U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 09:21 PM

3,744 posts, read 9,439,107 times

Advertisements

We're closing on our town home in Stone Creek on Friday. We fell in love with the area the first time we saw it. It looks like a little European Village, like a well protected enclave with easy access to multiple shops, restaurants etc. There will be a total of 98 homes when complete. There are about 8-10 more homes left to built, to be completed in the Fall. We were lucky to find a re-sale. Actually, when we looked, they were 3 re-sales and all sold rather quickly.

Old 05-25-2008, 06:04 AM

4,597 posts, read 10,227,249 times
Don't you think, perhaps, looking back on places where you have lived, and structures you have called 'home,' there has always been some trade-off?

I know we have opted for a longer drive in trade for a view of some water and privacy, only the next time we moved, to settle for a nice neighborhood in exchange for easier convenience, less driving time to work. I have loved the kitchen in one place, made-do with the family room, only to have the reverse in another place.

All along the way, I have made mental note of what I did really, really like about each place, and I suppose if I ever custom-build a home for myself, I'd try to incorporate as much of those things into the location, home, and grounds, as what I could. You know, even people I know who have done just that, still say, at some point, 'if I could do it again. . .'

Looking at your list, WRGuy, I'd say maybe try prioritizing your wants/needs/likes/dislikes. What is the ONE thing you absoluely must have? Then go from there, down to the least criticial. That may help you with a list that strikes you as "not asking for much."

Good luck. Have fun with your search. Keep an open mind.

Old 05-25-2008, 06:15 AM

492 posts, read 1,916,150 times
Ditto what RDSLOTS said: this is pretty standard project management stuff.

Take your list and divide it into "MUSTS" and "WANTS". Then prioritize your "WANTS" list.

Viable properties then satisfy everything on the MUST list; the best of these satisfies the largest number of WANTS as well.

It's a constrained optimization problem...

Old 05-25-2008, 06:26 AM

245 posts, read 727,847 times
I would have posted this link when I mentioned Stone Creek Village, but I can't remember whether or not it's against community rules. For now, I'll go with the theory that links to developments are OK, MLS #s aren't. Centex Homes - Stone Creek Village neighborhood in Cary NC
I don't think the picture does it justice. It's very pretty over there. I'm a big walker/jogger, and I can definitely vouch for the walkability of the area.

I also love the condos on Fred Fletcher Park in Raleigh. They're about 1/2 mile or so from Cameron Village, maybe 1.5 miles from the heart of downtown... but technically this would then be city living. Plus, I've never seen any actual units, I just think it's a beautiful location.

Old 05-25-2008, 06:49 AM

RDSLOTS has provided excellent advice. Ceili723, i recall you were seriously considering Providence Place a while back. We had actually contracted on a new home but found Stone Creek and cancelled. What made you decide against it?

Old 05-25-2008, 06:53 AM

103 posts, read 68,882 times
Default I'm Off

Okay all,

I am off for a day of home hunting. Thanks for all your suggestions. Please keep them coming and if anyone has any thoughts on what was already suggested, please share the info. The best way to learn the pro's and con's is to hear from people that have actually been to some of these communities.

I will report back later with what I find, both good and bad..........hopefully more good than bad.

Enjoy the great weather today!!!

Old 05-25-2008, 10:23 AM

1,489 posts, read 5,049,906 times
I'm confused about the private lot, and townhome community together in one. To answer your question, yes you are asking too much. I think you can get close to what you want, but you will have to make some sacrifices.

Old 05-25-2008, 04:52 PM

Default I Am Back For My Day Of Discovery

Thanks to all the suggestions so far and for the DM's about some of the places to check out. This is what I found in my travels:

Cary Park - Way to congested. Some shopping, but not much and not an easy walk from many homes. I will pass on this.

Amberly - Some really, really nice townhomes in the $500's range. They were incredible inside with great exterior. Unfortunately, absolutely no yard, backing right up to other homes being built and a big no no no no on the playground/activity center right near by. Sorry kiddies, but I would rather not be listening to you or tripping over your toys.

Southpoint area - Real nice area with lots of shopping and dining. However, tax rate much too high.

Stone Creek Village - WOW!!! I spent a lot of time here looking around the townhomes and the shops. Even ate at a place called Red Bowl. The bowls are not red though.......... I received the most DM's on Stone Creek, as well as the posts. I loved the fact that there is not a playground or pool. Playground & pools = KIDS!!!! I loved the pond and benches. Great feel when inside the development. Quiet and peaceful. I was able to see some townhomes partially built. I am really impressed with the framing construction, the nice architectural shingles and they have a really good house wrap. The house wrap is very thick and sort of ribbed. It was impossible to tear. It should really keep the elements out and allow for proper airflow. The interiors knocked my socks off. Very well done, lots of light and great details. I could really get into the great shops and dining so close and it looks like they are going to continue the development across Davis Drive. I saw signs over there saying more shops. I got over there on an excellent walking trail. Lots of trails and sidewalks in the area.

So far, the leader by a mile is Stone Creek. So, if anyone has any other places sort of like this, please let me know. I would like to do more comparision. Either townhomes or single family homes where the landscaping is included in the HOA fee.

Thanks to all. It was a fantastic day today. Happy Memorial Day tomorrow.

Old 05-25-2008, 06:21 PM

WRG - that is exactly why we just purchased there. It is everything we wanted as well. Just to let you know that there ARE SOME kids living in the community. As a matter of fact, a couple with 2 children just bought the townhome across the street from us. We'll be there permanently on Friday! Can't wait.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
WRG - that is exactly why we just purchased there. It is everything we wanted as well. Just to let you know that there ARE SOME kids living in the community. As a matter of fact, a couple with 2 children just bought the townhome across the street from us. We'll be there permanently on Friday! Can't wait.

SOME kids is okay, but swarms of screaming memees is not. It seemed extremely quiet. Some people were out working in their yards and all were very friendly. I would have to decide between very private backyards (with the fencing and extensive landscaping they have ) and a more visible backyard, but on the water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary