U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 02:07 PM

64 posts, read 348,838 times

Advertisements

This will not be resolved for a while.

Supreme Court halts Wake year-round plans :: WRAL.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 02:10 PM

8,269 posts, read 21,897,666 times
Crazy...I wish they would just settle this once and for all.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:12 PM

2,557 posts, read 6,180,153 times
This doesn't really surprise me. No point with WCPSS going forward until the courts review the decision.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:18 PM

997 posts, read 4,172,347 times
WHAT..................... One minute they have parents thinking one thing, and another minute they have them thinking something else. I hate to say it, but this is one thing I won't miss. This really needs to be resolved once and for all but I agree Vnyrd that this isn't going to be resolved for a while to come.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:46 PM

2,557 posts, read 6,180,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jln69 View Post
WHAT..................... One minute they have parents thinking one thing, and another minute they have them thinking something else.
Don't read too much into a stay

Old 05-22-2008, 09:04 PM

245 posts, read 729,963 times
Default Make a Decision Already!!

My family and I have lived in Cary since 2005, and we wouldn't change it for the world. We know several families that have gone to year round schools. My neighborhood school (Davis Drive) is traditional calendar. My daughter goes to a traditional calendar magnet school in Raleigh. Truth be told, we would have chosen the year round option over the trailer park that is Davis Drive (I know, it's the best test scores around and a wonderful school, just BIG and those trailers....) if she didn't get into the magnet.

My God, anyone who moves to this area must realize by now that it has been rapidly growing, and one of the reasons people love it is because we are so blessed with wonderful families and a great school system. The county must spend a fortune on lawyers with this stupid prolonged litigation over how to allocate year round assignments. Imagine if even a little of that money was available maybe to subsidize some track out programs???? And should every neighborhood need a bus both for the traditional calendar students and the year round students??

Looking forward, it makes sense that some areas will be assigned year round and some will stay traditional calendar. Is there any way to at least make the new families (moving into the area or with oldest kid in K) stick with their neighborhood's assignment?? This "consent" stuff is nonsense, a needless bureaucratic hassle, and does not resolve anything for anybody!

I hate to see the effect this issue has on the community. The paper is full of all this nastiness, yet the vast majority of people I know who have chosen all sorts of educational options are very satisfied.

Old 05-23-2008, 05:41 AM

2,135 posts, read 6,853,753 times
A few weeks ago I got a letter from WCPSS stating I had to give signed permission for my child to attend year round or she would be assigned to a traditional school.

Then a week later I got a letter stating my child would be going to year round unless I requested traditional.

How many people belong to WakeCARES anyway?

Quote:
The paper is full of all this nastiness, yet the vast majority of people I know who have chosen all sorts of educational options are very satisfied.
That has been my experience as well. When chatting at the park or the store about schools I tell people I have no complaints with year round. And I have gotten the same response. As a matter of fact I know several parents that had traditional as a base school and applied for their child to go year round as a magnet option. I'm just waiting for the day when I'm praising the year round option to deal with growth and someone around me clams up or becomes argumentative.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:54 AM

7,713 posts, read 12,916,677 times
It seems strange to me that the school system is paid for by the people's taxes and is supposed to be representing the parents and listening to the parents; but instead
they are using our taxes to fight the parents in the courts.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:56 AM

7,713 posts, read 12,916,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtoNC! View Post
When chatting at the park or the store about schools I tell people I have no complaints with year round. And I have gotten the same response. As a matter of fact I know several parents that had traditional as a base school and applied for their child to go year round as a magnet option. I'm just waiting for the day when I'm praising the year round option to deal with growth and someone around me clams up or becomes argumentative.
Well then, come chat with me!!!

Old 05-23-2008, 08:54 AM

114 posts, read 335,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
It seems strange to me that the school system is paid for by the people's taxes and is supposed to be representing the parents and listening to the parents; but instead
they are using our taxes to fight the parents in the courts.
Well, the group sued the school system not the other way around. If the school system doesn't agree with the group, what choice would they have? They cannot just ignore it.

I agree that it's not a wise use of funds, but you could say the same thing about WakeCares also. Each side has a right to defend their position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary