U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 10:22 PM

8 posts, read 18,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyns.Nest View Post
1. I love my pet! If I could clone her I would.
2. Not only do my 2 kids run wild in the yard...my husband and I join them
3. You have obviously not met enough Californians!

Oh and we have neighbors that are not only Californians and we get along great!
It's great that you take care of your pet. The latest dog my neighbors have gotten (it's their third in the past two years - they get treat dogs like disposable items) they left put in their backyard over the weekend (when we had the thunderstorms) while they were gone for days.

Running wild in your own yard is fine as long as you follow the noise guidelines of the city...trampling in other's yards and flower beds are the issue.

Every person in the neighborhood from CA has been anti-social messes...forgive me if I don't jump for joy when I don't see a CA plate at a home just sold.

If I ever meet someone from CA that isn't like this, it would be woinderful....but so far....just hasn't happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 10:29 PM

94 posts, read 284,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenme View Post
Hey Robyns.Nest, I assume you mean Santa Barbara, CA?? We moved from SB, CA in July '06. We thought it would be Raleigh, but ended up near Winston-Salem for a job. We were right off the 101 near Mission St.!!! I actually met a new friend in NC and told her how to get my house by saying 'take the 52' to exit, blah, blah. She immediately asked me if I was from CA because I said 'the' before the highway. I had no idea that was a Cali thing!

Yip...Those are my old stomping grounds...Laguna St. across from Alice Kegg Park and also Bath Str. Been here almost 18 years and love it, but like everything and place else it's not what it used to be. We'll definitly visit often though once we move.

Now when we visit we will actually enjoy the beach! No time now...Too rushed!

Maybe I'll run into you off THE 440 (sorry Francois)

Old 05-23-2008, 11:01 PM

94 posts, read 284,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenheredonemuch View Post
It's great that you take care of your pet. The latest dog my neighbors have gotten (it's their third in the past two years - they get treat dogs like disposable items) they left put in their backyard over the weekend (when we had the thunderstorms) while they were gone for days.

Running wild in your own yard is fine as long as you follow the noise guidelines of the city...trampling in other's yards and flower beds are the issue.

Every person in the neighborhood from CA has been anti-social messes...forgive me if I don't jump for joy when I don't see a CA plate at a home just sold.

If I ever meet someone from CA that isn't like this, it would be woinderful....but so far....just hasn't happened.

Well then I would say you are in for a treat...when you meet a good person from California.
...dare I say Californian...since I'm positive you have seen the worst so far!

As far as anti social...well, we are all working our rear "donkeys" off just to survive here. I beleive we are all zombies and need a little time to decompress. Chances are, if we are moving to NC it's because we realize this. Give us a little time and we will come around. When we do, you'll find we know how to make killer Sangria and Margaritas (If that's your cup of "Tea"). We enjoy a beautifull sunset. We are excited to finally have seasons. We now will have time to walk our dog...oh and ourselves. You'll warm up to us and we'll acclimate.

Hope the next person that really makes your day is from CA...

Old 05-24-2008, 12:16 AM

10,323 posts, read 18,695,687 times
Quote:
We bought a house in Feb and are moving in July. We will be moving from S.B , CA right on "THE 101"

Sorry Francois, I know this is a pet peeve of yours from previous posts! Couldn't help it
Actually, since you are talking about a California highway, no problem My sister lives in the LA area and after I've spent a few days with her, I start to think of it as "the 10" etc, too.

But, when in Rome, etc...

Quote:
Maybe I'll run into you off THE 440 (sorry Francois)
You mean THE BELTLINE! (Actually calling it 440 (or "The 440") probably pegs you from out of state, too; it's just The Beltline (NOTNOTNOTNOT The BeltWAY, mind you!) here for those who've lived here awhile). And I realize the whole "Inner/Outer Beltine" things is confusing; it confuses me, too; I just say "go east on the Beltline", etc.

Old 05-24-2008, 12:31 AM

920 posts, read 2,515,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NChomesomeday View Post
Heck yeah! I've got some hair raisin' stories about driving around Seattle with CA plates. Still I believe you are probably right that there's more anti-Yankee sentiment, if anything in the Triangle, than anti-Californian sentiment.
Francois is right. I'm a Southern Californian living in Oregon. The entire state is used as a scapegoat for everything that's wrong with Oregon. There is a lack of hospitality in Portland towards just about anyone who isn't from here. People get upset that you want to move here and ruin the good thing they think they've got going. It doesn't matter how good of a person you are or try to be friendly and nice -- the natives aren't welcoming.

My primary reason for moving to Raleigh is climate, but I'm also really looking forward to living amongst nicer folks.

Old 05-24-2008, 12:35 AM

920 posts, read 2,515,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenheredonemuch View Post
I love the variety of people that have moved to Wake Forest in the past 10 years, but I want neighbors...not people that want to change Wake Forest into California East with money they cashed out of the real estate boom.
Please don't judge all us Californians based on the example set by our village idiots you seem to have come in contact with. Not all of us want to turn our new cities into replicas of California. Otherwise, why would we leave?

Old 05-24-2008, 08:42 AM

1,495 posts, read 3,277,477 times
We're approaching our one year anniversary here in Raleigh from Orange County and everyone is just great.

Old 05-24-2008, 08:30 PM

151 posts, read 402,093 times
We moved from So Cal to Creedmoor and love it! I can't say we've ever felt anything but welcome.

Old 05-24-2008, 08:33 PM

331 posts, read 1,180,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC from MA View Post
Lori1961...what area are you moving to???
Hi, We have rented a house in North Raleigh.

Old 05-24-2008, 08:42 PM

331 posts, read 1,180,820 times
Wow, so many great responses and comments! We have heard so many great things about NC and are so ready to get out of California.

It is unfortunate that there are some people who have never met a Californian they like. I do have to say that my husband and I are some of the most laid back friendly people. We love to meet new people and enjoy life and that is what we intend to do in NC. We are ready for 4 seasons and some wild thunder storms! I am definitely ready for a slower pace of life.

See you all in 3 weeks! YEEEE HAAAAA!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary