U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 08:23 AM

426 posts, read 1,317,509 times

Advertisements

Dh was outside, otherwise we probably would not have opened the door.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:27 AM

10,716 posts, read 31,030,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grawburg View Post
I for one don't let them in. If someone came up and asked for a drink I would get them one (Southern hospitality) but I wouldn't let them in the house.

I could have blown them off and ignored them (again, they saw me sitting there), but I don't want to come out the next day to slashed tires or something.

Something that I have done to other solicitors on the street is ask them how old their children are and then ask them again a couple minutes later and they almost always get it wrong

This is exactly the kind of thing that people use to case a house to set up a home invasion later on. If its someone I don't know, I don't open the door, pure and simple.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:28 AM

1,117 posts, read 1,835,137 times
This goes on across the country. It's a scam.

Impressionable young kids walk neighborhoods every day doing this, while the real moneymakers are the scam artists who run the operation.

The product is mainly water and they use a microfiber rag to do the cleaning. Microfiber will clean anything, really...and the product is usually demonstrated as "green" by having one of them spray it into their mouth to show it's not toxic. In other words, it's water.

Don't let them in the home, ever. They crane their necks to see inside.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:24 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,043,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TailoredMaid View Post
This goes on across the country. It's a scam.

Impressionable young kids walk neighborhoods every day doing this, while the real moneymakers are the scam artists who run the operation.

The product is mainly water and they use a microfiber rag to do the cleaning. Microfiber will clean anything, really...and the product is usually demonstrated as "green" by having one of them spray it into their mouth to show it's not toxic. In other words, it's water.

When I come home, I always close the garage door immediately. It hasn't happened lately, but I've been approached by kids and the magazine selling scam - as I get out of my car ! Scary !
I never ever open the door to strangers. I don't care if they see me or not. People think they have to be polite - you do not have to open your door ! I've been known to put my hand to my throat and mouth "I'm sick."

Our neighborhood is a non soliciting neighborhood with posted signs at all entrances - but we still get scammers once in a while.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:32 AM

151 posts, read 401,178 times
The reason they ask for a drink is that they are hoping you leave the door open while you get it, so they can see it inside. They also might take the opportunity to follow you inside. If you ever do get someone a drink, make sure you close and lock the door behind you.

Last edited by KFran; 05-25-2008 at 12:29 PM..

Old 05-25-2008, 12:35 PM

151 posts, read 401,178 times
Do a search on 'confidence scheme' and you will find articles about police warning people about this. Especially if there are two people. First they try to get in the house by the drink lure, then one person distracts the home owner while the other person steals their stuff.

Not sure if I can post articles here, but look at this recent one from the glandale news press.

Glendale News Press > Archives > Publicsafety > Police warn of robbery scams

Old 05-25-2008, 01:40 PM

3,155 posts, read 9,579,487 times
Here in SW Durham we had a young guy come by last week selling this cleaner. My hubby works from home, so when he heard me go to the door he came to check on me. We had these sort of "sales" people all the time in Portland and I did not feel like dealing with him so my hubby let the kid do his spill while I went back inside. The kid did stay on the bottom step of my porch the whole time I was out there. He did ask for water but hubby closed the door when he came inside to get the water.

The funny thing is, the last time I remember being hit by the door to door cleaner sales man was back when Daddy Bush was in office and the economy was in the toilet, just like now. I guess we all need to be prepared for more of these "desparate" techniques until we can get someone in office that can clean up the current mess. Or maybe that $42.00 bottle of cleaner will take care of the current administration & it's ills!!! LOL! I wish it were that easy.

Old 05-25-2008, 03:01 PM

140 posts, read 386,604 times
Sorry PDXMom but I don't think who is in office will make one bit of difference to these scammers. They seem to come out about this time every year -- the magazine sellers, the kids selling to win prizes, the cleaning supply sellers, etc, etc. I've gotten some at my house every year since we've been here -- including the mid-90's when everything was "perfect" (at least according to some)

Old 05-25-2008, 04:44 PM

478 posts, read 1,849,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TailoredMaid View Post

The girls went on and on about my husband's car parked in our drive (no room in garage for anything). Ugh.

They opened the bottle and licked the spray unit to prove to me it is non-toxic. However, if one reads the actual bottle, it says:

'Do not take internally. If swallowed, drink 2-3 glasses of milk or water and contact physician or poison control center immediately.'

It goes on to say it is a skin irritant, you have to wear rubber gloves. Avoid eye contact and it also may harm painted or varnished surfaces, etc.

Not exactly 'safe'.

They had the most enthusiastic sales routine I've ever seen.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:48 PM

1 posts, read 15,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grawburg View Post
So two girls saying that they were in a rehab program for single mothers to get them sales skills and they're selling bottles of cleaner for $40 a pop here in Cary?!!?? Anyone else see them or people selling the same stuff? Just wondered if they were legit.
Saw a young gentleman showed ID that he was from Tennesee. Same thing $40 a pop in Clayton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary