U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 12:20 AM

10,323 posts, read 18,668,197 times

Advertisements

All of these tales reminded me of the sad, sad, incident that happened in Raleigh about...15?...years ago (somewhere near the Mini-City area, even before it went as downhill as it is now). Two teenaged boys went to an older couple's door claiming to be collecting for church, or something, the husband was napping upstairs and the wife was working in the kitchen; somehow either she let them in or they forced their way inside, and killed them both before robbing them

This certainly is NOT a common occurrence here, but I think of it often as it was all over the news...early 90s, I believe?

Old 05-26-2008, 02:25 AM

9,680 posts, read 23,492,142 times
I think this is a good lesson to all.

Do not let strangers in your home regardless of who they purport to be. If someone asks for help, tell them through the door to sit outside until the police arrive and call your local PD or sheriff.

I guess my son has no such risk since he has a .40 Glock from when he lived in PA.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:53 AM

10,716 posts, read 31,041,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
All of these tales reminded me of the sad, sad, incident that happened in Raleigh about...15?...years ago (somewhere near the Mini-City area, even before it went as downhill as it is now). Two teenaged boys went to an older couple's door claiming to be collecting for church, or something, the husband was napping upstairs and the wife was working in the kitchen; somehow either she let them in or they forced their way inside, and killed them both before robbing them

This certainly is NOT a common occurrence here, but I think of it often as it was all over the news...early 90s, I believe?
I saw an eye opening program about home invasions and they showed a similar tale. They pointed out that the first thing people do before they brake into your home is to ring the doorbell, if someone answers, they come up with an excuse to get inside and look around.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:15 PM

29,462 posts, read 33,710,678 times
I am familiar with and to normal thinking it is a scam. They get very little money and play on your sympathy. Sometimes working for a college scholarship. I had one tell me somethings about his background and I knew it was a scam I asked him if he knew someone at the school he graduated from and he said no. I knew if he didn't know his principal or any of the administrators etc he was a scam. Plus I doubt if he could spell college ten times within a minute. Another time I had kids come to the door and say they were selling for the local high school. I knew that was a scam and called the police.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:26 PM

3,155 posts, read 9,581,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I saw an eye opening program about home invasions and they showed a similar tale. They pointed out that the first thing people do before they brake into your home is to ring the doorbell, if someone answers, they come up with an excuse to get inside and look around.
In our old neighborhood in Portland there was an incident where someone came door to door selling something and a woman who lived by herself was robbed and brutalized. My friend had the idea of putting a sign on the door that simply said "We do not open the door to strangers so please do not ring." A stranger rang her door after that and she just pointed to the sign, turned off the porch light, and let her dog out back to bark at the guy through the fence. That was the last one she got.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:56 PM

10,716 posts, read 31,041,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
In our old neighborhood in Portland there was an incident where someone came door to door selling something and a woman who lived by herself was robbed and brutalized. My friend had the idea of putting a sign on the door that simply said "We do not open the door to strangers so please do not ring." A stranger rang her door after that and she just pointed to the sign, turned off the porch light, and let her dog out back to bark at the guy through the fence. That was the last one she got.
I have thought about doing the same thing. I have a plotter that will cut out vynle letters so I could print it up and put it on the door. I don't even want to be bothered with someone.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:27 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,332,037 times
I had a man & a woman come to my door. I didnt answer it though. They hit up my neighbors house and said they needed $25 so they could leave the state, something about a scholarship or something (not sure exactly). Anyway, when I didnt answer my door, they assumed I wasn't home.

They tried to break in my office.

Either way, they are going to try to get $ from you or possibly break into your house if you dont answer. I never answer my door but I watch them to make sure they leave. If not, I call the police immediately.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:55 AM

4,597 posts, read 10,230,213 times
Such a shame when you consider how, not that long ago, most of us would not have hesitated to offer help to someone. I used to stop if a vehicle was broken down on the side of the road, and open the door to strangers. As times have changed, and I have gotten older, NOT anymore. One just never knows.

It makes my husband nervous, for me, when he considers my general habit of going to the car, when shopping it, unlocking it, getting in and then not immediately locking the doors behind me. He has a good point, and I have worked on being more conscientious, even at the grocery stores. Sad.

We have seen door-to-door solicitations here where we live -- a few claiming to be HS students raising money for *whatever* but a word of caution from a former HS teacher. Schools do not advocate, and generally do not sanction, students going door-to-door to make sales calls. Not safe for them, either. Two kids showed up with magazine sales; another at a different time raising money to go to college; two young people selling foundation plants (that struck me as totally odd).

I may go to the door if the bell is rung, but fortunately, the dogs precede me, and I usually ascertain what the person wants through the sidelights. I try not to appear too rude, but I will say loudly and distinctly, 'NO, thank you," and walk away from the door. If they ask for help, I also use the 'please have a seat on the steps out front, where the police can see you, and assist you, and I will be more than happy to call.' You know, I have never had anyone ask me to do that for them.

Shame we have to be so careful nowadays, but I have a daughter I'd like to count on being around to see finish college, grow into her own -- and if something happened to me, I have no idea who'd want these two varmints we have in the house with us now.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:21 AM

2,934 posts, read 7,138,783 times
We usually get people at our door a couple times a month. I open the door and tell them "No Thanks, BYE". That's usually the extent of our conversation.

Old 06-14-2008, 06:18 PM

1 posts, read 4,749 times
Default :-(

South Nashville TN resident, I was cleaning my vehicle in my driveway when I was a approached by a young male who was then followed by a lady in a van. She showed me how effective the product was on the stains I was trying to clean in my car with my bissel spot cleanser. The only thing that won me over was the fact that she cleaned one of my seatbelts with the cleanser. I had previously tried to clean the same seatbelt with the bissel but was unsuccessful. I felt pretty passive during the sale and bought one bottle for 42 bucks. I packed up my car and left right after that sale.

I used part of the cleanser on a couple of spots while I was driving and managed to get off some makeup foundations off of my steering wheel which I couldn't do previously with windex.

Although kind of pricey, I'm praying I wasn't scammed and that the product works ok when I go back out to clean my vehicle with it. My fear is that the lady put another type of solution in her tester bottle and then sold me a less effective solution. I'm thinking that a cleaning solution is the same no matter who makes it. I'm not sure this is worth 40 bucks.

I'm hoping I did at least make a nice donation for someone working hard to sell door to door. I know how sales can be. If the solution sold to me does not work like her solution on the seatbelts, I'll be back on here with a negative posting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary