Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2021, 06:59 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,760,081 times

Advertisements

I get called "hon" by women more than men, (in fact don't think a man has ever called me that in a professional setting) and don't have a problem with it ... also "sug" which I find hilarious. This is all via phone for the most part. Y'all is great but don't try to sound southern. You are what you are LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2021, 02:11 AM

813 posts, read 440,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I get called "hon" by women more than men, (in fact don't think a man has ever called me that in a professional setting) and don't have a problem with it ... also "sug" which I find hilarious. This is all via phone for the most part. Y'all is great but don't try to sound southern. You are what you are LOL.
That's what I meant Twingles, and I apologize to those that misunderstood. When I've been down there I was called "honey" two or three times, by women, and it was as if they were saying "friend" during the conversation. That's all I meant. To say it to a woman would be incredibly patronizing and I wouldn't do it.

And yea, I'm northern. I would sound awfully foolish if I tried to appropriate the accent that I would be laughed at!!! I'm an Italian New Yawker... no hiding it!!!

Old 10-22-2021, 06:26 AM

6,819 posts, read 9,049,484 times
It sounds strange to me to hear people say or write y'all when not Southern.

Old 10-22-2021, 07:10 AM

1,326 posts, read 722,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickofJersey View Post
That's what I meant Twingles, and I apologize to those that misunderstood. When I've been down there I was called "honey" two or three times, by women, and it was as if they were saying "friend" during the conversation. That's all I meant. To say it to a woman would be incredibly patronizing and I wouldn't do it.
I could almost hear some nice southern lady saying "honey" as I was reading your first post about it and knew exactly what you meant. It didn't even occur to me you were considering adopting the habit since you don't seem crazy.

Personally, I love getting called "honey" "hon" "sweetie" or "sug" by friendly southern ladies and find it very comforting, but it's getting less common around here. My husband has a co-worker that still calls everyone "sug" though. However, my favorite, while not exactly southern, is the lady at a local grocery store that calls everyone "mi amore." I always feel better after going through her line no matter my mood.

Old 10-22-2021, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
I could almost hear some nice southern lady saying "honey" as I was reading your first post about it and knew exactly what you meant. It didn't even occur to me you were considering adopting the habit since you don't seem crazy.

Personally, I love getting called "honey" "hon" "sweetie" or "sug" by friendly southern ladies and find it very comforting, but it's getting less common around here. My husband has a co-worker that still calls everyone "sug" though. However, my favorite, while not exactly southern, is the lady at a local grocery store that calls everyone "mi amore." I always feel better after going through her line no matter my mood.

Now that's what I'm talking about. And southern hospitality doesn't always have to mean sounding southern or using southern sayings. Maybe it's just a more respectful way towards each other. That's all I'm hoping to see more of when I become a North Carolinian.

6 MORE WEEKS!!!!! YAY!!!!

Old 10-22-2021, 08:02 AM

6,819 posts, read 9,049,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickofJersey View Post
Now that's what I'm talking about. And southern hospitality doesn't always have to mean sounding southern or using southern sayings. Maybe it's just a more respectful way towards each other. That's all I'm hoping to see more of when I become a North Carolinian.

6 MORE WEEKS!!!!! YAY!!!!
When you get here, make a list of all the things they do better in New Jersey. So you can educate people down here.

Old 10-22-2021, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
When you get here, make a list of all the things they do better in New Jersey. So you can educate people down here.
Other than the pizza and deli's it might just be a very short list.

Hmmm...
They tax you much better.
They definitely tear up the roads better in the winter. They're real good at that.
The people are much better at letting you know when you make a wrong turn.
The people are also very complimentary, always willing to show you you're number 1.
They have the most toxic waste dumps of any state in the country.
And most of all they have the proud distinction of being home to the Jersey Shore gang (I could have added that to the toxic waste comment).

I'm sure I can come up with a few more when I think about it.

Last edited by SickofJersey; 10-22-2021 at 09:16 AM..

Old 10-22-2021, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post

Thanks ITB. Although I might be just a tad off kilter, I don't think I'm crazy either. Then again, maybe crazy for waiting this long to move away from Jersey!!!

And mi amore is a favorite of mine. It's what I say to my wife. 30 years later, and it's truer now than ever before.

Old 10-22-2021, 11:10 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,812,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I've been here around 6 years now, and occasionally I catch my self almost saying "y'all". I have nothing against it, in fact it's nice cause it's one less syllable, but as a northern transplant it doesn't feel quite right. I'd give the shifty-eye if someone moved to Boston and almost immediately started speaking in a Boston accent.

It's awkward though - I don't really say "you guys" anymore, cause that just screams "HEEEEY GUYS I'M A NORTHERNER". Also, unless you're around people who are used to it, it's sort of weird to say that to women. So I end up saying "you all", which is a complete waste of a syllable, but it fits the bill at this point
I hear more and more people on TV (in non-Southern roles) use "y'all" (note to OP: it's "y'all", not "ya'll". Short for "you all", not "ya __"). It doesn't sound weird here even when said in the most obvious "Noo Yawk" accent, and as you note, it's easier. With nongendered pronoun s becoming more common, I think "y'all" will take root in all regions, over "You guys".

For those wanting to avoid "standout" Northern accents, just try to lose the habit of saying "Waiting ON line". that will peg you as a Noo Yawker in almost any state, not just NC.

I agree that calling someone "honey" is not something to strive for. I am presuming that OP has heard it from store clerks, etc, probably older Southern females. They can get away with it, but men should avoid it.

OP: Your writing shows a lot of thought which is appreciated, but you seem to jump back and forth between saying "up here we do this..." and "down here they do this..." I can't tell which spot you're writing from. Stating the actual location ("Here in NJ..." or "here in NC") provides better clarity. Otherwise, you're saying "Here we do this, but here they do that".

I do agree with others that Holly Springs, Fuquay, etc will look like Cary & Apex sooner than you can imagine. Cary was once a sleepy little town of 7000, in my lifetime (and I'm younger than you!). It's still called the "TOWN of Cary". But Southern Wake county does seem to get the lion's share of the transplants from your area, so you'd probably find a lot of familiarity there.

Old 10-22-2021, 11:14 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,812,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
It sounds strange to me to hear people say or write y'all when not Southern.
I disagree (as a lifelong Southerner). I see it as someone who is adapting to their environment. I know Southerners who say "You guys", as well. English needs a second-person plural pronoun (and I nominate "y'all" since it already has that meaning, and I've heard even Brits say it's very handy).

Oh, and to other Northerners not wanting to stand out w their accents, please never call NC "Carolina".
There are two of them, and you're only in one (the good one ). Seems to be a Northeastern thing to say "We moved here to Carolina 5 years ago..." or "What part of Carolina are you from?" etc.

"Carolina" out of context means the university over there in Chapel Hill. Unless you're in South Carolina, in which case it means THEIR flagship state university.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary