U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 12:36 AM

32 posts, read 79,037 times

Advertisements

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 01:38 AM

65 posts, read 147,869 times
West Raleigh is already another city......Cary.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:58 AM
VSB

167 posts, read 686,314 times
The triangle already suffers due to a lack of a clear social and cultural focal point. Dividing it into further geographical subregions would only make this worse. I vote no on west and east Raleigh.

Old 05-23-2008, 05:13 AM

2,135 posts, read 6,602,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRocks View Post
What do you think?
Why? Please elaborate. By the way, what part of Raleigh Rocks?

Old 05-23-2008, 06:05 AM

3,652 posts, read 8,943,004 times
LOL Kelley! Must be the part that's not "Blue Collar" from the sound of other posts!

Old 05-23-2008, 06:15 AM

1,284 posts, read 4,322,601 times
I haven't lived that many places. So, I may be totally off-base here. But, I think any city of size has very different areas within its borders. Most people I know in Charlotte consider the south side a different universe than the north side. In Richmond, the river divides the city into two different worlds if you ask most residents.

On the whole Raleigh east side versus west side, I would have to say that yes, the areas are very diverse. Maybe that's why so many people find Raleigh attractive because it offers a little something for everyone. To prosper and grow, doesn't an economy needs all levels of employees, from blue collar to corporate executive?

Old 05-23-2008, 06:54 AM

1,364 posts, read 5,257,377 times
Yes, divide every city up into smaller divisions based on generalized differences. That's a surefire recipe for diversity and cultural/social growth!

Wasn't it you who suggested in another thread that you "know where the educated people are"? Why not divide into Educationville and Noedjucashunville while we're at it?

Come onnnnn

Last edited by sneezecake; 05-23-2008 at 07:06 AM..

Old 05-23-2008, 09:01 PM

3,155 posts, read 9,202,625 times
Personally, I think the only purpose of dividing up a city into directional sections is for ease of finding an address and the postal system. Many cities have NE, NW, SE, SW and then the street name. Portland was one of the easiest cities I've ever had to learn because the Williamette river divided East and West and Burnside St divided North and South. It made getting around very easy. But I honestly don't think it would work in Raleigh. Portland was laid out in a grid, the parts of Raleigh that are grid like would probably all be in one quadrant near downtown. And then there are the roads in Durham that seems like someone just threw tar down over an old tobacco cart path that weaves and bobs.

Personally, I think it would be cheaper for the triangle city govs to just buy everyone a GPS rather than rename roads or divide the cities into sections.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:08 PM

3,031 posts, read 7,849,995 times
Talking Lost!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
Personally, I think the only purpose of dividing up a city into directional sections is for ease of finding an address and the postal system. Many cities have NE, NW, SE, SW and then the street name. Portland was one of the easiest cities I've ever had to learn because the Williamette river divided East and West and Burnside St divided North and South. It made getting around very easy. But I honestly don't think it would work in Raleigh. Portland was laid out in a grid, the parts of Raleigh that are grid like would probably all be in one quadrant near downtown. And then there are the roads in Durham that seems like someone just threw tar down over an old tobacco cart path that weaves and bobs.

Personally, I think it would be cheaper for the triangle city govs to just buy everyone a GPS rather than rename roads or divide the cities into sections.

Even the parts of PDX and surrounding communities not laid out in the grid are directionally named so you always know where you are. (once you understand that Portland itself is "SW"...). If you are in any of the SW suburbs, all the directionals are "SW"' same on the other side of the river in Oregon City, Sellwood, etc. (SE, NE).

Seattle is even easier because downtown Seattle is 'ground zero' and there are no directionals. But until you get that the streets run one way with the directional in front of the name (such as NE 65th St) and the Avenues run the other way with the directional in BACK of the name (such as Ravenna Ave NE), you can get pretty confused.

The first year that I lived in the Seattle area, I rented a condo at (I kid you not) the intersection of NE 134th St and 134th Ave NE. (well, I'm foggy on which exact number it was, but the two streets shared the same number!)

I never knew where I was in Raleigh. I do think directionals such as Portland uses might be helpful. But then again, renaming all the streets would probably cause more problems than it would solve.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:24 PM

1,190 posts, read 3,429,292 times
Default reply

People have said for 30 plus years that Raleigh is two distinctly different towns. ITB and OTB. I tend to agree. One is not better than the other, just absolutely, completely different. Living in town is like living in a small town. It is still very southern in many ways. Where the newer areas of Raleigh are not southern at all. I think this makes Raleigh a neat place. It is not the same town that I grew up in, but that is not a bad thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary