Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Long Islanders in Mebane or Hillsborough, North Carolina transplants, rural and blue collar Mebane, Chapel Hill, South Durham, Wake County, school systems, Durham excellent school district

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 04:50 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,486,068 times

Advertisements

if you want to be in orange county schools, but cant afford chapel hill, i think Mebane is a good choice. it is such a nice little town and although we dont have a mall yet! we are getting an outlet mall and possble a mall similar to southpoint.
this town has a lot to offer--dont discount it, the triangle is spreading farther and farther out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 04:57 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimnSue View Post
Squeezed out......ya know what.......I applologize.....I just relooked it up and the current info I found dated April 28, 2008 says that Johnston Cnty does still allow it...
Yeah, it looks like I was wrong too, but I noticed from the article on April 28th it doesn't sound like thay actually do it.

"Anthony Parker, Johnston County superintendent, said even though his district's policy still allows for corporal punishment, it's not being used. The board simply hasn't gotten around to changing the policy, he said.

"We have discouraged the use of physical punishment of children," Parker said. "We don't think that's the right thing to do nor would we condone it at all."

newsobserver.com | Spare the rod, group urges (http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/1053721.html - broken link)

Since you are trying to stay out of Wake County I would do some google map searches from these other areas to see what the drive to your husbands job will be like. Some of them could be quite far depedning on where it is he needs to drive.

Last edited by North_Raleigh_Guy; 05-22-2008 at 05:11 AM..

Old 05-22-2008, 08:05 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,923,274 times
I live in Mebane in Orange County. I am not from LI, but I am from NJ. Half of my neighbors are too!

As far as commute, we only commute to Durham, so it's not that far. A commute to Raleigh would be further than I would want, but certainly less than the 2 hours you are used to. I don't know what the traffic is like during rush hour, but we routinely go to Clayton on the weekends because my in-laws live there, and it takes us just over an hour, like about an hour and five minutes. That's quite a bit further than Raleigh, but it's also on the weekend so no traffic.

As far as corporal punishment in schools, I have been hearing about it lately because there is a group trying to get it removed from the books in NC, and they were on Dr. Phil last week. So there's been a buzz about this very recently.
NORTH CAROLINA - Disarming the paddlers

Old 05-22-2008, 08:45 AM

431 posts, read 1,337,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Yeah, it looks like I was wrong too, but I noticed from the article on April 28th it doesn't sound like thay actually do it.
Yeh I think it may still be on the books but not enforced....I mean any school in any town would have to take whatever measures god forbid they were being a danger to others........I'm just not for someone else putting their hands on my kids.....If they're gonna get beat I'll be the one to do it....lol
(no hate mail please) only kidding.....

My kids would die if I moved them out of everything they know and the to a school that this happened in.....

As I said I havent heard anything from residents of clayton with school aged kids so I hope it's pretty done with.......and clayton really is a nice area with alot of things happening.....It will be a wonderful change of pace for our family to move to.....its just gotten tooo hectic here on the Island....there's never any time for true family time....everyone is always rushing around and killing themselves to pay the bills and I cant save a penny for their future....Our move will allow us to slow down, be together and be able to start saving for our childrens college and our future......I Cant wait to get back down there......

Old 05-22-2008, 01:42 PM

50 posts, read 196,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
I live in Mebane in Orange County. I am not from LI, but I am from NJ. Half of my neighbors are too!

As far as commute, we only commute to Durham, so it's not that far. A commute to Raleigh would be further than I would want, but certainly less than the 2 hours you are used to. I don't know what the traffic is like during rush hour, but we routinely go to Clayton on the weekends because my in-laws live there, and it takes us just over an hour, like about an hour and five minutes. That's quite a bit further than Raleigh, but it's also on the weekend so no traffic.

As far as corporal punishment in schools, I have been hearing about it lately because there is a group trying to get it removed from the books in NC, and they were on Dr. Phil last week. So there's been a buzz about this very recently.
NORTH CAROLINA - Disarming the paddlers
Thanks for the commuting info. My husband is a carpenter who's main office will be based in Raleigh (not sure exactly where) and he will be all over -- depending on where the work (jobsite is). He does offices, not homes, so I am assuming most of the work will be in the "city" areas.

Can you tell me what you think of Mebane? If our move takes us there, I would like to be in Orange County since that is really as far as we want to go. What's the neighborhood like? I've heard it's extremely rural. We are looking for a nice quiet neighborhood but not out in the middle of nowhere. lol. Anything you can tell me, would be great. And if you have kids, if you could tell me what you think of the schools would be even better!

Old 05-22-2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimnSue View Post
Yeh I think it may still be on the books but not enforced....I mean any school in any town would have to take whatever measures god forbid they were being a danger to others........I'm just not for someone else putting their hands on my kids.....If they're gonna get beat I'll be the one to do it....lol
(no hate mail please) only kidding.....

My kids would die if I moved them out of everything they know and the to a school that this happened in.....

As I said I havent heard anything from residents of clayton with school aged kids so I hope it's pretty done with.......and clayton really is a nice area with alot of things happening.....It will be a wonderful change of pace for our family to move to.....its just gotten tooo hectic here on the Island....there's never any time for true family time....everyone is always rushing around and killing themselves to pay the bills and I cant save a penny for their future....Our move will allow us to slow down, be together and be able to start saving for our childrens college and our future......I Cant wait to get back down there......
My thoughts exactly! Although we like LI, my husband works his butt off just to "get by". Nothing ever gets saved and we are always just making the bills. Never mind a college savings for our kids -- they better get scholarships because we dont' have a nickel for college. My husband works days, nights, weekends -- any OT he can. It would be nice to have him home once in a while to enjoy life and time with the family. I feel bad that he works so hard just to survive. Hoping NC will change things for him and he can relax a little bit!

Old 05-22-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post

"Anthony Parker, Johnston County superintendent, said even though his district's policy still allows for corporal punishment, it's not being used. The board simply hasn't gotten around to changing the policy, he said.

"We have discouraged the use of physical punishment of children," Parker said. "We don't think that's the right thing to do nor would we condone it at all."

newsobserver.com | Spare the rod, group urges (http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/1053721.html - broken link)

Since you are trying to stay out of Wake County I would do some google map searches from these other areas to see what the drive to your husbands job will be like. Some of them could be quite far depedning on where it is he needs to drive.
Thanks for the info. on the schools. I'm sure they don't necessarily "practice" it anymore. Just the idea that it is still legal scares me. BUT, I may just have to get over it -- Between ruling out Wake County, Johnston County and Durham County, I am really limiting myself. Thanks for all your help -- hopefully something will come up that fits all my wants and needs.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:50 PM

413 posts, read 1,254,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezed out View Post
Can you tell me what you think of Mebane? If our move takes us there, I would like to be in Orange County since that is really as far as we want to go. What's the neighborhood like? I've heard it's extremely rural. We are looking for a nice quiet neighborhood but not out in the middle of nowhere. lol. Anything you can tell me, would be great. And if you have kids, if you could tell me what you think of the schools would be even better!
Mebane, town center is probably a bit larger than Hillsborough, but the downtown is in Alamance Co not Orange. The Orange Co side is building up, but still quite rural but easily accessible to amenitites (I'm talking about 5 to 15 minutes to grocery store; 20-30 minutes to a mall). It's picturesque, not remote. As far as schools go, if you are on the Orange Co side you'd probably be districted for Efland Cheeks Elementary, Gravelly Hills Middle School and Orange High School. Certain areas might be districted for Grady Brown ES, Stanford MS and Cedar Ridge HS. You can search the posts for info on those schools--there is quite a bit.
As for neighborhoods in Mebane I know some posters really advocate for Ashbury, although I've only passed by it and don't know anyone living there. If you want Hillsborough, you can look into a number of neighborhoods in close proximity to I-40 and I-85 (for easy commuting for your husband). Some to look into include Becketts Ridge and Cornwallis Hills (both large kid friendly neighborhoods, right off the interstates). There are a number of other smaller neighborhoods as well. The distance btw Mebane and Hillsborough is only about 10 or 15 minutes (depending on what side and to where), so it's not that big a diff. Hope that helps!

Old 05-22-2008, 08:01 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,923,274 times
Quote:
Thanks for the commuting info. My husband is a carpenter who's main office will be based in Raleigh (not sure exactly where) and he will be all over -- depending on where the work (jobsite is). He does offices, not homes, so I am assuming most of the work will be in the "city" areas.

My father-in-law works in alarms and also does businesses, not homes. He lives in Clayton, but he has to drive ALL over the place for his job, anywhere from Fayetteville to Greensboro and even further sometimes! They send him all over the place. His drive time does count toward his hours though, so that's good! I don't know if your husband's job is like that, but Mebane is halfway between Durham and Burlington, and halfway between Raleigh and Greensboro, so if he may need to commute to the Triad or the Triangle, then Mebane would be good. If, like my FIL, he may have to go way down to Fayetteville, then something closer to Raleigh may be better.

I live in Ashbury, which is a very typical looking suburban tract home neighborhood I think. We have a pool, and a gym, and walking trails and all that sort of thing. We are on .2 acre lots. I don't consider this neighborhood rural. HOWEVER, we also looked at homes that were in the southern part of Mebane, outside city limits, and that area was very rural. The view from the house we liked included silos! So it all depends where you are and how close to "town" you are. Where we are in Ashbury is very close to the interstate, which makes the commute easy. We are pretty close to town so grocery shopping and stuff is all right there. We even have a Walmart and a Lowe's Home Improvement. And the public library in Mebane is really nice too. All within 5-10 minutes easy.

I do have a child, but she is not school-age yet. I know we are zoned for Efland-Cheeks Elementary though.

There have been several other threads about Mebane recently, and you could probably find out more by doing a search on this forum, if you haven't already.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:46 PM

7 posts, read 23,749 times
Quote:
I've heard that Johnston County schools still practice corporal punishment with the students so I am staying clear of that. But in regards to Hillsborough, do you know roughly what the commute would be to Raleigh? My husband will be working in and around that area. He now commutes 1-1/2 to 2 hours into Manhattan from LI, so anything less than that is better but a half-hour commute is a dream! Thanks.
squeezed out,

I am a soon-to-be former LI resident (we close on our new home in SW Durham in exactly 1 week!) and will be moving in the middle of June to the truly wonderful neighborhood of Woodcroft. I understand your pain as well as JimnSue's pain but I think you all need to visit these areas you are thinking about and really get a feel for them b4 making the leap. Dont take anyone's word on it bcuz they may have a different set of standards than you. Also don't discount some of the areas because of schools (there are diamonds in the rough in any situation). I suggest you look throughout this forum for pictures and neighborhood descriptions from MrsSteel that sold us on SW Durham! Thanks again, MrsSteel...

We currently live in Long Beach, NY and my wife commutes into Midtown everyday while I drive the 5 miles up the road to West Hempstead where my company is. So her mandate (which I easily agreed to) was to, like you are looking for, find a place within a half-hour commute because she no longer wanted the daily 3-hr roundtrip of LI Bus, LIRR train, uptown E train, walk three blocks to her office at 55th/Madison - repeat in reverse for the evening. Well, just two years ago, we lived in Park Slope Brooklyn and I was the one with the 3-hr reverse commute and she had the 30 minute subway ride into work. No more, especially with the March 08 hike in LIRR and MTA fees.

My sister lives in NC (on Fort Bragg in Fayetteville) so we spend a lot of time down there and I can give you a few Nassau/Suffolk County references. Hillsborough is flatly more than 30 minutes away from Raleigh - sorry, and is very much like most of the far east towns in Suffolk County like Port Jeff, Stony Brook. Very mom-and-pop. Mebane is even more rural (think Riverhead, Calverton). We drove that way this past Sunday to visit friends from college and IMO, if your husband really wants to stick to that 30 minute commute, you should reconsider Durham or Clayton as your farthest western and eastern choices, respectively.

For a comparative flavor for each of the communites in-between SW Durham and Clayton, here are my analogies:

SW Durham - Old Westbury meets Huntington
Morrisville - Bay Shore or Plainview or Happaugue
Cary - Great Neck/Manhassat or Garden City
Duke area - Hofstra / Stony Brook
East Durham - Hempstead/Uniondale
West Raleigh - Lynbrook/Valley Stream
North Raleigh - Rockville Centre/Merrick
Clayton - Bethpage or Islip

Just my opinion from short 2-3 day trips over the past 5 years to central NC during holidays and what-not. And as a final pitch for SW Durham, we have a 1-1/2 year old and found a great daycare for her 1 mile from our home. Once my sister found out that we were serious about the move to Durham, she did some intensive research and found that the Durham schools get a bad wrap. Look thru the forum here and you'll find some of the things she found but mostly, attentive parents have nothing to fear from Durham schools. We have to be our children's first and last teachers. The latest high school rankings in Newsweek have the SW Durham schools (Jordan and Durham School of Arts) ranked in the top 25%.

Getting back to my main point: if you want your husband to truly relax, move closer to Raleigh and maybe - gasp - the schols may not be that bad. Ok, good night now. I'm delaying having to go to work tomorrow... counting the days to launch. I seem to have Carolina in my mind, as James Taylor would say
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary