U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 12:34 PM

1,422 posts, read 3,871,820 times

Advertisements

Well, when is it a good timing? I got summoned for jury duty, it's set for the day before I move out of state. I called the clerk and explained that to her but she was unsympathetic and said to show up that morning. Any one with experience with their duty? Is there any way I can get the judge to excuse me so I can help my wife pack up the house to ship out? It's stressful enough as it is...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 12:40 PM

892 posts, read 2,790,909 times
Does it not say to call the night before? If so, maybe you will not even be required to show.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:09 PM

8,264 posts, read 21,803,020 times
There is usually a form you can fill out to be excused or have your service deferred. If it is deferred and then you move out of state before they call you again, then you won't have to do it. I'd just write tham and tell them you are moving.

What if I can't serve on the date I have been told to report to the courthouse?

There are no automatic exemptions from jury duty if you meet the qualifications as a juror. You may ask the Chief District Court judge to defer your service to a date that is more convenient if serving at the original time would cause an unusual or difficult circumstance. You may also ask to be excused if you have a medical condition that prevents your service, have served as a juror within the past two (2) years, or are otherwise ineligible to serve.

You must apply for a deferment in writing, at least one (1) week in advance of your scheduled service date. You will be notified of the decision. To request a deferment, address your application to:

Chief District Court Judge
Post Office Box 351
Raleigh, NC 27602-0351

Old 05-22-2008, 01:14 PM

2,697 posts, read 7,611,774 times
My husband got a letter a few months ago. He owns his own company and works in Richmond, VA and our house was on the market. He wrote them a letter explaining the situation and was excused.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:14 PM

14,294 posts, read 20,539,012 times
Makes no sense. Fill out the form and mail it in. I highly doubt they will make you serve.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:23 PM

997 posts, read 4,158,951 times
I was issued jury duty a couple of weeks ago. I called the night before like the form explained and they said I didn't have to come in. Boy, was I relieved!

Old 05-22-2008, 01:23 PM

183 posts, read 598,320 times
Definitely fill out that form. When I had to serve jury duty, I don't know if this is the case with every judge, but the one presiding over that case asked the juror pool if there was any reason they couldn't serve, and one of the jurors had a similar situation and was excused by the judge. So you may get a shot at a last-ditch effort to get out of it!

Old 05-22-2008, 01:42 PM

2,270 posts, read 8,100,367 times
Where exactly are you? From what I understand it is pretty straightforward to write a letter to Wake County and explain your situation and get excused (I've done it myself for a different situation). However, I've heard that Durham County can be a much bigger challenge.

In any case, you must request in writing, which is probably why asking by phone didn't yield results.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:59 PM

405 posts, read 1,582,382 times
FWIW, I actually had no trouble rescheduling a jury summons in Durham County. In fact, the clerk even let me pick my own date.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:10 PM

1,422 posts, read 3,871,820 times
I'm in Durham county. I think because I'll be closing on my out of state home before my service date, I'll try to fax a copy of that deed over to the clerk and let them know I'm moving. I'm guessing that a legal document is more potent than my words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary