U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 03:18 PM

4,246 posts, read 7,654,662 times

Advertisements

Note: there are no blizzards here. He's just trying to scare you. Please don't put this onto the growing "things to scare newcomers list": bugs, bears and baptists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 03:29 PM

10,323 posts, read 18,704,789 times
Even some of the "Red" parts of NC are "Country Club Republicans", not "Hellfire and Brimstone" Republicans. Parts of Raleigh are pretty solidly Republican, but it's much more a fiscal conservatism than a "Religious Right" sort.

The really "RED" part of the state is at the edge of the mountains, NW of Charlotte, sort of between Winston-Salem, Charlotte, and Asheville. I wouldn't stay overnight in that area with, say, a Hillary bumper sticker, but in general, don't let the stereotypes of people outside the South, about this area, affect any decision; most of them are based on TV and movies, which are hopelessly behind the times and offensve (Southerners are the one demographic group it's still A-OK to stereotype and make fun of on TV).

Old 05-29-2008, 03:48 PM

3,155 posts, read 9,593,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Even some of the "Red" parts of NC are "Country Club Republicans", not "Hellfire and Brimstone" Republicans. Parts of Raleigh are pretty solidly Republican, but it's much more a fiscal conservatism than a "Religious Right" sort.
Country Club Republicans is a good way to describe them. Funny thing though, my granny was a NC "hellfire and brimstone Southern Baptist" as were all her friends. They were all straight ticket Democrates. Very few of them are alive now. But even in the Reagan, Daddy Bush years they voted Democrate. The older generations liked the Democrates because the demos use to be the party of the rural person, supported farmers, populist message and such.

NC has a very complex political past and to some degree present.

But as a person who loves to talk politics, I've found most people here that I've met to be pretty tight lipped about their politically views. Given my circle has not extended to Chapel Hill too much yet. In Portland it seemed like I couldn't work in my yard without striking up a political conversation with a neighbor.

Last edited by PDXmom; 05-29-2008 at 03:48 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-29-2008, 04:15 PM

64 posts, read 157,417 times
Wow... again thank you! I am really loving the info. PDXmom, you made such an interesting and astute, IMO, point about the west coast being very "polar". I've never thought of that before.. but I think you are definitely right! I think much of the western US is one extreme or the other. My husband and I feel like we've (secretly, no less) become MORE liberal since moving out here.. but really I think its just in retaliation to the oppression and massive presence of the religious, conservatives out here. It has definitely been hard for us since moving here and we couldn't understand why. We are originally from Ohio.. the most "split" state in the whole country so we are familiar with both sides, but have never experienced this type of exclusion before. Its such a strange mentality and I'm so exhausted from it. Its nice to think that maybe we (the west coast) are the exception and not the rule. I'm really looking forward to getting out of here and being in the company of friendlier folks.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:23 PM

5,507 posts, read 9,020,173 times
As with most cities with a high % of the population with college degrees it's a pretty progressive area.

Old 05-31-2008, 01:09 PM

12 posts, read 25,415 times
Megh, If I am reading your question correctly, it seems that you feel fine about the Carrboro/Chapel Hill area and the people that you may interact with on a daily basis but are interested in how the voters in the rest of the state impact your daily life.

If that's the question I would respond that my experience is that it is frustrating. I moved here from California and I've noticed that there are no where near the protections or services for consumers here that I took for granted in CA. Renter's rights are next to non-existent, the mental health reform has really ruined mental health care here (for more information do a search under mental health reform and some of the local papers). Schools outside of Chapel Hill continue to lay off necessary personnel because of lack of funds available. There's a fairly high dropout rate and a high teen pregnancy problem in NC. For poor people, there are very limited resources, especially if they are unfortunate enough to live outside of a major metropolitan area (Hillsborough for example, has no bus system). I can't remember the statistic for the number of North Carolinian children that live under the poverty level but it's significant. I've noticed a definite difference in race relations and feel there needs to be more healing here (well really, everywhere for that matter). I had a problem with transferring my health insurance and receiving major misinformation from a health insurance customer. Their mistake cost me $12,000. When I called to complain to the State Insurance Commissioner, I was told that that's not what the State Office is for (he couldn't tell me what it was for).

All of these things do affect your daily living and they can be enormously frustrating. On the other hand, you can be politically active if you choose to and help shape the state into a place that represents your beliefs more. I often get "spin" letters back from state and federal representatives (especially Dole) telling me that they really is doing a great job and pretty much ignoring my input, but they are representing the majority here so I shred those letters and continue to speak up when I can about issues that are important to me and plan to vote them out of office if I can.

The company benefits, health insurance and dental insurance I receive here are much less than they were in CA, but the care from providers is good.

I think other posters have made pretty accurate views and there are many, many things to like about North Carolina. Although frustrating, I don't think you'll feel the same sense of isolation that comes with having views that are very different from those around you and that does help a lot. You may want to do searches in the local papers about specific issues that are important to you to find out what you're getting into.

Most of the people in this area that I've interacted with are fairly tolerant. For me that makes a big difference and eases the frustration a bit. I feel this advantage strongly outweighs the disadvantages.

Last edited by Grateful Grace; 05-31-2008 at 01:16 PM.. Reason: grammar mistakes

Old 05-31-2008, 02:59 PM

1,553 posts, read 3,879,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
North Carolina is a "Red state" in Presidential elections
maybe not this year!

but to the OP, my fiancée and i are both liberal atheists, and we're moving next spring (to raleigh, not chapel hill). i figure if people are going to get upset by who we are, the forget them, they're not worth worrying about. but it seems to me that most people anywhere are somewhere near the center, and only really annoying people make politics/religion an issue between people

i think you (and we) will be fine

Old 05-31-2008, 03:54 PM

126 posts, read 408,947 times
One thing I'll add here is do NOT let it freak you out entirely when someone who is actually from here talks about The War of Northern Aggression or The War Between the States. That's just how they were taught in school to call the Civil War. And I'm talking about people in their thirties, even.

We're pretty liberal in my household and we live in a diverse neighborhood in North Raleigh. I've found people to be friendly and non-judgmental. And there are an awfully lot of Obama signs all over the place, I'm noticing, so November may well turn the state a brighter shade of purple.

Old 05-31-2008, 06:13 PM

5,507 posts, read 9,020,173 times
CNN.com Election 2004

Old 05-31-2008, 08:53 PM

3,155 posts, read 9,593,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WordWrangler View Post
One thing I'll add here is do NOT let it freak you out entirely when someone who is actually from here talks about The War of Northern Aggression or The War Between the States. That's just how they were taught in school to call the Civil War. And I'm talking about people in their thirties, even.
Huh? What school districts are you talking about? I grew up in NC in a small county in Eastern NC and my very Southern, very NC teachers did not refer to the The Civil War as The War of Northern Aggression or The War Between the States. And I'm beyond my 30s.

BTW, I've only heard the term War of Northern Agression in the 10 months I've been back in NC. It was a relative who thought they could get a rise out me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary