Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 01:03 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,339,535 times

Advertisements

Here is one to thing about. If you could develop the ultimate community here in the triangle what would it consist of?

Would it considered rural, suburb, city, or something in between?
Would it have single family homes or would it be multi family units only?
Would it have its own mass transit or community owned bikes and eco-friendly vehicles system?
Would it produce its own percentage of community energy use? Solar/Wind
Would it have its own recycling center?
What type of jobs would be allowed in this 'new' community? retail, office, services, hospital(s), light industry, eco-friendly only industry?
Would there be a centralized parks system that all can use without having to travel and use fuels to get there?
Would this community obtain benefits from electricity and gas companies due to them requiring less resources than the communities built today?
Would this community be built totally new away from current development or near to supplement current communities?
Would it only have 'Community' School where children can attend within their communities. Buses used for trips and school activities only? Based on that would tax rates be lower due to less operating cost?

....or am I just dreaming on this Friday the start of the Holiday weekend? What are your 'thoughts' of a new community?

For those that can remember living in cities of yester year the above sounds pretty much the way cities were with exception to its power needs. Are we headed back to the Future?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 01:08 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,767,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
Would this community obtain benefits from electricity and gas companies due to them requiring less resources than the communities built today?
This makes no sense to me. These are for profit companies. They have certain fixed cost to deliver service. If you using less, they are making less and the fixed cost is spread over a smaller bill.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:20 PM

For me, my neighborhood is pretty close to my idea of a perfect. It is a neo-traditional neighborhood with sidewalks and walking paths, a lake, playgrounds, a nice pool, etc. A neighborhood school (even if not officially) and a neighborhood day care. A village center with some shops (I remain hopeful this will improve). I can take a short bus line to work or ride my bike if I opt not to drive. And it is a short drive if I do drive (I put ~6K miles on my car in a year, versus most people averaging more like 12K). I am short drive to shopping needs.

My neighbors are friendly and active. There is a real sense of community. It is the sort of neighborhood that makes you proud that your kids are growing up in it. Very safe.

It is well served by highways and major roads for those occasions where I want to go into bigger downtowns. There is tons of greenway around, plus the American Tobacco Trail. The airport is quite convenient.

The homes themselves are very nice and give a great combination of luxury and value. I can easily see myself staying in the home for 20-30 years.

The jobs nearby are highly skilled and pay very well. The base of jobs is nicely diversified. The population is quite educated.

To me those are the important things and I have them now.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:31 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
I know I don't live there anymore; but if I had to pick an ideal neigbhorhood after living in many different areas of the triangle, as random as it may sound, I would pick Walden Creek in Apex. A nice siize, not giant like Lochmere and Preston, but not just some raondomly placed circle of houses with a couple culdescas strewn out the edges; and a reasonable range in size and price of traditional looking houses. The most convenient location at 55 and 64 in Apex (which IMO is the most liveable town in Wake County..atleast it used to be). It's new-ish (late 90's/2000) but still established, lots of trees. Seemed like most of the familes there fit out demographic as well (married couples with kids in their teens or middle school, my oldest two kids had several friends in that neighborhood). Before we decided to move back to NY, Walden Creek was our main focus for a neighborhood to buy in Apex.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:35 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
Here is one to thing about. If you could develop the ultimate community here in the triangle what would it consist of?

Would it considered rural, suburb, city, or something in between?
Would it have single family homes or would it be multi family units only?
Would it have its own mass transit or community owned bikes and eco-friendly vehicles system?
Would it produce its own percentage of community energy use? Solar/Wind
Would it have its own recycling center?
What type of jobs would be allowed in this 'new' community? retail, office, services, hospital(s), light industry, eco-friendly only industry?
Would there be a centralized parks system that all can use without having to travel and use fuels to get there?
Would this community be built totally new away from current development or near to supplement current communities?
Would it only have 'Community' School where children can attend within their communities. Buses used for trips and school activities only? Based on that would tax rates be lower due to less operating cost?

....or am I just dreaming on this Friday the start of the Holiday weekend? What are your 'thoughts' of a new community?

For those that can remember living in cities of yester year the above sounds pretty much the way cities were with exception to its power needs. Are we headed back to the Future?
This is easy! My perfect neighborhood already exists. It is the Historic Neighborhood of Cameron Park in Downtown Raleigh. Living there would provide me the joy having the best of both worlds by being extemely close to the Urban core of downtown Raleigh while enjoying a single family house with a yard for a garden and mature landscaping. I could ride my bike to work each day and my wife could undoubtly get a job in the nearby shops of cameron village which she could walk to. We would have easy access to downtown and could walk to cameron village to shop / dine / buy groceries / and get online at the public library to post on city-data.

There is one obstacle that stands between me and my dream to live in Cameron Park. $$$$$

Old 05-23-2008, 01:43 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times

"...where they hung the jerk that invented work..."

or, alternatively,

Anywhere my Sweetie wants to be...

Old 05-23-2008, 01:50 PM

2 posts, read 3,913 times
To Dire Wolf: And what community would that be?

Old 05-23-2008, 02:55 PM

I'm in Carpenter Village.

Also, forgot to mention I have a public library that is a 3-4 minute walk away. Another big plus.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:46 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
There is one obstacle that stands between me and my dream to live in Cameron Park. $$$$$
You got that right

But, we do have a Lottery now...

Old 05-23-2008, 04:01 PM

I love Cameron Park, but it has two issues beyond the initial affordability for me:

1) I've owned an old, historic home before. I'm glad I had the experience, but never again. The recurring maintenance headache was just too much for me. And not just the cost aspect of that.

2) Commute. If I worked ITB it would be great. I used to dream of buying a home there or Hayes Barton when I worked at Centennial Campus awaiting my startups IPO that would make me wealthy (that never happened obviously). But if I had to commute daily down I-40 to RTP I think I would go nuts. As long as I still have to work, my current location is the best overall choice. Commuting in to Raleigh isn't so bad if I had to do it. I can easily get to RTP, Durham, Chapel Hill and Raleigh from here for work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary