U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2008, 08:38 AM

1,841 posts, read 4,092,354 times

Advertisements

I especially wouldn't in a Blue Collar Neighborhood.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 01:06 PM

7,695 posts, read 12,838,929 times
I hate it when I am home alone and working out in the yard and a stranger walks right up to you. I have had solicitors walk around to the back yard and approach me.
Creepy.

Old 05-26-2008, 03:59 PM

414 posts, read 1,130,853 times
What's worse is when I had my house on the market, I had all kinds of randoms coming up to knock and wanting to come in. Uh.. this isn't a model home. I live here! Some of them were drunk or "out of sorts" when they came a bangin'. Weird.

Old 05-26-2008, 05:13 PM

17 posts, read 56,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncsmomndad View Post
Not long ago there was a woman who knocked on the door of a neighbor in the late evening (10-11pm) saying she was having car trouble and needed to use the phone. The neighbor talked to her through the glass sidelight and offered to call help for her. The woman at the door ran out to a waiting car in front of the house that was quickly driven off. Scary. We have an intercom system that we can use to talk to the person at the door without having to answer it.
I moved to Raleigh from Savannah, GA two years ago. This exact thing happened to me in Savannah. I am a bit of a night owl and was up late one Friday night while my wife was asleep. Around midnight the doorbell rang. I looked out the window and there was a shady-looking middle age guy there telling me there was a car accident around the block and he needed me to come outside. I said no. He asked me again and then hopped in an idling car that was parked by the curb and took off.

Part of the reason we left Savannah was the bad crime. We are in Wake Forest now, and while we haven't had any incidents, we do get tons of people coming to our door selling stuff. I usually think twice now about opening the door.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:48 PM

3,155 posts, read 9,578,322 times
I posted my little story behind this on the other thread about the cleaner salesman. But a friend of mine had a great sign
"We do not open the door for strangers, so please do not knock".

Also, if someone comes to the door needing help w/ a car issue, just offer to call the police for them. If they need the help they'll appreciate it, if not they'll hopefully leave.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:46 AM

578 posts, read 2,783,975 times
I had a whole-house intercom in my last house. It was an old Ferris Beuhler model with ginormous beige boxes sticking out of the walls and hideous to look at. But it was great for answering the door and telling solicitors to bugger off without having to even bother peeking through the door.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:01 AM

11,791 posts, read 27,436,549 times
I saw a really neat looking front porch mat the other day but hubby wouldn't allow me to buy it. All it said was "LEAVE".

Vicki

Old 05-27-2008, 10:46 AM

353 posts, read 1,235,950 times
I would not open the door to anyone. Always talk through the door and depending on what they say or how you feel, just say "Now is not a good time. Sorry." I don't feel there is a need to explain yourself. That would be enough to have them leave. If they look suspicious - call the cops. You may get them off your doorstep, but if they are up to no good, they can hurt a neighbor. Better safe than sorry.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:11 AM

426 posts, read 1,295,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
I especially wouldn't in a Blue Collar Neighborhood.
The Watts-Hillandale listserv is abuzz with a "scammer" who's been victimizing the neighborhood. He's held a couple people up at knife point. If you know WH, you'd know it's definitely not blue collar. This can happen anywhere.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:43 AM

9,680 posts, read 23,481,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I saw a really neat looking front porch mat the other day but hubby wouldn't allow me to buy it. All it said was "LEAVE".

Vicki

Where may I buy it, Vicki?

I once saw a neat sign in a rather seedy area we resided in in Los Angeles:

"NO TRESPASSING

Survivors will be prosecuted"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary