U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 01:56 PM

11,467 posts, read 25,689,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
The best kept secret in Raleigh for fresh meats is Larry's Supermarket. It's on the corner of Milburnie Rd. and Raleigh Blvd. They got it all...."sho nuff"
Are they reasonable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 03:35 PM

5,982 posts, read 7,361,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Are they reasonable?
Larry's is not a fancy upscale meat market, and the prices are very reasonable. It's not exactly in the best section of Raleigh, but don't worry...knowbody is going to bite. A trip to Larry's won't be your last. They have it all!

Old 10-26-2008, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Larry's is not a fancy upscale meat market, and the prices are very reasonable. It's not exactly in the best section of Raleigh, but don't worry...knowbody is going to bite. A trip to Larry's won't be your last. They have it all!
Thanks for the lead! Do they run specials or is the same price all the time? Could you give me an idea what you buy and how much it is? The way things are, we're trying to watch everything. LOL

Old 10-26-2008, 06:46 PM

516 posts, read 1,686,847 times
What about Choice beef?

In California, Albertson's and Stater Brothers both carry Choice as well as Select beef - and I have gotten to where I almost always get Choice. I didn't see the USDA grade at Food Lion - so I have to assume Select.

Where do you get GOOD Choice beef, then?

Old 10-27-2008, 09:10 AM

I can't answer your question, but I get all my meats from Albertson's. (FL) I'm satisfied with their meats.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:34 AM

5,982 posts, read 7,361,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Thanks for the lead! Do they run specials or is the same price all the time? Could you give me an idea what you buy and how much it is? The way things are, we're trying to watch everything. LOL
Gosh...I'm a guy grocery shopper. I don't really keep up with the specials and prices like you gals I did buy whole fryers last week for $1.29 lb. I buy my chickens there because it's the only place in Raleigh I can find a 2 1/2 lb chicken...the perfect size for the grill. I recall paying $1.98 recently for lean ground sirloin.

Here's a link to a recent article about Larry's. It really is a Raleigh landmark. newsobserver.com | Friendly grocery a city landmark (http://www.newsobserver.com/print/wednesday/other/story/1221682.html - broken link)

Old 10-27-2008, 02:31 PM

355 posts, read 850,105 times
Are there any local farms that sell direct to people? For example, in VA we had Polyface Farms, which sold free range chickens, lamb, pork, among other things. (I never knew how good chicken could be until I had theirs. I thought it was all the same.) They sell mostly to chefs in DC, but they had neighborhood pickups where someone would volunteer their driveway for an afternoon and you could pick up an order from them. Anything like that around?

Old 10-27-2008, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Gosh...I'm a guy grocery shopper. I don't really keep up with the specials and prices like you gals I did buy whole fryers last week for $1.29 lb. I buy my chickens there because it's the only place in Raleigh I can find a 2 1/2 lb chicken...the perfect size for the grill. I recall paying $1.98 recently for lean ground sirloin.

Here's a link to a recent article about Larry's. It really is a Raleigh landmark. newsobserver.com | Friendly grocery a city landmark (http://www.newsobserver.com/print/wednesday/other/story/1221682.html - broken link)
The $59.99 deal sounds good, but I'll do without the pigs feet! I wonder what cuts of meat are in there? I'll have to check it out!

Old 10-27-2008, 04:50 PM

1,553 posts, read 3,873,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relocary View Post
I always loved the meat in fresh market...definetely expensive..but somehow i feel safe eating them and yes..they are yummy
hear hear. i'd vote for whole foods. fresh, and delicious.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:51 PM

1,254 posts, read 4,263,350 times
If I buy red meat, rare, but sometimes I buy ground round or a roast, I will buy from Fresh Market. I love their bakery as well. I will buy italian sausage from DaVinci's in Wake Forest, they are very good as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary