U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 03:24 PM

31,603 posts, read 55,320,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezed out View Post
Thanks so much everyone for all the quick responses. I just want to clarify one thing -- if you even know--- if your subdivision or neighborhood, has a community pool you are still allowed to have a private one if you have the room for it? A pool is not mandatory for me, but I would like the option and for it to be my decision if I want one or not, not an HOA.
Thanks

As others have said, the recorded covenants for the subdivision will tell you.
In Wake County, the recorded covenants are all accessible on line from the Wake County Recorder's office website.

Books! Online Records Search
Enter the Subdivision name as "Grantee."
Select "'Firm" as "Grantee Type."

This will bring up all documents, including plat maps with details like easements which may limit pool placement for the specific lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 03:45 PM

1,841 posts, read 4,093,822 times
There are trampolines and playsets all over my neighborhood. Our HOA guidelines state that a playset should "not be visible from the street when standing directly in front of the house".
Our HOA guidelines prohibit above-ground pools of an installed type, a "kiddie" type pool is fine. The HOA will consider an application for an in-ground pool on a case-by-case basis.
Private pools are a rarity here. Most folks are just fine with a community pool, and I'm sure that many people would tell you that their community pool is the hub of their social life in the summer. Transplants tend to make friends quickly at the community pool, too-we moved here in May 5 years ago and 2 weeks into the pool season we had made MANY new friends.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:11 PM

108 posts, read 449,647 times
I posted several months ago about getting a trampoline in my yard. Please search for the posts. based on the great information I have elected NOT to put a trampoline in my yard.
Some very kind people including medical professionals shared great information. Please take a look before making up your mind about a trampoline.

I had all ready made up my mind about a pool in our yard, Drowning is a leading cause if death in children between 2 and 6.

I'm not trying to be negative or rain on your parade but I think it's worth researching all the information available before making a very important decision like this.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:26 PM

30 posts, read 95,155 times
We put an inground pool in over the winter and couldn't be happier. There is a neighborhood pool, but it is always crowded and loud. I can't tell you how nice it is to sit outside an watch the kids play or get in a play with my kids. I think it was worth every penny we spent. We spent the weekend out of town and couldn't wait to get home and play in our own backyard.

We had to submit the plans to the HOA, but we were within the rules, so no worries there.

PM me for pictures if you are interested.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:56 PM

4,246 posts, read 7,644,519 times
The OP might not have taken into consideration that she's moving from a very affluent area to area with a range of income levels.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:04 PM

1,364 posts, read 5,447,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
The OP might not have taken into consideration that she's moving from a very affluent area to area with a range of income levels.
I really dont think it has anything to do with income levels - some areas it's just expected that you have pools, and others its just not. It doesn't even make a ton of sense sometimes, as with the hot summers here I'd think it'd be obvious - but look around flying into Houston or Dallas, areas with a range of income levels but certainly an abundance of "starter" level homes and there are pools everywhere - look around flying into RDU and you see no such thing.

What srhudson06 said is absolutely spot on - they put in the pool for their own enjoyment and are getting that out of it - you can't really expect to add any value to the home for the majority of buyers with an in-ground pool, but if you view it as a consumable rather than an investment, then go for it!

Old 05-27-2008, 01:22 PM

2,547 posts, read 6,150,924 times
Look at the average temperature charts for Raleigh versus Houston and I think you'll see why they tend to have pools and we do not:

Average Weather for Houston, TX - Temperature and Precipitation

Average Weather for Raleigh, NC - Temperature and Precipitation

Winterizing here takes a lot more effort. The season is much, much shorter, etc. My neighborhood pool is still quite cold right now.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:45 PM

3,031 posts, read 8,151,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
Look at the average temperature charts for Raleigh versus Houston and I think you'll see why they tend to have pools and we do not:

Average Weather for Houston, TX - Temperature and Precipitation

Average Weather for Raleigh, NC - Temperature and Precipitation

Winterizing here takes a lot more effort. The season is much, much shorter, etc. My neighborhood pool is still quite cold right now.
The number of homes with in-ground pools in my town here in MA continues to amaze me---the season is VERY short, though most families "open" their pool well before Memorial Day and close it well after Labor Day. They are all heated so perhaps that makes the difference?

When we lived in NoVa, nearly all the subdivisions had community pools and it did become a social hub. I enjoyed it immensely, particularly with small children. The swim teams were popular, with each community pool having its own. Around here, towns have their own teams with some towns having a town-wide pool and some having just a swim pond (though some ponds are very nice, w/ boating, hosting the annual "mile swim" race, etc.). My town has a small pond which is pretty clean, amazingly enough. However, most of the kids who swim the winter swim league, belong to one of the many country clubs around here and those clubs all square off against each other for swim season as well. That's a world apart from me!

So to bring it back ontopic, I"m amazed there aren't more backyard OR subdivisions w/ pools in the Triangle area. Backyard pools weren't that big in VA but the community pool was a staple. And here in MA, it's a lot of personal inground pools.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:45 PM

3,021 posts, read 9,921,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
Which is why a lot of pool owners have pool heaters ... even the ones in Texas. Besides, I seriously doubt that the pool season is that much shorter here than it is in Dallas.

My parents live in an area where the weather is slightly colder than it is here in the Triangle. They keep their pool open for about 6 months out of the year. I can easily see that happening here with a little help from a pool heater & a thermal blanket for the first and last month of the swimming season.

Even though I've spent a number of summers enjoying my parents' pool while growing up, I would not choose to have a swimming pool at my own house. Swimming pools require a lot of work and maintanence, which takes a lot of time and money. My mother adores the water & swimming in her own pool every day brings her such joy that, in her opinion, it was a worthwhile investment. But I feel differently. I burn far more easily than my mother, so I don't enjoy spending a lot of time out by the pool. And I have already spent so many hours of my life scooping out leaves and bugs and cleaning frogs out of the filter and scrubbing the stains out of the gunnite and ... ugh. No thanks. I don't love swimming enough to deal with all of that. I suspect that a lot of people feel the same way and would far rather go to a community pool - a pool they don't have to maintain - than to deal with the hassle of pool ownership.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:39 AM

50 posts, read 172,597 times
Thanks all.... Whether I want a pool or not, is not really the issue. I understand all the pros and cons with it. I have one here in NY and it can be a real pain! I really just wanted to know if it was an option there. If I own a house, I don't want someone telling me that I can or cannot install a pool. That was my issue. Looks like it's a case by case basis. Thanks again, guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it -- firt I have to find the house! lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary