U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 08:21 AM

8,395 posts, read 15,186,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
One of my favorite mats read "Nice undies." I came across it in a catalog I was not familiar with of quirky things.

I have often wondered why the elderly are so easily scammed. They have had far more life's experiences. . . I find I have become less trusting, less naive over the years, and smarter about some things, like opening doors to strangers, paying attention to my surroundings in a shopping center.

As a young mommy with a baby in a carriage or stroller, I realized one day just how very vulnerable I was. Anyone could grab a hold of the carriage and threaten me with anything, and I'd have gotten them the moon and the stars if I had to, to ensure the safety of my little one.
Once in NYC, I was coming up the subway stairs holding my then infant daughter.

Wife was already at the top and saw a guy getting ready to pick my pocket knowing I'd never drop the baby to stop him.

She took a beer bottle from a trash can, broke it, and held it so the thief could see his fate.

He decided not to try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 09:39 AM

113 posts, read 304,667 times
I've lived ITB for 7 years and have always answered the door. I don't buy anything - and I don't invite people in - but I at least answer the door and act courteous. I'd rather take the chance than feel that life's that bad these days.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:59 AM

3,033 posts, read 5,947,091 times
In my town here in MA, soliciters must have a permit to go door-to-door (college kids selling encyclopedias during the summer are a big draw for some reason?). I don't open the door to strangers either. But if they knock, I make them hold their permit up to the window so I can read the number. Then I make them cool their heels outside while I call town hall to see if it's a valid permit #. Then I go back and say "it appears you have a valid permit but I don't open the door to strangers".

Works better than the "no soliciters" sign on the door!

Old 05-29-2008, 01:55 PM

160 posts, read 385,796 times
Yes, I'm with Cackalackie. Unless I have some reason to feel the person is dangerous, I'll open the door and be polite. Religious proselytizers are just doing what they feel to be their duty. Ditto for those working for a cause they believe in. Solicitors tend to be folks who are down on their luck, so I don't want to make them feel any worse than they probably already do. I'll politely explain to scammers that they are breaking the law and I am obligated to call the police -- and then I'll do it.

I suppose it's possible that one day I'll make a mistake and open the door to someone with dangerous intent. But it's not very likely; it's not something that I've known to happen here in Raleigh.

About twelve years ago, my very old car threw a rod while I was far from home. I knocked on a door and was very grateful that somebody answered the door and called a tow truck for me. That's the kind of world I'd rather live in.

Old 05-29-2008, 02:30 PM

7,813 posts, read 10,075,810 times
Quote:
Once in NYC, I was coming up the subway stairs holding my then infant daughter.

Wife was already at the top and saw a guy getting ready to pick my pocket knowing I'd never drop the baby to stop him.

She took a beer bottle from a trash can, broke it, and held it so the thief could see his fate.

He decided not to try.
And what does this have to do with Ral-Dur-Chapel Hill?

Quote:
About twelve years ago, my very old car threw a rod while I was far from home. I knocked on a door and was very grateful that somebody answered the door and called a tow truck for me. That's the kind of world I'd rather live in.
Yes, that is the unfortunate downside of all of this. Most people really ARE perfectly harmless and have good reasons to knock.

Being a 6'3" man, I hope I never have to knock on a door for help, because no way will anyone answer it; I would stand far back from the door and if I saw someone near the door, say "Can you call the police for me, my problem is ____"

Old 05-29-2008, 02:41 PM

4,597 posts, read 7,315,892 times
I think my earlier post was being validated, Francois -- that with a baby, or small child in tow, and perhaps alone, someone might try to get you to do something if the child is threatened. Saturnfan commented about my concern after my daughter was born -- I no longer walked, with her in a stroller or carriage, in areas that I might have before then. You'll have to put his comment in context to see how it goes with our discussion here on the thread.

While I like to think I live in a very safe area, I am often home, alone, and am more hesitant these days to open the door. It doesn't take much for someone to overpower another individual. My neighbors are away at work and school, and in the event I had been rendered helpless, or hurt, it would be many hours before anyone might become aware of the fact.

Ten or twenty years ago, I'd have thought nothing of opening the door, but today, my circumstances are different, if not the area's. If a person truly needs help, I see nothing wrong with calling the police to assist them, while they wait for help, nor do I think it is discourteous. Some people who have become the worst victims, fell prey to things like the cry of an infant outside a door, or someone pleading for help. I think I read on Snopes not too long ago that some of these events were not 'urban legends'?

Old 05-29-2008, 06:48 PM

8,395 posts, read 15,186,972 times
Thank you, that was exactly my reason for bringing the subway experience into our thread.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:06 PM

61 posts, read 111,248 times
When you no longer feel safe to open the door to a stranger, you remove yourself as a part of a healthy community
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary