U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 10:09 AM

277 posts, read 709,132 times

Advertisements

I've wondered that for so long.

Nice to have such helpful people - this forum is so great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 01:32 PM

446 posts, read 1,253,033 times
Is that in the area between FV and HS that FV wants to annex? Not sure, but could be a concern.

Old 06-23-2008, 06:59 PM

4 posts, read 8,221 times
You can afford Cary.

Be creative, there are a lot of neighborhoods "flipping". By that I mean you can get .3-.5 acres of homes that are very well built that can be gutted and modernized, and you will "still" be well under $450K. I'm talking about homes that cost $180-$200K.

Trust me, I bought one 7 months ago.

Cary was voted one of the safest places to live in the south. There really are no bad areas.

Old 06-24-2008, 12:59 AM

505 posts, read 2,268,853 times
You are going to be a good haul from RTP anywhere in F-V. Even from the areas mentioned above...you will have to head all the way up 401...to south raleigh...then the beltline.

Or you could head to Cary or Apex...get on the beltline that way...which takes a few minutes longer. (55 or Kildaire farm-tryon)

But if you don't mind the drive...I recommend Fuquay-Varina. It's a nice little town.

There are some smaller homes near Fuquay Elementary on Johnson pond rd as someone mentioned above...they could fit what you are looking for...but a bit cheaper in appearance. Also look at sections of Crooked creek (not all). You may find some centex homes that fit your price range

Old 06-24-2008, 06:38 AM

52 posts, read 182,479 times
My commute from F-V to RTP takes 30-35 minutes. I take 55 to Salem St. in Apex to Davis Drive. Davis will soon be a 4-lane road all the way from High House into the heart of RTP. The entire drive is on 4-lane roads except for getting to 55 and the small stretch through downtown Apex.

The key to the 30-35 minute commute is off-peak driving. I leave F-V at 6:30am, and RTP at 3:45pm. Carpooling helps with gas - I ride-share with three other people so I use less than a tank of gas a month.

So if you can be a little flexible, living in F-V and commuting to RTP can be easy on you and your gas budget.

Oh, and Fuquay Varina is a great little town that used to be two towns, so in effect we have two downtowns, old Fuquay and old Varina. And withthe Kohl's being built near Five Points, I see myself needing to drive to Cary/Apex for shopping a whole lot less.

Last edited by Fuquay Caniac; 06-24-2008 at 06:47 AM..

Old 06-24-2008, 02:45 PM

188 posts, read 1,032,717 times
Default FV is not a bad commute

Again, it depends on when you are going, but during normal hours (ie. not middle of rush hour) these are the times it takes me to get places.

Grocery/Restaurants/Supplies etc. -- less than 5 mins
Holly Springs -- 5-10 mins
Garner -- 15 mins
Apex -- 15-20 mins
Crossroads -- 20 mins
Crabtree -- 30 mins
RTP -- 35 mins
Southpoint -- 40-45 mins
RDU -- 35-40 mins
I-40 via 42/210/401 -- 10-25 mins

With the addition of Kohls in FV and Target in HS, it's becoming less necessary to go into Cary/Raleigh. The one factor is work and if you do work in RTP, 55 can be a bear in the morning. However, there are little-used alternative routes that shave a significant amount of time. I can still get to RTP, during rush hour in 40 mins or less.

As for homes, money does go a lot further down here in FV even in today's market. It's still a great place to buy a starter home under 200K and larger homes are being built in a number of new communities.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:41 PM

505 posts, read 2,268,853 times
I think the new Kohls in F-V is a waste of space myself. Don't you think it is unusul for a shopping center to have just one main store? Usually there will be a Marshalls, bed bath...etc included.

I wonder what smaller stores will locate there? I bet one will be a cell phone co...lol

Old 06-25-2008, 06:57 AM

446 posts, read 1,253,033 times
Dear Lord, please bring me a Borders and a Dick's Sporting Goods next to Kohls. Amen.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:08 AM

52 posts, read 182,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beffrey2 View Post
I think the new Kohls in F-V is a waste of space myself. Don't you think it is unusul for a shopping center to have just one main store? Usually there will be a Marshalls, bed bath...etc included.

I wonder what smaller stores will locate there? I bet one will be a cell phone co...lol

A waste of space? No way! There arenít many other department stores in southern Wake / northern Harnett. Kohls will be a very strong anchor in that shopping center, and probably would do just fine on itís own like many Kohls stores.

The only thing that could have made the center stronger was maybe adding a Circuit City or Best Buy (even though I despise both stores), but I am not sure the area could support either one of those stores yet. Probably why there is no Bed Bath and Beyond or Dickís Sporting Goods going in either.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:20 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,704,853 times
Oh to the poster that asked:
That area is where Fuquay WILL annex when the time comes. So one cost is that when that happends the homeowners have to pay to hook up to the sewer and that is big $. But that also means that large lots will disappear in new buildingbecause sewer will be available.
I heard this from the town of Holly Springs, they have no idea when it will occur but it is already agreed that Fuquay can Annex that area.

Also property taxes will DOUBLE when they annex vs paying only county taxes.
Seeing how the area has ALOT of plans for stores and such on 55 close by, i think this might happen sooner than anyone thinks. Bye bye country
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary