U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 08:10 PM

850 posts, read 3,336,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavincainjuly View Post
How....? What were you...? They can access....?

I want to ask, but do I really want to know???

Never mind.
lol...all a tick needs is access to your ankles, they can and do crawl where EVER they want on you! You can feel the bigger adult ones but not the littler young ticks.

Lauren
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 08:43 PM

3,744 posts, read 9,439,107 times
Was that Busch Beans??????? lol...sorry, I couldn't resist.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:08 PM

29,462 posts, read 33,699,747 times
Being a transplant and fearing the dreaded North Carolina insects I had both my house and yard professionally treated. Within days there were more dead insects all over my yard that it made me wonder what would happen if I hadn't. We have wood and the were sprayed about 10 foot deep and we have not yet (knock on wood) seen a tick and we have very few problems with mosquito's

Old 05-27-2008, 05:16 AM

241 posts, read 684,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
You're tellin' me! I found one attached to me yesterday. I felt this pinch down . . . . you know. . . . . near my frank and beans. . . . .there he was. Attached to one of the beans.
How'd you get frank and beans in your underwear? ..... J/K

Old 05-27-2008, 05:41 AM

4,597 posts, read 10,227,249 times
WE keep Deep Woods OFF! in the trunks of our cars, and one in the garage (which I hadn't used, but will, until we stop seeing the things in the yard). We determined just yesterday the ticks are coming from mulch delivered this Spring. We both were working in the beds over the long weekend, and Hubby surmises this is where he 'invited' the little fellows to join him for lunch.

Three red, ugly-looking bites on his upper thigh. As if it is some consolation, once you have contracted RMSF, you are immune to it, but its effects are far-reaching and pretty bad. There are other tick-borne illnesses also of concern, like Lyme's.

Precaution is key. I'd keep some tick spray at a place where the family could easily access it. It's in the trunk of our cars because we often take the dogs on long walks in wooded areas, like over at Crabtree or Jordan Lake. They are protected with Frontline, but we always look for the little devils, too.

Inspect one another before you bathe, and after removing one be sure to clean the area with soap and water. Marking the bite was a good idea, as was hanging onto the tick. That would have helped when my husband was being diagnosed. It's like a series of eliminations, then a tentative diagnosis is given, antibiotics are begun, and after about two weeks the diagnosis is confirmed. In the meanwhile, you are one sick puppy. I seem to recall he missed about 10 days of work, and then was so fatigued, until he worked 1/2 days for a good while. He goes for check-ups now about every 4-6 weeks.

These tick-borne illnesses generate high fevers, affect liver enzymes and function, and the heart. We were seeing inverted T waves on ekgs. He knew he was sick enough to have to go to the ER when his fever was climbing up to 101 and 102 -- too high for an adult.

Wonder why we are seeing such a problem with them? Did the hot dry summer last year have anything to do with it? or the wet spring thus far?

Old 05-27-2008, 05:48 AM

4,188 posts, read 9,811,768 times
From today's N&O -

newsobserver.com | Ah, a summer walk in the woods ... oh ick, a tick! (http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/1086207.html - broken link)

(ticks gross me out like no other insect.. *shudder*)

Old 05-27-2008, 06:05 AM

4,597 posts, read 10,227,249 times
Good info. Seems the folks at NCSU are seeing what the rest of us claim -- more ticks. They attribute it to the mild winter and wet conditions, so now I know why we seem to be seeing more of them.

Interesting that they are finding more tick-borne illnesses, including a RMSF-like illness, and the other diagnosed in Chatham County 10 years ago.

Thanks much for the link.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:12 AM

747 posts, read 1,487,581 times
I've had two ticks on me this year. One was carried in on the dog and another one attached to me while gardening. I spotted another one crawling up my dog's leg and swatted it off. Ultimately, Frontline seems to protect her but I'm defenseless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
As for a flea prevention for the dog, make sure you use Frontline or Advantix.....If you use flea and tick shampoo or regular shampoo, you'll wash the product off.
Frontline is water proof according to their Web site:

FRONTLINE will remain waterproof and won’t rinse off – even through your cat’s self-grooming or your dog’s monthly bath or swim. In fact, FRONTLINE doesn't stop working for an entire month, giving your pet non-stop flea and tick control.

We've had no trouble with fleas/ticks even after giving our dog a bath.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:22 PM

174 posts, read 519,421 times
It's suggested by folks at the CDC that you don't apply rubbing alcohol (a match, petroleum jelly, etc.) to the tick. Although they don't know for sure, there's a chance that these methods may make the tick salivate and regurgitate into the attachment site. YUUUUUUKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I looked into tick repellents last year (after my honey got RMSF) and found that the most recommended were permethrin on your clothing, DEET based products for your skin or, for non-DEET products, lemon-eucalyptus oil.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:50 PM

245 posts, read 727,847 times
Ugh! I'm glad nobody knows my real name, b/c I feel personally responsible for this infestation.... I'm sure they hid away in our moving van when we left (FLED) Connecticut in 2005!!!!!!!!!

If you see ticks on you or your pet, get them off as soon as possible. I am going to have to do more research on Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, but people should also be aware of Lyme Disease, as pets in Cary and environs did test postive for it last year. If you come into contact with a tick, and then notice a circular "bull's eye" rash anywhere on your body, see a doctor immediately. Even better, take a picture of the rash to bring with you... in case it fades or for whatever reason the MD doesn't recognize it. I was so scared of Lyme Disease until I lived in CT where pretty much everyone I knew had contracted it at one point or another. When I myself got a rash, I took a picture, got on a 14 day course of antibiotics, and have had no issues since (the same is true for the vast majority of people I know who have had it.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary