U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 05:40 PM

103 posts, read 68,960 times

Advertisements

As an allergy sufferer, I made it through the 2 weeks in April when all was yellow & green. I took my allergy medication and waited for May, as I usually do. However, for the first time that I have seen, some sort of white pollen erupted in May and kicked the crap out of me. I have no idea what it is or why there was so much of it this year. Many people have told me that this year was by far the worst year ever for their allergies here and a lot of people had trouble that never knew they had allergies. Does anyone have any idea of what this white pollen is? I am assuming it is worse this year due to a mild Spring with plenty of rain every few days. I must have been a perfect storm. At least it seems to be calming down now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 05:46 PM

55 posts, read 158,649 times
I don't know, I think I've seen the exact opposite. I haven't suffered as much as I normally do. It's weird. Maybe I'm building up a tolerance, if there is such a thing.

Old 05-24-2008, 06:09 PM

9,680 posts, read 23,495,293 times
Watch the weather on News 14 Carolina (Time-Warner) for pollen graph by type.

Old 05-24-2008, 07:16 PM

103 posts, read 68,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Watch the weather on News 14 Carolina (Time-Warner) for pollen graph by type.

I have noticed different sites say different things. Some say Hickory trees are high and others say Oak. I am thinking it might be Hickory. Of course, I would not know a Hickory tree if it fell on me.

Old 05-24-2008, 08:52 PM

3,150 posts, read 6,956,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantGeek View Post
I don't know, I think I've seen the exact opposite. I haven't suffered as much as I normally do. It's weird. Maybe I'm building up a tolerance, if there is such a thing.
I agree. I usually have year-round allergies but this year so far I've only had to take allergy medicine for a total of 3 weeks and that was right before the thick, yellow, Pine pollen hit. Not quite sure what's going on but I'm definitely enjoying my new "immunity" to it like you. I'm still convinced allergies are contagious. I've never been allergic to anything my whole life until I started working with a guy who had was allergic to everything. Then a few months later I caught a cold that never went away. He told me that it sounded like allergies to him and to try some allergy medicine. Ever since then (that was back in 2000) I've had year-round allergies until this year. Good riddance.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:45 PM

381 posts, read 1,202,032 times
Looks like grass pollens up way up. I've been wondering, too. Every time I go biking (really enjoying the greenways in Cary), my eyes bother me for 2-3 days. Ugh!

Mike

Old 05-25-2008, 02:52 AM

9,680 posts, read 23,495,293 times
I usually do fine but was bad for a while this year.

Old 05-25-2008, 06:06 AM

1,553 posts, read 3,875,659 times
this is weird, because up in MA/NY, I have springtime allergies, and they've been really bad this year (they have for everyone). Seeing that everyone says NC has a ton of trees and my allergies will be worse, I was expecting to be inundated. Oddly enough, though, my allergies disappeared the moment I got off the plane here. It really had me wondering just what, exactly, I'm allergic to. (And hopeful that maybe when I move here they'll stop completely.)

Old 05-25-2008, 06:08 AM

4,597 posts, read 10,231,430 times
I heard the weather fellow on WTVD11 this morning say 'the grasses' were creating sinus problems for many. Rainfall has been plentiful too and you may have some issues with mold and/or mildew that you're not aware of, too. The area is 2.5" above annual rainfall right now? How nice, though, huh?

Old 05-25-2008, 07:50 AM

850 posts, read 3,337,189 times
I always had a slight allergy in the Fall (ragweed) in NJ but that was it. Here I've had a bit stronger reaction in the spring instead. We've been through 3 springs here now and this year is by far the worst. All my neighbors are having a tough time with allergies and some who have never had allergies at all before.

Lauren
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary