all of your neighbors might be friendly and warm people. It's just that they will likely all be from places not considered the "south". Therefore, friendliness and hospitality are not exclusive to the south. In fact, many of the friendliest people I have experienced are from the mid-west. Indiana, specifically.

Of course, much of what I write is only my opinion, and it is based on my experience from having lived here (Raleigh) since 2005, and also from my travels. Have I experienced what I think of as the south in Raleigh? Sure I have, but it isn't my everyday experience. Like Skaternum said, a lot of the area here feels like any "generically North East suburban neighborhood". The roads look a bit different, some of the vegetation is different, there aren't as many hills, etc, but I don't feel that my day-to-day life here is any different from when I was in PA.

Some places where I felt the "south" a whole lot more are:
Beaufort, NC
Leland, NC
Lumberton, NC
Sanford, NC
Pinehurst, NC
Asheboro, NC
All around Pilot Mountain
Orangeburg, SC (hated it for personal reasons, but it was the "south")
Rock Hill, SC
Valdosta, GA
Murfreesboro, TN

Okay, that's enough, but I could easily keep going. Hey, what do I know - I'm from PA. Then again, maybe that, plus experiencing different parts of the south gives me perspective. Who knows, and who cares. It's all just my opinion. I'm not trying to offend any natives, so please don't feel the need to defend the Triangle for not being "southern enough" for me.

To the OP, move on down! It's a great place to live. Everyone else thinks so! You might end up feeling the same way I do, but that's ok. It's not a criticism of the area with regard to the quality of life you can have here. Good luck!

Old 09-30-2021, 11:00 AM

272 posts, read 205,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Yes there are plenty of friendly people here. And you as a new person needs to reflect that in how you come across. Not saying "back home we did....". "it's better back home..." Instead try to learn how people live life here. I'm not saying you can't like MN, but if you come to NC I would think it's because you do like the culture here.

As others have said, you can spend your life in the same shopping malls and stores as MN. Or you can get out and find local places instead.
I agree with zitsky on this.

If a southerner moves to the north and says things like, "back home we did ...." or "It's better back home ...", northerners either don't care, will say, "oh yeah?" with interest, or just agree that the "southern" way sounds nice or better.

If a northerner says the same things to a southerner, the southerner's sentiment toward the northerner is quite different. This is true even if they have a smile on their face.

Old 09-30-2021, 12:17 PM

10 posts, read 7,226 times
Raleigh and Charlotte are both pretty suburban. Neither are "cities" like NY, Boston, DC, Chicago, SF, etc. They lack grandiose old buildings, amazing museums, etc. They offer a laid back, inexpensive lifestyle. Anyone who suggests that Charlotte is more of a city has never been to any of the foregoing. Its downtown isn't as lame as Raleigh's, but it's hardly San Francisco.

Old 09-30-2021, 01:34 PM

3,660 posts, read 1,731,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlito2002wgn View Post
I agree with zitsky on this.

If a southerner moves to the north and says things like, "back home we did ...." or "It's better back home ...", northerners either don't care, will say, "oh yeah?" with interest, or just agree that the "southern" way sounds nice or better.

If a northerner says the same things to a southerner, the southerner's sentiment toward the northerner is quite different. This is true even if they have a smile on their face.
Agreed.

Shelby Foote has a couple of famous quotes (both in books and in shows) on why things are this way....but that is for a different thread.

Old 09-30-2021, 01:57 PM

To those who say that Raleigh area doesn't "look" southern enough.... what does Southern look like?

And Raleigh may not be as big as Chicago or New York, but it is still interesting.

Old 09-30-2021, 02:15 PM

1,280 posts, read 902,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
To those who say that Raleigh area doesn't "look" southern enough.... what does Southern look like?

And Raleigh may not be as big as Chicago or New York, but it is still interesting.
Exactly. I've lived in big cities in the Northeast and West Coast (NYC, Philadelphia, San Francisco, and LA), but am feeling quite comfortable in Raleigh these days. The energy, enthusiasm, and overall happiness of the people who live here is contagious.

Smart People + Good Vibes = Good Things Happening

Old 09-30-2021, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
The energy, enthusiasm, and overall happiness of the people who live here is contagious.
Honey, that's just covid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary