U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you a city or country person? 3rd option in other, please explain
City 19 51.35%
Country 13 35.14%
Other (excluding suburban) 5 13.51%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 03:34 PM

94 posts, read 283,874 times

Advertisements

Just Curious...How would you discribe yourself?
I ask because my first impression of the Triangle Area is that it has alot of what I percieve to be country areas in very close proximity to the downtown areas. Of course my perception is swayed because of where I am moving from. I'm looking to get others perceptions.
Please vote
1. City
2. Country
3. Other (suburban excluded) Explain...

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 04:23 PM

3,353 posts, read 3,851,171 times
I picked city but I'd be very happy in the country as well. I just don't like suburbia (and yet I live in it! heh)

Old 05-22-2008, 07:22 PM

3,155 posts, read 9,580,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
I picked city but I'd be very happy in the country as well. I just don't like suburbia (and yet I live in it! heh)
Ditto. Suburbia has been the biggest adjustment of my life. I love my neighbors here in suburbia, but I really don't care for much else. I told my husband that I could do surburbia for 10 years and then I'm moving. The next move will either be an urban loft or an eco-friendly house that is off the grid in the middle of no where, so I can grow my own food and have chickens!!

Old 05-22-2008, 07:48 PM

2,408 posts, read 9,665,019 times
Why have you excluded "suburban"? I am disabled, and would find it impossible to live in in the city (with lack of curbcuts, elevators and parking) and also find it impossible to live in the country, also, for lack of accessibility.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:53 PM

55 posts, read 158,622 times
I think I'm a good mix of both. I grew up in the country (rural Chatham county) and just recently moved to the big city of Durham. Both are appealing but I like the convenience of living in the city. I think I've brought along the values that come along with country living (simplicity, self-sustainability, etc) and I'm doing my best to incorporate them in our new life here.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:02 AM

2,530 posts, read 7,925,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
Ditto. Suburbia has been the biggest adjustment of my life. I love my neighbors here in suburbia, but I really don't care for much else. I told my husband that I could do surburbia for 10 years and then I'm moving. The next move will either be an urban loft or an eco-friendly house that is off the grid in the middle of no where, so I can grow my own food and have chickens!!
Me too. I was just walking around downtown Seattle the other day and feeling so energized by the energy and practicality of city life. I was also seeing some amazing lofts and townhomes in South Lake Union that were green-designed and very cool and modern.

On the flip side, I could just as well settle in for a relaxed life in the mountains somewhere, preferably in a passive-solar home.

But yep, I too live in suburbia. Worse yet, I'm trying to sell my suburban home and move to another suburban home, but at least the new home would be much closer in to the city and to my office (bike commuting - yea!) and would also border a state park for easy access to nature!

Old 05-23-2008, 06:22 AM

2,813 posts, read 6,447,976 times
I chose city, grew up in a city, moved to a city after college, than moved to suburbia / rural and can't really get use to it. Like the convenience of a city. Walking to a store, a restaurant, the post office (yes its not all electronic mail for me), sidewalks and curbs, and more people to meet and greet on the street. If I want to get away from the city I can hit a park, oh wait cities have parks to. If I want to get a away from the city noise I can hit the library or museum. If I want to hit the beach or mountains I have to drive no matter if I live in the city or the country.

In today's reality of high fuel cost the city seems to make the most sense IMO in purely economic terms. But it is all a trade-off, some expenses are higher in cities than say suburbia or the country. The great thing is we get to make that choice today all by ourselves which allot of people in other countries can't do! For that I am grateful and THANK all the past and present Americans who served in the military to allow us the freedom to make our own choices. I am forever indebted to you and again say, THANKS!

Old 05-23-2008, 06:49 AM

7,695 posts, read 12,845,131 times
We are trying to decide that very thing for retirement.
I love having neighbors/ close shopping and restuarants ect
but I would also love having 50 acres with horses/ less
traffic & city noises . How do we have the best of both worlds?

Old 05-23-2008, 06:59 AM

2,813 posts, read 6,447,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
We are trying to decide that very thing for retirement.
I love having neighbors/ close shopping and restaurants ect
but I would also love having 50 acres with horses/ less
traffic & city noises . How do we have the best of both worlds?
One thing to ask yourself is have you ever owned a horse farm or 50 acres that need constant care and work? Would you like to travel in your retirement? Being this will be a new area for you would you have someone you trust to watch your horses and home while you travel? Do I want to work everyday in my retirement feeding horses, mending fences, moving hay, and all the maintenance things a 50 acre horse farm require? Some of the answers to those questions should help you make your decision.

Our subdivision had/has a number of transplants that came here for retirement and bought a 3000 sq ft + home and in 6 months asked themselves why did we buy such a big home with almost an acre of land to mow? They raised their 3 kids in 2000 sq ft homes.... some sold and moved into a condo community where they could come and go and really enjoy retirement.
Some stayed and are no happy transplants, they hate it here. Is it 'here' or just the choice they made when they moved here? Some truly enjoy it. So it is up to your own personal wants and needs. Good luck with your decision!

Old 05-23-2008, 11:06 AM

7,695 posts, read 12,845,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
One thing to ask yourself is have you ever owned a horse farm or 50 acres that need constant care and work? Would you like to travel in your retirement? Being this will be a new area for you would you have someone you trust to watch your horses and home while you travel? Do I want to work everyday in my retirement feeding horses, mending fences, moving hay, and all the maintenance things a 50 acre horse farm require? Some of the answers to those questions should help you make your decision.

Our subdivision had/has a number of transplants that came here for retirement and bought a 3000 sq ft + home and in 6 months asked themselves why did we buy such a big home with almost an acre of land to mow? They raised their 3 kids in 2000 sq ft homes.... some sold and moved into a condo community where they could come and go and really enjoy retirement.
Some stayed and are no happy transplants, they hate it here. Is it 'here' or just the choice they made when they moved here? Some truly enjoy it. So it is up to your own personal wants and needs. Good luck with your decision!
Exactly!! I want it all : horse farm/neighbors/great shopping/easy maintenance/freedom to travel...
Maybe live in a condo and board the horse at a stable..LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary