U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 08:47 PM

7,696 posts, read 12,861,929 times

Advertisements

My husband put those rocks in planting beds around our pool.
Hate them..hate them...hate them...
especially when I step on the ones that get all over the pool deck.
I told him!!! but do they ever listen to us !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 10:09 PM

2,270 posts, read 8,108,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_newcomer View Post
OK, I decided that the rocks were just plain buggin' me, and that I wanted them out of here so that I could spread cloth and barkmulch. So, I'm moving the rocks, a bucket at a time, to the back fence line (up a hill that gets steeper with each bucket load), and dumping them between a very thick monsterous shrub and the fence.

What I have discovered so far:

1. the shrub isn't "mine" -- a long time ago it pushed through from the other side of the fence! Other than a pushed aside board, the fence is fine, and I'm glad to have the dense shrubbery!

2. Underneath the white rocks there are pieces of flagstone! I'm thinking "homeowner #1, lazy homeowner #2..."

3. There is also a layer of geocloth: the weeds were growing in the pockets of decayed matter between the rocks. Hooray!

One of the many advantages of buying an "older" home: you get to play "domestic archeologist!"
I've had a similar domestic archeologist program around my mailbox! We also had the white rocks, and it was miserable. It wasn't just the aesthetics, it was the fact that our house is very close to the bus stop and every time the junior high bus let kids out they'd stop at our driveway, drop their bags, and start picking up stones and throwing them at each other.

I moved the rocks under our back deck.

As I was re-doing the area though, I discovered that the previous owners of our house had built a two-deep wall of paving stones under the ground around the mailbox. I wound up with enough paving stones to make a border around a larger area, but they wouldn't have been my first choice if I were choosing a border. I just couldn't figure out what to do with those either!

(The moral of my story is: don't put the rocks anywhere where junior high kids can get to them.)

Old 05-25-2008, 07:22 AM

492 posts, read 1,917,312 times
Default more domestic archeology!

That reminds me of another domestic archaeology find:

when I trimmed back the rather lush juniper groundcover out front, I found mysterious borders (at least I think they were borders, for long-lost flower beds?) of red bricks set flush in the ground!

I pulled them out, and now have a pile of about 50 red bricks stacked by the house. I have no idea what I'll do with those!

Old 05-25-2008, 07:52 AM

1,917 posts, read 4,229,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBoy View Post
Amazing what the word "FREE" will do in an ad. Yes, CL is a good place to give it a shot. But I would say collect the rocks and place them in a pile in an accessible area. If they're not dug out, I figure anyone coming over may sense you're trying to enlist free labor too.

That is part of the point most people advertise these types of things on Craigslist....it is a normal occurance for ads for free wooden decks (you take apart), free bushes (you dig up)...etc....that way both parties are getting something.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:38 AM

168 posts, read 284,240 times
Quote:
I pulled them out, and now have a pile of about 50 red bricks stacked by the house. I have no idea what I'll do with those!

We had a stack of bricks that the previous owner had left. I put them on freecycle and they were gone within 24 hours.

Old 05-25-2008, 01:01 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,410,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
....it is a normal occurance for ads for free wooden decks (you take apart), free bushes (you dig up)...etc....that way both parties are getting something.
I can totally understand bushes and decks since taking apart a deck helps one put it back together again. But a bunch of rocks in the ground... if someone is willing to go about doing that, I've got a ton of rocks in our driveway I'll give free to anyone who wants to back their truck in the driveway, rake or dig them up, and haul'em away. It's a pain to dig up rocks, however. Just not worth it to me. But if it were successful, I guess it might be worth a try. I'll post something this week. Now, bushes on the other hand, yes, leave'm in the ground until someone digs them up so they have a better chance of transplantation. I'd rather dig them up myself unless the owner knows how to ball roots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
My husband put those rocks in planting beds around our pool. Hate them..hate them...hate them... especially when I step on the ones that get all over the pool deck. I told him!!! but do they ever listen to us!!
Yes, some do. I listen to my significant other all the time, and if she thought it was dumb to put rocks in places where it could cause her harm, I wouldn't place them there. I imagine placing the rocks there are simply for maintenance convenience. But, yes, they're a hassle.
Quote:
Doesn't seem like much, you could start yourself the beginnings of deck, patio, barbecue or even a planter. Although fifty would only be the beginning, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary