Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2022, 07:36 AM

2,216 posts, read 2,936,227 times

Advertisements

I've been in NC for 16 years now and I still can't deal with the summers here. It actually makes me depressed because I have to stay indoors all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2022, 07:40 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
Summer weather in Raleigh is a lot more tolerable than where I grew up in south Alabama... in a house without air conditioning.

Old 04-13-2022, 09:08 AM

18,042 posts, read 15,639,191 times
Humidity is what really wears me down, combined with temps >80.

Old 04-13-2022, 11:39 AM

797 posts, read 3,579,090 times
Agree completely. I've lived in NC all my life (42 years old now). The summers are actually worse to me with every passing year. We bought a place in the NC mountains in late 2019 as a summer escape (at an elevation of 4,400 feet) and it is just awesome. Like being in a completely different part of the country than the rest of NC. Heck, even Boone feels hot at 82-83 degrees. We never see the thermometer hit higher than 78-79 and all the nights always get into the 50's. We do not even have central air nor the need for it. I plan to always spend June through mid-September up there every year for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
I've been in NC for 16 years now and I still can't deal with the summers here. It actually makes me depressed because I have to stay indoors all the time.

Old 04-14-2022, 06:29 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,099,725 times
I'm a NC native but lived in Flagstaff and Fort Collins for a while about 20 years back. While in Flagstaff I often traveled to Lake Havasu for work...talk about hot! That said, the hottest day I had in Havasu was 124, and I found that to be about equally tolerable to a 97 degree day with humidity here, plus I didn't sweat as much in the Arizona heat and shade does provide some respite in the desert. I've been back in NC for 20 years and I still loathe the humidity.

You might consider waiting out this crazy market to stay in Phoenix for now...you can always find rain and cooler temps a short drive up the mountain - especially during the monsoon. Those rains are gloriously cool and refreshing in Flagstaff, even in August!

Old 04-14-2022, 06:37 AM

289 posts, read 254,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
I'm a NC native but lived in Flagstaff and Fort Collins for a while about 20 years back. While in Flagstaff I often traveled to Lake Havasu for work...talk about hot! That said, the hottest day I had in Havasu was 124, and I found that to be about equally tolerable to a 97 degree day with humidity here, plus I didn't sweat as much in the Arizona heat and shade does provide some respite in the desert. I've been back in NC for 20 years and I still loathe the humidity.

You might consider waiting out this crazy market to stay in Phoenix for now...you can always find rain and cooler temps a short drive up the mountain - especially during the monsoon. Those rains are gloriously cool and refreshing in Flagstaff, even in August!
You did sweat, it just evaporated. That's why low humidity/high heat is often more tolerable than high humidity/less hot. Your sweat actually serves a purpose in AZ. It evaporates quickly and helps to keep you cool. In high-humidity locations, your sweat just stays on your body and you feel icky sticky yucky. I hate it

Old 04-16-2022, 07:42 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,537,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlito2002wgn View Post
You did sweat, it just evaporated. That's why low humidity/high heat is often more tolerable than high humidity/less hot. Your sweat actually serves a purpose in AZ. It evaporates quickly and helps to keep you cool. In high-humidity locations, your sweat just stays on your body and you feel icky sticky yucky. I hate it
I was going to say this same thing, the sweat just evaporated. Which can also be dangerous if you ignore it and don't hydrate appropriately, as heat stroke will sneak up on you. Usually the constant presence of flop sweat in a humid environment reminds you to keep drinking.

Old 04-16-2022, 07:54 PM

273 posts, read 562,293 times
Been here over 20 years and the summers are getting intolerable for me. My parents live near the Adirondacks an we are hoping i buy a cabin there to escape in the summers when schools out.

Old 04-26-2022, 04:52 PM

942 posts, read 2,519,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post

I'm trying sooo hard. It's almost impossible to buy anywhere right now, but it's supposed to hit 100 today

Old 04-26-2022, 09:32 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,868,871 times
I went to wash the car at midday to get some of that nice sun.

It was humid, but nice for a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary