U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 10:10 PM

42 posts, read 149,150 times

Advertisements

Please keep us apprised as to how he's doing and what the doctors find. In the meantime, will be praying for you all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 08:22 AM

4,597 posts, read 10,228,716 times
Smile Just an update

Thank you Guys for your warm thoughts. Meant a lot to me, and I shared them with Mr. Rdslots -- he is a big CD fan, too, bless his heart.

We are being seen by an infectious diseases DR here -- that alone sounds 'creepy' to me. They are running more tests, drawing blood, and did an MRI yesterday. He has been told he will be in the hospital awhile, and at least until his fever is below 100.3. I learned something 'new' in that the medical community doesn't even consider a fever a 'fever' until it passes 100.3, but for an adult, a fever of 102.5 necessitates a trip to the ER. Children can spike into the 104-105 range, but 102 for an adult is a note of concern. The things you learn! Not only should babies come with instruction manuals, but they should be updated for adults.

He is being looked at for RMSF, again (the DR won't accept the diagnosis from Labor Day, even with a letter from the State of NC we got, and the report from the CDC -- I don't know if I like this Guy, or not ), as well as a slew of other tick-borne illnesses. He also mentioned West Nile virus, from skeeters, although he contends it's a bit early, and even staph.

I also hope you understand I am only sharing this because I want to drive home the point to take precautions. It is as simple as wearing a product like OFF!, or other things mentioned here -- if it is tick-borne, or from mosquitoes. Scary, too, are the far-reaching and long-lasting complications.

Oh, the large ticks on your pets are not the ones to worry about, although you want to keep them on meds, or *whatever* too. (The dogs, not the ticks. )

Old 06-08-2008, 07:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,532 times
Default Deep Woods Off....

I'm reluctant to spray anything (Deep Woods Off w/Deet) that will kill Poison Ivy in 24 hours on my skin. I discovered this last year and killed a majority of the Poison Ivy on my property with one can of Deep Woods Off.

Anyone know why this stuff kills Poison Ivy?

Old 06-09-2008, 06:58 AM

850 posts, read 3,336,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCFatBoy View Post
I'm reluctant to spray anything (Deep Woods Off w/Deet) that will kill Poison Ivy in 24 hours on my skin. I discovered this last year and killed a majority of the Poison Ivy on my property with one can of Deep Woods Off.

Anyone know why this stuff kills Poison Ivy?
DEET is pretty nasty stuff, maybe that's why? Its I believe over 50% DEET.
HSDB Search Results - Frameset

The CDC a few years ago (2005) put out a press release that Lemon Eucalpytus essential oil was just as effective as DEET. I make my own bug spray which works wonders for many of the biters but I can't seem to get my kids to spray it on their ankles before running around during the day. Maybe it'd work against ticks?

Lauren

Old 06-09-2008, 07:05 AM

8,264 posts, read 21,810,162 times
We have been finding them crawling around the house this year! In my 36 years here, I've never seen them just crawling around in my house. Never. But strangely enough, no one has actually been bitten yet, even the cats.

Old 06-09-2008, 03:40 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,407,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren4521 View Post
The CDC a few years ago (2005) put out a press release that Lemon Eucalyptus essential oil was just as effective as DEET.
Where can you recommend picking up some of this. And, when you make the spray, are you diluting it or using it full strength using just a simple plastic spray bottle?

Old 06-10-2008, 05:47 AM

850 posts, read 3,336,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBoy View Post
Where can you recommend picking up some of this. And, when you make the spray, are you diluting it or using it full strength using just a simple plastic spray bottle?
The lemon eucalyptus oil can be purchased online. If you want to know where I get mine, just PM me and I'll share (I don't make a profit...just a customer). The little bottles aren't cheap but they will last a LONG LONG time as you only need a couple drops.

I usually buy little amber or cobalt glass spray bottles from the same place. I mix a variety of things in the spray.....but its basically half water, half oil. I know, oil & water don't mix but a good shaking prior to use is all it needs. And you end up with a spray that goes on nicely AND you can still rub in (read: goes a long way).

I use mostly Jojoba oil which you can get in any health food store. Its actually a wax that is very much like our own skin oils so its not very greasy and absorbs well. I usually put a little bit of aloe juice in it as well. Then I add a few drops of lemon eucalpytus, some of catnip essential oil (supposed to be good for mosquitoes...there's also a press release somewhere on this one...think from the CDC), some citronella essential oil and some geranium essential oil (this one is supposed to be good against ticks and it smells nice).

Then put in about the same amount of water as what is in the spritzer bottle and there you go. It really does work well for me for mosquitoes though haven't tested the ticks with it yet (not really wanting to do that either). And its not toxic at all (to spray on your skin...don't be drinking it)

Lauren

Old 04-06-2009, 08:56 AM

747 posts, read 1,487,793 times
Man, the ticks are already bad this year. We found four of them in the house this weekend.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:00 AM

4,188 posts, read 9,813,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldamon View Post
Man, the ticks are already bad this year. We found four of them in the house this weekend.
Eww.. I found one crawling on my sock last week. I guess it came in on one of the dogs. I haven't found any on them though. I suppose if I see more I should look into tick prevention - it's very different living in a wooded area vs. a barren nearly treeless subdivision!

Old 04-06-2009, 09:01 AM

22,974 posts, read 57,230,832 times
ooh you are not kidding Im crossing baby ticks the size of this period .

It time to give the dog a flea and tick bath... she not going to be happy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary