Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2008, 09:27 AM

431 posts, read 1,337,955 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone.....I know I've read about this b4..But I still am very curious....When we were down there visiting and getting a feel for the different areas, we found some developments we really liked....

Here's the problem.....I love the idea of the community pools/facilities and I think its a great way to meet up w/the new neighbors especially for the kids but we are so used to having a pool rignt in our back yard along with the fact that only one out of three of my boys would be old enough to use the pool on his own becomes a bit burdensome......I have a 13, 10, 5 year old and the 10 year old swims like a fish would spend hours in the pool w/no swimmies or assistance for years b4 he could touch the bottom....

We've grown accustomed to just taking a dip whenever we want and It's really nice to say I'm gonna go take a swim and walk out the back door....

I really love pineville east/glen laurel/summerlyn......and a few others......I like the idea if although some are huge developments they are still a tight community in the sense the boys would be able to have plenty of friends and ride their bikes to their homes rather than some developments that are beautiful but set somewhat far off from other developments.....

I guess my ? is everyone speaks of how hot it gets down there but I just find it odd how all these homes have no pools of their own....I have read that some think it is not a positive but a negative for homeowners w/upkeep and other reasons.....but the expense for us would only be a positive....we are not concerned about getting a return on it......Hopefully this would be our last move as we are waiting for the husband to retire from NYPD....

So my last ? is can anyone give me any other insight on other new subdivisions that are a little bigger or set in or near other communities that allow pvt pools and or also have the community pools but allow you to put in pvt pools.....

this really is and I believe a deal breaker for us.....I fell in love w/one house and have been tracking it for months everything is perfect the prop/house/area/amenities except for the allowance of a pool........

Since we have always had one in the yard I think not having it would be a huge upset for the kids and moving them away from all that they know especially at the beginning of the move I think having the pool to just sit back and spend family time while adjusting is an important thing for us...

Any insight would be great and always I thank you in advance for everyones great information that you all have and will share...

Suzanne
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 10:43 AM

214 posts, read 701,821 times
I don't think the lots are big enough in Summerlyn for a pool. Glen Laurel does allow private pools though I am not sure of the rules for them. At least 4 houses on my street in GL have pools and they are on the golf course side. I think most people just prefer not to have the hassle and expense of their own pool. Many people belong to their own pool or join Riverwood which includes quite a few pools, athletic clubs and the 27 hole golf course at Riverwood. There are a few other private pool club that people belong to. Some people head to the beach. It does get hot for sure so access to some sort of pool is a must.

Old 05-18-2008, 04:01 PM

Yes I do know that Glen laurel allows pools as long as you fence the property and on the golf course you have to use a wrought iron fence only......Summerlyn and Flowers (Pineville east) and actually all of their phases do not allow you own pvt pool.....

I just wasnt sure if maybe we missed some s/d's that weren't far out from other communities that allowed private pools......

When we take a trip back down I'll have to research it more......No matter what we do we will either find a home where we can have one put in or one that has a pool on the premis (sp?)

I guess when your so used to having access 24 hrs aday and don't have to go further than your backyard it's hard to vision anything else.....

Also most of the new homes in GL were in the upper $200's to $350's and then the cost of putting in the pool kinda puts us in a ballpark financially that I don't know if I want to be in.......its a great area and a model home we looked at was beautiful.....so we'll just have to see whats there when we are ready for the actual move......Glen Laurel was definately in the top 3 I loved the whole community feel and that is established in the sense there will be families there already rather than waiting and hoping families similliar to ours will be moving in and when......

Old 05-19-2008, 11:38 AM

12 posts, read 25,823 times
Default Private pools allowed in this subdivison

JimnSue,

I don't know what price ranges you are looking for or what size house, but one of the new best kept secret subdivisions that is currently under construction is called Hannah's Creek in Clayton. It is close to the new bypass and the new soon to be hospital and the lots are large and flat and private pools are allowed as long as they are inground and you get permission from the homeowners (which isn't a problem). Currently, there is a nice mix of young families, retirees, and everyone else in the middle in here. There is already another couple retiring from the NYPD who has just built their house here. If you buy one of the new construction houses, all you have to do is get permission before you buy it to make things easy. Our neighbors already did that although they are yet to install theirs. This community originally was slated for a possible community pool but the developer decided early on not to do that because the subdivision is not going to be that large (about 70 houses total). All of the lots are very flat and would be great for pools. There will be a common area with either picnic areas, soccer fields, a playset or some combination of the 3 when the subdivsion is closer to being finished (if a common gathering area is important to you). Check it out.

Generally speaking, pools tend to be looked at in terms of resale value as a potential turnoff because of upkeep and liability. The decision to install a pool should be based soley on the desire of your own family to use it. If resale is not of importance to you, then do whatever you'd like. There are people who desire to buy homes with pools, it just might take you longer to find such a buyer if you were to ever have to sell.

Old 05-19-2008, 12:00 PM

892 posts, read 3,160,676 times
I remember being quite shocked when we moved to Johnston County as to how many homes had their own pools. Shoot, in the Clayton area alone there are three brick and mortar pool stores and at least as many on-call, in-home businesses. Perhaps looking at existing homes with pools might better suit your little ten year old fish!

Old 05-19-2008, 12:37 PM

1,515 posts, read 6,981,776 times
I'm about 99.9% positive Cobblestone allows pools in the backyard and they have a community pool as well.

I would suggest the Anderson homes at Cobblestone since the lots are alot bigger than the KB homes ones.

Good luck!

Old 05-19-2008, 01:34 PM

Elle76 we did come accross Hannah's creek at the end of our trip and we did really like it......we didnt get inside a home but spoke w.a realtor from the spec sheet....we actually liked one at the end of the 2nd cul-de-sac on the left actually the next door neighbor had NY plates on I think it was a truck ...we liked the $ the homes were just what we are looking for I liked the flat prop which is huge since ya cant find decent sized props that are flat and not a hike to your neighbors....the pvc railings on the deck/screened porch, etc.......we had done our search and really liked e of 42 so we kinda focused over there and at the end of the trip we ventured over onto the west side and found Hannahs creek....I didnt even have paperwork for it we just drove past and turned in......so I really hadn't researched over on that side or really familiarized myself with it.....although we did say we would look over there again when we make the trip back down..

Playnice......we rebuilt our home here w/granite,ss appliance,ceramic baths, hardwood floors, redid every inch of this house, pool.........so I wanna be a little spoiled when we do leave after 13 years of redoing this home on our own I don't want to do that again honestly other than picking out colors...lol

Although I would consider a newer home maybe a year or 2 or something like that.....
about my fish......lol far from little he's like a 10 year old shark......he's bigger than my 13 year old..... he's got the body of a football player and the sensitivity of a mushy teddy bear......he's my big galoot..!!!

Ferrickhead......we did take a look at Cobblestone on our trip you had actually mentioned it to me a couple of months ago......We did really like the Anderson Model....it was beautiful I think it was the (Bordeau) sp? But the area and development just didn't feel like a fit for us.....

Its funny we went down looking for a min of 4brs, large bonus room, office/lr, fam room,deck and or screened porch...... around $300 give or take dependant on the home and its offerings..... but even though homes look amazing on paper, making the drive thru the neighborhoods and taking a look a the true prop size/slant/slope etc changes everything........

I think I liked Pineville east so much because of the development itself....with the roads and underground drainage systems......probably because its more of what I'm accustomed to.......its funny everytime we looked at a home w.the sloping drainage in the front yard it just seemed odd to me since we're used to a flat front yard and drainage is in the streets and my 4 year old kept running down the slopes and falling....

Moving to the new area is going to be tuff but as I said we definately got a feel for the area and some areas just seemed like......"We could live here" like it felt right.....

I also came accross another development I guess its possibly in the Cleveland/Polenta area???? not sure if I'm right.....................it was right next to Centex it was called
Timber Creek or Tymber Creek......nice homes some flat lots.....large bonus rooms.....not sure about the pools there were lots of homes almost complete and plenty of spec sheets but no realtor/builder were on site so we just walked thru alot of the homes ourselves......

does anyone know what development I'm speaking of ???? The area/schools.....

thanks again...

Suzanne

Old 05-21-2008, 10:02 PM

8 posts, read 23,119 times
Hi we just bought a home in walker woods at flowers. You can have a pool there you just have to get it approved.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:05 AM

sharondHi we just bought a home in walker woods at flowers. You can have a pool there you just have to get it approved

HI Sharond......first off....congrats on the new home.......

Really......

I just checked flowers site and found Walker Woods.....beautiful homes......Not sure its in our price range though......we're looking to stay close to $3ook Where is Walker Woods located in comparison to the new developement w/Pineville East/West?

I don't remember seeing it when we were down there......maybe because the homes weren't in our range......but I know we didnt check them out......

I appreciate your response if ya can let me know more that would be great.....and I will definately look into it......I really do love the whole flowers plantation area.....the whole community is set up really nice and everyone seems really nice.......like I said I fell in love w/a home over in Pineville East.....its just the pool thing is a biggy even though they are building the whole indoor/outdoor pool spa fitness center. I'd still like to have our own.....but flowers would be my first choice....

The homes they have listed are absolutely beautiful, you must be thrilled....Congrats again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary