U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 03:58 AM

9,680 posts, read 23,523,411 times

Advertisements

We lived in L.A. Central City in the 1970's and enjoyed it.

There were a lot of unusual folks there, but most were OK.

Hope you enjoy NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 08:33 PM

31 posts, read 91,384 times
Moved here from LA in July last year. Lived in Durham (renting) first and bought in Mebane. AMAZING! We love it here.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:55 PM

26 posts, read 82,159 times
Moved here from CA 6 years ago, and have helped clients move here as well. I don't find any hostility, but occasionally you will hear "From CALIFORNIA, why did you move HERE?" (hmn, pick from the list of reasons). But contrary to popular belief, CA is not "laid back" and you may find yourself on fast forward comparitively...take a breath, say "hi" and introduce yourself before you get down to business. And remember, east is AWAY from the mountains now

Old 05-25-2008, 09:26 PM

38 posts, read 133,249 times
Default Californians moving (or have moved) to North Carolina

Lori1961,

My family and I relocated from Sacramento, CA (by way of the SF Bay area) to the Triangle area four months ago. In our short time here, we can say the people here are more personable and friendly (and this is after learning we are from CA).

Good luck on your move!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori1961 View Post
I hope this is not too dumb of a question. I have heard stories all around about people who move from California being treated as outsiders. I find this hard to believe but would like to hear some thoughts and opinions.

Thanks! We are on our way in 3 weeks and CANT WAIT!!!

Old 05-26-2008, 06:53 AM

89 posts, read 275,344 times
Smile Theyre nice!

We moved from Sacramento to Grand Rapids Michigan in 2002 and now in August we are moving to Raleigh NC. We have been there and just love it, the people are so nice and friendly, never had an issue and most seem to welcome anyone from another state. I will say people in Cali arent as nice as those in NC and some other states. I was born and raised in Cali and love it but I do recall no one was ever out of their way nice, if you know what I mean. If you didnt know them, they didnt matter. Here in MI and when we visit there in Raleigh, everyone even strangers are going out of their way to talk and be friendly. Its a nice change!

Old 05-26-2008, 11:04 PM

108 posts, read 450,114 times
I am from CA and I love it and the people there, just like I love it here.

Early on I did make one mistake. I marveled out loud about how unbelieveably inexpensive the real estate was in Raleigh in comparison to coastal CA.

Don't do that and you'll be fine.

BTW, the real estate prices have gone up here in the last few years!

Old 05-28-2008, 12:42 PM

89 posts, read 275,344 times
Its kinda funny actually. I was born and raised til age 12 in southern cali and my parents did say "the pch" or "the 101" but we moved north to sacramento and everyone there and in the bay area just say "80" or "I 5". I think its a territory thing. However, here in michigan they call pepsi or coke or dr pepper "pop" or worse "sody pop" its just creepy and weird! I feel like I stepped back in a time machine to the 50s. They think going to walmart and buying a purse is like one of us normal big city people buying a Louis Vuitton and getting happy about it lol IM NOT KIDDING! *SIGH* August 30th's move to raleigh cant come soon enough!

Old 05-28-2008, 02:02 PM

3,031 posts, read 8,161,565 times
"Pop" or "soda" is better than "tonic"....

Old 05-28-2008, 02:09 PM

135 posts, read 356,620 times
I was born and raised in Sacramento, Ca and will be relocating to Raleigh in August/Sept. Most of this stuff just makes me laugh. I don't call highways "The 80" or even "hwy 80", and I've never heard of Nor Cal people disliking So Cal people or vice versa. I'm glad to hear everyone who has moved there is enjoying it. I can't sleep at night wondering if I'll fit in, or if I'll find a safe place for my family.
When I moved to New Orleans, everyone wondered why I wasn't blonde and tan. HaHa. They were dissapointed to learn that I didn't mingle with movie stars, have never surfed and didn't say, "like, totally."

btw- not everyone is moving there for the low housing cost. from what i can tell, we'll be paying about the same in rent as we do here but my husband will get paid less. go figure.

Old 05-28-2008, 02:22 PM

153 posts, read 412,301 times
I was born and raised near Sacramento, and then moved to OC in my 20's. I've been in NC 3yrs. Yes, in LA, I thought it was strange, but I went along with the locals and said "the 405", "the 5", etc. In N Cal, I had never heard that...and I called everything a highway and not a freeway (which I think they do here too). Of course, nothing around here compares to an LA freeway! Love it here by the way!!!

And...I was definitely aware of the N Cal/S Cal rivalry...I can't believe anyone from there isn't. They couldn't be more opposite. My brother detested S Cal. I think its stems from the age old water battles, the pickup truck vs. BMW crowds, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary