U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 10:52 AM

112 posts, read 422,924 times

Advertisements

I'm a somewhat-lapsed violin and viola player who would like to start playing again more regularly. Are there any community orchestras around, preferably near Durham? I used to play quite a bit, but then I had kids. I'd love to find a group that I could audition for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 11:00 AM

3,021 posts, read 9,919,831 times
Check out this old thread:
Community music groups?
I don't think it shows all of the community orchestras in the area, but it's a good start.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:04 AM

Thanks -- that was the only thread I'd seen when I searched, but only one of those groups has string instruments. It could be that the DSO is my only option, but I was hoping for something less-professional while I get my fingers back. Thanks!

Old 05-23-2008, 11:17 AM

Well, there might be something else out there for you that we just don't know about ... yet.

One of the groups that I don't think was mentioned in that old thread is the Chapel Hill Philharmonia. They have a string section. Not Durham, but close!
Chapel Hill Philharmonia - The Chapel Hill Philharmonia

I know a bit more about the classical voice community here (I don't sing anymore myself, but one of my girlfriends does). The website for Classical Voice NC has an enormous listing of musical groups all over NC. Yes, there are choral groups on this list, but also orchestras and symphonies and community bands. There's a lot to sort through, but you might find what you're looking for.
Classical Voice of North Carolina

Old 05-23-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
Well, there might be something else out there for you that we just don't know about ... yet.

One of the groups that I don't think was mentioned in that old thread is the Chapel Hill Philharmonia. They have a string section. Not Durham, but close!
Chapel Hill Philharmonia - The Chapel Hill Philharmonia

I know a bit more about the classical voice community here (I don't sing anymore myself, but one of my girlfriends does). The website for Classical Voice NC has an enormous listing of musical groups all over NC. Yes, there are choral groups on this list, but also orchestras and symphonies and community bands. There's a lot to sort through, but you might find what you're looking for.
Classical Voice of North Carolina
Wow, thank you! The Chapel Hill group sounds right up my alley.

I'll be busy for days with the second link. I really appreciate it!

Old 05-23-2008, 11:33 AM

Okay, I've found my group: the Really Terrible Orchestra of the Triangle.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:38 AM

That's fabulous!!!! Hey, if they're looking for a flautist, I'm in!

Old 05-23-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
That's fabulous!!!! Hey, if they're looking for a flautist, I'm in!
Just make sure you're not too good. It reminds me of one year in high school orchestra, when I played the string bass just for fun. Can't have been much fun for anyone listening, but I sure enjoyed it.

(Do you really play flute? My daughter wants to learn and I have on my to-do list: "Find flute teacher.")

Old 05-23-2008, 12:09 PM

Yes, I played the flute ... in another lifetime! Seriously, I played for 8 years. Had to quit about a decade ago because of health reasons, but I'm sloooowly starting to pick it back up again. I don't like playing solo, though (I prefer collaborative efforts), so a teensy little part of me has thought about looking into community orchestras & bands, but not yet. I need to work a bit more on, say, my embouchure and staying in tune and all that jazz.

I know thre are some flute teachers around Durham, but I can't suggest any based on personal experience. I should probably look into that, too!

Old 05-23-2008, 01:53 PM

836 posts, read 3,094,136 times
There is also the Raleigh Civic Symphony :Raleigh Civic Symphony & Chamber Orchestra

And the Raleigh Symphony Orchestra: North Carolina Symphony Orchestra classical music musicians raleigh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary