U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2008, 10:13 AM

240 posts, read 1,193,980 times

Advertisements

I am looking for some fun ways to celebrate my mom's birthday. She will be 58 this year and in the past we have always gone out to dinner. This year I would like to do something different. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 10:49 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,213,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorpe View Post
I am looking for some fun ways to celebrate my mom's birthday. She will be 58 this year and in the past we have always gone out to dinner. This year I would like to do something different. Any suggestions?
Well seeing that means she was born in the 50's...why not look for a place (or do your own) that puts her back to her youth - sock hop, drive-in, the "beatles" time, things like that - hire a dj or something and rent out a small hall (church hall) with maybe a field and get a screen that can play a dvd or something and sit outside and watch the movie. (Sorry not sure how to suggest this idea - but I hope I made it somewhat understandable LOL)

Old 05-23-2008, 11:41 AM

250 posts, read 1,133,958 times
If the Beatles are her thing, there is a production of Rain at the Performing Arts Center in Raleigh from November 4 -9. You could get her tickets to that.

Or, if she's into convenience when it comes to making dinner, take her to a some place like Dinner Afare where you can make up to 12 meals to take home, freeze and reheat later. It's lots of fun. You actually get to prepare the meals yourself, with all the ingredients and measuring devices right there at your fingertips.

If she's the nostaglic but modern type of gal, why not purchase one of those digital picture frames and load it with tons of pictures of family and friends.

What does she like to do? Find a way to incorporate whatever it is she likes to do into a birthday activity.

Just a few random thoughts...

Old 05-23-2008, 01:53 PM

245 posts, read 727,957 times
Hmmmm....
It's hard to say without knowing your mom or the size of the group, but some ideas that might work include:

1. tickets to a show at Koka Booth. There's tables you can reserve to eat at, or you could hit a local restaurant and then go. Great atmosphere, great place!
2. Rent a boat and take her out on a cruise on Jordan Lake
3. I once had someone treat me to a day at a spa, then pick me up and take me out to dinner and a show. I'm kind of the crunchy, no-makeup type, so this was out of character, but boy, I felt like a million bucks.
4. A group lesson to learn a new skill..... a dance, tennis, golf, horseback riding?!
5. Dinner at a more unusual type of place, like Brazilian, a Mongolian bar-b-que, or the Melting Pot
6. family photo session, and if outside, book a catered bar-b-que to follow

Old 05-28-2008, 08:22 AM

240 posts, read 1,193,980 times
Thank you for all of the suggestions!

Old 05-28-2008, 08:58 AM

997 posts, read 4,160,074 times
Duke Gardens. Beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary