U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 07:30 AM

492 posts, read 1,916,150 times

Advertisements

One of the previous owners of my house had a few, uhm, peculiar landscaping ideas.

At the foot of the deck stairs, they made a 4'x4' area, and filled it with bright white landscaping rocks. It's definitely out of place in the landscape "design" -- the area would be better filled/covered with pine bark. And weeds are growing up in the rocks, so the area need to be cleared, covered with landscape fabric, and recovered with bark.

So I have to get rid of the rocks, bucketful by bucketful. How? Where? I could sneak 'em, a bucket a week, into my trash bin (ignoring the "no rocks" rule). That would take all summer. Or I could spread them in the crawlspace, but that might look suspicious to future owners/prospective owners.

So how do I get rid of rocks? (and for that matter, excess dirt -- I have to level/dig out the swing path of the fence gate.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 07:48 AM

2,135 posts, read 6,833,702 times
Put an add on Craigslist in the free section!

BYOS - Bring Your Own Shovel

Old 05-24-2008, 08:22 AM

3,155 posts, read 9,579,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtoNC! View Post
Put an add on Craigslist in the free section!

BYOS - Bring Your Own Shovel
Exactly what I was thinking! I plan to add some rocks to my landscape, but not white. Sorry, I like the brown tones better. Plus that's next summer's project. But I bet you can get rid them on Craigslist, especially if they are free.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:56 AM

12 posts, read 37,701 times
Hey
That is a great question...
I found many 'boulders' in my yard while doing landscaping over the last year. Cary waste won't pick them up and the waste stations (where you take old lawn furniture, etc) won't take them either.
If anyone knows how to get rid of these things, please let us know.
thanks

Old 05-24-2008, 11:06 AM

8,264 posts, read 21,806,347 times
I'd probably try to freecycle them to get rid of them. I have them in my yard too, but someone put them all over a flower bed around the foundation of the house in the back. Over time, they've worked themselves down into the soil and I cannot plant a thing there! It's a serious pain! I can't dig and also can't use a tiller or an edger there because they spit rocks out all over the place!

If I ever get around to digging them out, I'll probably just bury them at the way back of the yard in a natural area or something.

Old 05-24-2008, 01:54 PM

7,695 posts, read 12,841,965 times
Any thing we have ever wanted to get rid of ( sell or free) is gone within a week with
CraigsList. ( Well except for a few loser boyfriends) LOL

Old 05-24-2008, 03:02 PM

492 posts, read 1,916,150 times
Default update...

OK, I decided that the rocks were just plain buggin' me, and that I wanted them out of here so that I could spread cloth and barkmulch. So, I'm moving the rocks, a bucket at a time, to the back fence line (up a hill that gets steeper with each bucket load), and dumping them between a very thick monsterous shrub and the fence.

What I have discovered so far:

1. the shrub isn't "mine" -- a long time ago it pushed through from the other side of the fence! Other than a pushed aside board, the fence is fine, and I'm glad to have the dense shrubbery!

2. Underneath the white rocks there are pieces of flagstone! I'm thinking "homeowner #1, lazy homeowner #2..."

3. There is also a layer of geocloth: the weeds were growing in the pockets of decayed matter between the rocks. Hooray!

One of the many advantages of buying an "older" home: you get to play "domestic archeologist!"

Old 05-24-2008, 03:10 PM

1,917 posts, read 4,225,024 times
I agree with Craigslist or Freecycle...get rid of your junk will others do the work!

Old 05-24-2008, 03:33 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,407,518 times
Amazing what the word "FREE" will do in an ad. Yes, CL is a good place to give it a shot. But I would say collect the rocks and place them in a pile in an accessible area. If they're not dug out, I figure anyone coming over may sense you're trying to enlist free labor too.

Although, if you have some drainage issues around the house and need to divert water, at least you have some rocks now to use around some PVC should you plan to perform such a job.

Old 05-24-2008, 04:15 PM

2,932 posts, read 6,714,982 times
Lol who knows why people try to change our landscape to look like california or the desert southwest. I like the trees and earthy tones of mulch etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary