Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 08:38 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,084,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelyloril View Post
What about the people who had equity in there homes and are now trying to sell them homes and losing everything because now no one can get approved for a mortgage to buy ?

I am a "victim" I purchased a house 3 years ago in NJ with over over 30% down. I had perfect credit and got a normal loan. Now 3 years later I have lost my job, gotten separated and am forced to move. My house is up for sale and the only offers that are coming in are for close to 130k lower then what I purchased for. I am losing all I have worked for because the average joe can no longer get a mortgage and the market has taken such a beating up here.

When I finally do sell I wont be in a position to purchase as I will have lost all my equity and won't get approved for a mortgage as I am still looking for a job.

Not sure what I have done to bring this all on but I sure don't think I am a deadbeat. Not everyone who is struggling now has made poor choices........

We're coming from a very similar situation and I understand and I bristle as well at the "deadbeat" label. People throw it around WAY too easily without understanding that 'there but for the grace of God, go they'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 08:45 AM

3,304 posts, read 8,555,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
Same scam highlighted in AARP Bulletin May 2008 !!

In the new AARP Bulletin (YES, I'm over 50!!!!) there is an article on this scam alerting potential renters. The same Rev. Moderator cut: removed replied to inquiries about a property in in downtown D.C, stating he was the owner but left for "a mssionary trip in Nigeria". His ad was replete with poor grammar and misspellings. It is recommended that any suspicious ad be "flagged" to the website administrator. There is also a Scambusters.com website you can notify. Seems these rental scams on on the rise since so many people are desperately seeking affordable housing.
LOL, I've been getting AARP stuff forever and I'll be 31 next week.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:00 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,209,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Oh boy, another form of these.

Google Nigerian Scams - you'll see what I mean.
Google "Ebola Monkey Man" for a guy who had a great (and entertaining) revenge plan.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:53 PM

406 posts, read 787,506 times
Default not nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grawburg View Post
You're a "victim of Americas current Mortgage crisis"??? What does that mean? Not being able to pay your mortgage doesn't make you a victim - it makes you a bad financial steward. You want a government bailout I bet, huh?
That is quite a Judgmental statement.

How can you say that to someone in such a dilema?

Old 05-22-2008, 10:43 PM

13 posts, read 35,690 times
That scam is a classic. The real owner is gone and the scammer pretends to be the owner and "rents" the place to you .............until the real owner shows up and kicks you out.

Another scam is the "jury duty" alert. Somebody calls you and pretends to work for the Wake county court system and is sending the Sheriff out to arrest you because you failed to show up for jury duty. Upon you claiming you never received a letter informing you of the jury duty, he says he can stop the arrest process ............. then he wants to confirm your full name, address and SS number. That's it, your identity just got stolen.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:08 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelyloril View Post
What about the people who had equity in there homes and are now trying to sell them homes and losing everything because now no one can get approved for a mortgage to buy ?

I am a "victim" I purchased a house 3 years ago in NJ with over over 30% down. I had perfect credit and got a normal loan. Now 3 years later I have lost my job, gotten separated and am forced to move. My house is up for sale and the only offers that are coming in are for close to 130k lower then what I purchased for. I am losing all I have worked for because the average joe can no longer get a mortgage and the market has taken such a beating up here.

When I finally do sell I wont be in a position to purchase as I will have lost all my equity and won't get approved for a mortgage as I am still looking for a job.

Not sure what I have done to bring this all on but I sure don't think I am a deadbeat. Not everyone who is struggling now has made poor choices........
You are so right. You were a good steward but things went wrong.

Now, time to move on. If you can get out of the house without defaulting, great. If not, use Chapter 7 bankruptcy if necessary to get a new start.

Find a rental and rebuild your credit status. Time heals bad credit.

I was there in 1989 after the economic collapse in Louisiana, Now have an 850 FICO score.

Hang in there, think positive, find strength with family, friends, and your faith in the Lord.

Best regards,

Old 08-14-2008, 09:48 PM

11 posts, read 25,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjsluvskaz View Post
That is quite a Judgmental statement.

How can you say that to someone in such a dilema?
I was actually thinking the same thing. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but I wonder how those two people (the ones with such negative things to say in the first place) would feel if some stranger kicked them while they were down. At least have a little compassion for the children, bad things happen to good people all the time. And if she messed up, so be it, but don't judge her to boot.

If you don't have anything nice to say...

As for the OP, I feel for you and I sincerely hope things work out for you and your family. I also commend you for taking the time to try and protect anyone else from this scam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary