U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 06:37 AM

245 posts, read 727,847 times

Advertisements

Hello!
We are looking at houses this morning in Kenilworth, across from Fresh Market. In theory I love this location, because my car could fall apart and I probably wouldn't notice for a week (everything I need is walkable)! How nice would that be????

How is the YMCA there? Is it updated, long hours, not too crowded, etc? We have been VERY happy with our membership at Lifetime Fitness, but obviously I would strongly consider changing so that I could just walk on over to the facilities. When we joined Lifetime we paid $250 initiation, and now pay $114/month family membership. Would Y be compatible? (and yes, I do think we paid too much, given the mail promotions I've seen lately.... but I do still love that gym)

Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 06:58 AM

2,270 posts, read 8,101,423 times
I'd suggest you walk in and ask for a tour. We do belong there, and we like it, and we haven't found the facilities too crowded. However, I have been to Lifetime once and the YMCA is definitely not as new and shiny as Lifetime and I don't know if you would like it as much. The membership is cheaper per month; I'm not sure on initiation. Anyway, the Y is very willing to give tours, so just go in and see if it works for you.

Old 05-25-2008, 12:43 PM

71 posts, read 207,214 times
The Cary YMCA is running a half-price enrollment special ($125 instead of $250) through May, so check it out soon.

Old 05-25-2008, 04:57 PM

5,357 posts, read 15,048,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter'sDad View Post
The Cary YMCA is running a half-price enrollment special ($125 instead of $250) through May, so check it out soon.

Does this apply to the other Y locations as well? I'm interested in the new one on Holly Springs Rd, just south of Ten Ten.

Old 05-25-2008, 05:11 PM

84 posts, read 328,794 times
Default Check out the Kraft YMCA specials too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Does this apply to the other Y locations as well? I'm interested in the new one on Holly Springs Rd, just south of Ten Ten.
I heard the new Kraft YMCA is running a special too. I think it ends in June. I don't know what it is as I was already a Cary Y member and then upgraded my membership to a Triangle Y membership so I could go to the new Kraft Y and Cary location. What a deal for just a few dollars more a month and the Kraft Y is absolutely beautiful! I love running on the indoor track with all the windows and bright sunlight spilling in versus the Cary's dark atomosphere around the track. The orginal poster should check out the Kraft Y too as it is less than a 15 minute drive even though he mentioned he wants to walk when his car is down.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:19 PM

Oh, my car is fine, I just hate sitting in it (!) Great info about paying a few extra $$ for access to more than one Y, are other locations included? We used to belong to Peak Fitness (joined when it was kX Fitness) on 55 in Apex, and I loved the fact that so many locations were available... I must have hit 6 or 7 in the area.

Old 05-26-2008, 02:42 PM

2,270 posts, read 8,101,423 times
A Triangle YMCA membership covers all the locations on their web site. YMCA of the Triangle Area Home

Old 05-27-2008, 10:27 AM

I just counted twelve locations, more or less, that that membership would get you into. That is a fantastic deal!

Old 05-27-2008, 11:00 AM

5,357 posts, read 15,048,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceili723 View Post
I just counted twelve locations, more or less, that that membership would get you into. That is a fantastic deal!
I fail to see how paying $250 initiation + $1200/year for a family membership to the YMCA is a "fantasitic deal". Maybe I'm missing something.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:35 AM

2,135 posts, read 6,833,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
I fail to see how paying $250 initiation + $1200/year for a family membership to the YMCA is a "fantasitic deal". Maybe I'm missing something.
Actually, I don't think it's that fantastic. But it's not bad, probably just average. Since I am walking distance to the Cary Y I have no use for a Triangle membership. I don't plan on going to any other branches. What is fantastic is unlimited childcare (2 hrs max each visit) for a flat rate of $10 for all of your children per month.

My first pick was a subdivision that had it's own pool. I figured it wouldn't be as crowded as the Y. But now the pool and the gym is walking distance for me. That wouldn't have been the case with most of the subdivisions I looked at. The best thing about the Parkway P.U.D. neighborhoods near the Y is that are also walking distance to the Greenway and Bond Park. When I looked at the whole package that sealed the deal for me! It's a great location off of Cary Parkway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary