U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 12:11 PM

1,878 posts, read 4,657,751 times

Advertisements

I can't believe how many people are answering their doors! I NEVER answer the door unless I recognize someone or am expecting someone and they are in the right attire/vehicle. Everyone needs to be more careful please!

Old 02-04-2009, 05:20 PM

1,553 posts, read 3,873,510 times
I really don't understand all the fuss over people coming to your door. Stand up for yourself! It's your house. I'm of the mindset that if I wanted what someone was selling, I'd seek THEM out. Whether it's the mall, some guy on the street, or someone at my home, I have no problem saying, "I'm not interested, go away." If someone came to my door and did the stuff this 1-post person said, I'd tell them to "pee" off, and push them back out the door. I don't think that makes me a rude Yankee, it just seems like common sense.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:51 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,166,252 times
I have a rule: I don't open the door unless I'm expecting a visitor. My family and friends know they have to call before they come over to my house, otherwise I don't open the door. My daughter knows not to open the door if I'm not home; I'll call from my cell phone if I can't get in for some reason (hands full, can't find keys, etc). It's sad we have to be so cautious, but that's the world we live in now.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:47 PM

38 posts, read 127,983 times
This scam is active again...now in Durham off of 85-N. These guys 2 or 3 black males were going around my neighborhood today. They didn't get past the storm door. I told them no thanks and then about 5 minutes later some other idiot came to my door. They were driving a piece of crap dark blue van and were "demonstrating cleaning products trying to win a trip to California" I have no idea why my neighbor invited them in. I was not going to give them the opportunity to case my house.

Old 03-25-2009, 06:14 PM

9 posts, read 20,933 times
Quote:
I rarely answer the door when there are solicitors. My dogs usually scare them off.
Between that and us disabling our doorbell (I work from home and don't need the distractions), I never answer the door. The only time I do is if I see a UPS/Fedex truck or if a friend calls me saying "I'm outside. Let me in!" It is just easier particularly in my situation.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:03 PM

28 posts, read 70,261 times
WARNING: This happened in Atlanta where I currently live and there were warnings about it everywhere. Apparently two women were going around selling a similar product and once invited in, a van full of men would pull up to the house come in a take everything valuable and walk right out the front door. Call me paranoid, but I personally never open the door for anyone...this world is a very scary place!

Old 07-23-2009, 10:25 AM

722 posts, read 1,666,633 times
There's too many crazy people around these days, especially with the economy the way it is. I know that if someone comes to my door that I personally know, then they will call first. I do look through the peep hole to see if it's a neighbor. I'm always worried that someone who may look inocent is knocking at the door to try to "sell" something and while they are standing at your door talking to you they are scoping out what they can see to find out if there is something worthwhile to take later. I've heard of this happening. It may be different living out in the country where the population is lower, but I won't put if past somebody to do something like that in a more populated area.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:43 PM

16 posts, read 43,424 times
Default Like email

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahnraleigh View Post
A nonprofit company that does what? You failed to share any details of what your nonprofit company does.

Listen, if you collect money for a charitable cause, that's a great thing... but your method is not. Door to door sales is invasive, rude, and a waste of people's time. It's insulting to open your door to someone's sales pitch who is obviously banking on you not being smart enough to realize what it is they're doing. It doesn't matter if you have good will or not. There are plenty of other 'legit' methods to collecting charitable funds or selling a product.
I actually agree with this to a certain extent. It's better to do online campaigns or even direct mail. Door to door is just not safe anymore.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:06 PM

9,680 posts, read 23,481,401 times
We had a suspicious person in our area two weeks ago.

Knocked on doors and asked weird questions.

I told him to leave since we have posted no soliciting signs.

Very bad people can take many disguises to enter your home.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:38 AM

67 posts, read 190,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grawburg View Post
So two girls saying that they were in a rehab program for single mothers to get them sales skills and they're selling bottles of cleaner for $40 a pop here in Cary?!!?? Anyone else see them or people selling the same stuff? Just wondered if they were legit.

I just heard that this group was in Fuquay Varina yesterday. From what I was told, they are very pushy and don't like to take "No" for an asnwer. If you see a white Dodge Van driving around your neighborhood, it's probably them. I would advise that you don't even bother answering the door if they come to your house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary