U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 11:39 PM

126 posts, read 409,472 times

Advertisements

Got it from friends of ours here. One was our realtor who grew up in Johnston Co and the other was her friend's husband who grew up here in Wake. They are both in their 30s.

We are orginally from WV and had never, ever heard it before we got here. Eastern NC, huh? I long for a home in Beaufort...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 01:37 AM

10,331 posts, read 18,757,577 times
Yes, no school calls the Civil war "the War of Northern Aggression"; that's more a Hollywood portrayal of Southerners, or an "tongue-in-cheek reference among "old school" Southerners. The truth is, if Northerners would stop stereotyping us as a bunch of Bible-thumping hicks, we'd stop thinking of them as "Carpetbaggers"

Old 06-01-2008, 07:11 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,426,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megh View Post
My husband and I are planning on relocating our family to the Chapel Hill (specifically Carrboro) area. We've done all our research on the area and visited a few times. We absolutely love the area and it is an awesome fit for us and the lifestyle we desire. My husband's only hang up is that is seems to be a bastion of liberal minded, well-educated friendly folks in an overall very conservative state. I, personally, don't think that we'll be impacted that much it, but his concern is with NC state laws and policies being drive by an overwhelming conservative line of thought. He's kind of overprotective when it comes to things like education and health care which are held in the hands of the states and not the individual cities so much.

Is this something to worry about.. or not at all?

Does anyone have any thoughts about this or experiences they could share?
My wife and I have political views which are broadly similar to yours, and our last two residences have been in St. Louis, Missouri, where the two big cities are liberal but the rest of the state is quite conservative, and Massachusetts. While I love where we live in Massachusetts, in one sense I preferred living in Missouri because my vote in national and federal (senator) elections counted, and there was more obvious opportunity to try to put my political beliefs into action and effect political change. That's one of the things I'm looking forward to in my upcoming (22 days) move to NC.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:21 AM

1,553 posts, read 3,886,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff2v View Post
My wife and I have political views which are broadly similar to yours, and our last two residences have been in St. Louis, Missouri, where the two big cities are liberal but the rest of the state is quite conservative, and Massachusetts. While I love where we live in Massachusetts, in one sense I preferred living in Missouri because my vote in national and federal (senator) elections counted, and there was more obvious opportunity to try to put my political beliefs into action and effect political change. That's one of the things I'm looking forward to in my upcoming (22 days) move to NC.
Lucky you, moving so soon! I could care less about my vote "counting," as I'm just one person. I still do my part, but I'd prefer to live among liberal people and pretend that's the way the world is, than live among conservatives and try to change them.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:49 AM

3,155 posts, read 9,608,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff2v View Post
in one sense I preferred living in Missouri because my vote in national and federal (senator) elections counted, and there was more obvious opportunity to try to put my political beliefs into action and effect political change. That's one of the things I'm looking forward to in my upcoming (22 days) move to NC.
My Blue Friends in Portland, charged me with turning the state of NC Blue or at least Purple this next election. Good to hear there are other new comers who will be helping achieve this.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:25 PM

3,021 posts, read 9,945,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
My Blue Friends in Portland, charged me with turning the state of NC Blue or at least Purple this next election. Good to hear there are other new comers who will be helping achieve this.
That's quite a task to place on your shoulders, PDXmom!

And since you mentioned it earlier, I've found that some people are very willing to discuss politics, but usually only if they feel you're on the same page. For instance, I was at a party last weekend & a bunch of us got into a great discussion about the democratic nomination and gay marriage. I'm sure the mojitos helped make us more comfortable, too, but it's always easier when you're preaching to the choir.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:37 PM

336 posts, read 1,372,833 times
mrssteel, we should hang out sometime : )

Old 06-01-2008, 01:36 PM

3,021 posts, read 9,945,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaof2 View Post
mrssteel, we should hang out sometime : )
It's because I mentioned mojitos, isn't it.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:48 PM

64 posts, read 157,724 times
Wow... liberals DO exist!! I was afraid my own kind had become extincted during the Big Bush era! LOL!!

I mean.. its not uncommon in these parts to see someone STILL driving a Hummer with a Bush/ Cheney '04 bumper sticker! God.. I can wait to get out of this crazy place and have a few mojitos!

Old 06-01-2008, 08:01 PM

1,553 posts, read 3,886,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megh View Post
its not uncommon in these parts to see someone STILL driving a Hummer with a Bush/ Cheney '04 bumper sticker! God.. I can wait to get out of this crazy place and have a few mojitos!
we see them here in MA too. i try to cut them off and flip them the bird. they know why. it's the Massachusetts way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary